Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter Review

2011GT1979

12.3@110
Reaction score
Got my shifter installed just now.

My impressions:

It wasnt that hard. Yea, you got to get underneath the car and loosen/take off that bushing. It wasnt bad.

As far as shifting, its far better than stock. Getting into reverse is tricky unlike the stock shifter. I don't think i got it installed wrong, but it seems as if you got to press a lot harder(which i know it is installed with a stiffer spring) and 90* angle put it into reverse. With the stocker you could kind of "cut corners" going into reverse. With this, you have to over exactly and up exactly.

As far as noise, its more than stock and a touch more than the MGW i had in my black car. No where near a steeda triax/Pro 5.0 in a sn95 or foxbody.

I agree after getting a few miles on my shifter it is a good bit louder than stock.

But I am still very happy with it. It is much more precise than stock.

Reaction score
I agree after getting a few miles on my shifter it is a good bit louder than stock.

But I am still very happy with it. It is much more precise than stock.

Yea, it is definitely precise. I am going to drive it around tonight and get some definite opinions on this thing. I only drove it up the road and back to just test it out and make sure nothing fubars. Hell, anything will be quieter than the pro50 ive had in my 5.0 OHV mustang. LOL.

ArizonaGT

Road Course Member
Reaction score
4.5/5 spark plugs, not bad!

How is the side-to-side effort? More spring than stock? Or does it just rely on the transmission's internal springs?

Reaction score
4.5/5 spark plugs, not bad!

How is the side-to-side effort? More spring than stock? Or does it just rely on the transmission's internal springs?

More stiff than stock. Does not feel to rely on the transmission at all.

S

Steedagus

Thanks for the great reviews guys. Throw is right at 20% shorter than stock. Someone had mentioned 15%

Also as far as noise goes, there should be almost zero increase in noise. Make sure you have the factory tunnel boot installed exactly like it came off. Noise reports we've had so far have been because of this boot not being re-installed properly.

I've attached a PDF file with instructions that you can look at to make sure your boot is on correctly.

We worked very hard to make sure we could get as close to factory NVH levels as possible. Noise should be minimal.

Here's also another link to a great review on the shifter. With comments reflecting the minimal noise levels.

http://forums.themustangsource.com/f800/steeda-tri-ax-review-488898/

Also, if the default reverse lockout spring is too stiff the shifter comes with a second spring option you can swap out. We put the stiffest one in there.

Attachments

• Doc1[1].pdf
    221.1 KB · Views: 41
Last edited by a moderator:

Reaction score
Thanks for the great reviews guys. Throw is right at 20% shorter than stock. Someone had mentioned 15%

Also as far as noise goes, there should be almost zero increase in noise. Make sure you have the factory tunnel boot installed exactly like it came off. Noise reports we've had so far have been because of this boot not being re-installed properly.

I've attached a PDF file with instructions that you can look at to make sure your boot is on correctly.

We worked very hard to make sure we could get as close to factory NVH levels as possible. Noise should be minimal.

Here's also another link to a great review on the shifter. With comments reflecting the minimal noise levels.

http://forums.themustangsource.com/f800/steeda-tri-ax-review-488898/

Also, if the default reverse lockout spring is too stiff the shifter comes with a second spring option you can swap out. We put the stiffest one in there.
well crap. thanks for the .pdf gus. I dont have that bottom portion wrapped around the bottom of the shifter. Granted i don't have much noise, but there is some noise present. I will redo the boot and see how that works.

S

Steedagus

well crap. thanks for the .pdf gus. I dont have that bottom portion wrapped around the bottom of the shifter. Granted i don't have much noise, but there is some noise present. I will redo the boot and see how that works.

No problem. We will be including that sheet on all future shifter production runs to help customers out and make the installation better.

2011GT1979

12.3@110
Reaction score
No problem. We will be including that sheet on all future shifter production runs to help customers out and make the installation better.

Mine is installed this exact way. I even pulled the counsel again to look at it. It is for sure louder than stock for me. Also I have noticed if i rest my hand on the shifter it gets a horrible grinding noise. But at the end of the day I really do not care because the shifter is pretty amazing.

RectalRampage

forum member
Reaction score
To be 100% honest after test driving the new 5.0 (I don't have mine yet), I didn't think a shift kit was going to improve things much over stock (other then getting rid of that stupid shift knob).

This thread has made me reconsider purchasing one.

D98GT

STREETCAR
Reaction score
Wish someone locally had one that I could try out to get my impression with it.

I'm not having a problem missing gears in this car (really good shifter from the factory imo) but would always like to improve ;)

GroverDill

forum member
Reaction score
Just installed my Steeda shifter.

Couple of tips that helped me along.
1. pry bar to access the bottom passenger side bolt
2. put shifter in 1st to not need about adjusting the shifter to ensure all gears work properly.

Shifts feel much firmer, solid and a nice bit shorter. I cant comment on increased NVH as I have not driven it any distance yet.

Radar Doc

Reaction score
Just thought I would mention that apparently not all 2011 Mustangs have a rubber shifter boot that looks like the one in the attachment. Mine does not have the lower portion that surrounds the shifter base. It simply has the upper/lower lip to attach to the tunnel. From the tunnel up, my boot is the same as shown. My base GT was built 4/2010.

I have no issues with my shifter/boot. Just thought I would mention it in case someone else runs into a similar boot.

Mike

2011GT1979

12.3@110
Reaction score
Just thought I would mention that apparently not all 2011 Mustangs have a rubber shifter boot that looks like the one in the attachment. Mine does not have the lower portion that surrounds the shifter base. It simply has the upper/lower lip to attach to the tunnel. From the tunnel up, my boot is the same as shown. My base GT was built 4/2010.

I have no issues with my shifter/boot. Just thought I would mention it in case someone else runs into a similar boot.

Mike

This is good info. It could be a changed sometime in may or early June. My build date was 6/10 and the boot was identical to what Steeda depicted in their instructions.

SlowA$$5.0

Banned
Reaction score
It seems the stock shifter is too short for drag racing duty, to me anyways. Why in the world would this one be shorter. Bet its hard to shift when using the cup holder!

hawkeye18

omgwtfbbq
Reaction score
Work out your arms, ya big weenie, and it won't be an issue.

"Takes too much effort to shift" = "I'm weak"

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back