Starter took a shit this morning?

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
Well fun morning, I go to start my car... sounds a little weak, I hear a clunk and a little electric motor just spinning.

Occasionally the engine will get a bump, I am thinking the gear teeth on the starter got shredded off.

So every time i try to start it's just free spinning, should i just swap the starter out or is there a gear replacement? pretty sure I could do it myself.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Starter drops right out with 2 bolts, the starter turns the teeth on the outside of the flywheel. You cant find individual parts for our starters and they have the starter solenoid built in to them on the same unit, unlike older cars where they can be replaced separately. But if you can find a local shop that specializes in them they may be able to rebuild it.

I had a terminal post break off my solenoid on the starter, I bought a reman at a local shop and replaced it. He said I could bring mine that broke in for repair but never got around to it.

Last edited:

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
What are the chances that the flywheel is chipped versus the little starter pinion?
I am going to vatozone at lunch and grabbing a starter.

Edit: Thinking about this again, doubt it's stripped bet the little solenoid just took a shit and isn't pushing the starters gear towards the flywheel.
Either way new starter is in order.

Last edited:

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
What are the chances that the flywheel is chipped versus the little starter pinion?
I am going to vatozone at lunch and grabbing a starter.

Edit: Thinking about this again, doubt it's stripped bet the little solenoid just took a shit and isn't pushing the starters gear towards the flywheel.
Either way new starter is in order.

I've never seen it, the flywheel outer ring is stronger than the starter gear.

Solenoid is usually what fails, it sucks that you can't just swap the solenoid as it's built into the starter housing on our cars.

Cade(go302) just had his starter go out as well, so looks like the 3v starters are starting to give up the ghost lol

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
Tooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooon!!!

:crazy:
I know your car will never this kind of thing (you know parts wearing and all) with both the miles you have on the caR :thud:

3v's need upgraded starters when you break into the 11's

I figured I was just too fast for it breh.

I've never seen it, the flywheel outer ring is stronger than the starter gear.

Solenoid is usually what fails, it sucks that you can't just swap the solenoid as it's built into the starter housing on our cars.

Cade(go302) just had his starter go out as well, so looks like the 3v starters are starting to give up the ghost lol

This one looks like the solenoid is removabale, maybe the OEM one is not the same. eh starter it is thanks brother! I'd throw a fit if my flywheel was stripped lol.
lrs-11002f_1571.jpg

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
It does indeed, yeah the oem one I have is built into it. And my reman is as well. Nice find though! I needed a new one that day to get my car running and to the dyno so I went local. On second thought I need to look at my old one and see if I can remove it and replace, just have to find the solenoid somewhere that would fit it. Or I could probably get the terminal stud welded back on that sheared off, not sure which would be cheaper as I know my starter and solenoid is still good.

Last edited:

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
10MM is the bolt size to remove the the 3 bolts and you will need long extensions to get to the one on top.

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
Yea I am going to stick to local, vatozone has one with a lifetime warranty for $169 and it's just a few min away from me.
10MM is the bolt size to remove the the 3 bolts and you will need long extensions to get to the one on top.

Yea I have all kinds of wiggly sockets/extensions for that bitch.

My baby will be back on the road soon! my cts-v is such a boring beater.

BadPiggy

Hooligan Asshole
Reaction score
I've seen ONE flywheel in my lifetime with broken teeth...and it happened to be on my car. Once in a blue moon the broken teeth would line up with my starter and the starter would kick in but there was nothing to grab on the flywheel. Easy fix...rock the car back/forth in gear 3-4 times and it would roll the flywheel enough to get a tooth in line for the starter to grab. HEY...I was a young buck still in school and we were poor. Had to improvise. LOL

Gonna pass some knowledge to you young bucks that may not know this. When these starters start going out, if you can get to the main body (armature housing) and tap it with a hammer (wrench, whatever), it will usually free the starter up to work again. I've seen this temporary fix last a few days up to a few months. You still need to change your starter but this knowledge is good to have in the event you're out somewhere and don't want to leave your car overnight. This works about 90% of the time.

claudermilk

Reaction score
Gonna pass some knowledge to you young bucks that may not know this. When these starters start going out, if you can get to the main body (armature housing) and tap it with a hammer (wrench, whatever), it will usually free the starter up to work again. I've seen this temporary fix last a few days up to a few months. You still need to change your starter but this knowledge is good to have in the event you're out somewhere and don't want to leave your car overnight. This works about 90% of the time.
LOL. I know that trick. I recall way back once my mom's 450SL decided to not start. Called a tow & the guy pulls out his "Mercedes tool" which was a 5lb sledge. He lays down & reaches under the car and bangs away for a minute. Then tells us to start it--which it does. Apparently he had seen a few of those with the same issue. I don't recall that it ever got stuck again before the car was sold off.

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
Just got the hook up from Darren, thanks homie!
went and got a new one from advanced auto, going to throw this bitch in later and hope for the best!

281dgxu.jpg

I will tap on it before I take it out just to see if it ends up working lol.

s8v4o

forum member
Reaction score
I will tap on it before I take it out just to see if it ends up working lol.

Well since the actual starter motor is spinning I doubt the hitting the starter will work as that "old trick" usually only works for electric motors. Not sure if it works with the solenoid or not, doubt it though.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
PFFT... the car is a manual... you don't need not stinking mechanical starter....

fred-flintstone.jpg

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
If we are going old school, shit just cross the starter solenoid terminals with a screwdriver. lol

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
Well its not the starter, fuck me.
Same free spinning sound as before.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back