Steering Creaking One Direction

Vandal

Reaction score
My car just started creaking when I turn the wheels to the left. Stopped or at slow speed it sounds like metal is creaking/binding. Any chance that a ball joint or tie rod end would make this noise? Steering has almost no noticable drift, and crossing paint lines does get some movement, but nothing alarming. Trying to sort out what could be causing it.

Racer47

Doesn't have much to say
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
most likely its the top strut mount bearing

Vandal

Reaction score
Those are on the list to replace. One thing at a time though. Probably do springs and struts and strut bearings.

Ended up having my wife turn the wheel while feeling/watching different steering parts. The tie rod ends look like the ball/socket is loose. Going to order a set of Moog outers and see what that does.

Should I order a set of inners as well? Boots on inners look fine, but I expect that they have about 106k miles on them.

Racer47

Doesn't have much to say
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Inners typically last longer. When the outers are off, push and pull on the tie rod and see how much play is in the inner.

Have your wife steer the car with you hand on the upper mount. You may be able to feel the roughness. Or take a long screwdriver, put the end on the mount by the shock and the handle to your ear. You may be able to hear it. Ball joints and tie rods get loose but usually don't make a grinding or creaking noise. They typically clunk from being loose.

Vandal

Reaction score
I’m planning to order new strut bearings. Are the GT500 ones worth the upgrade? Should I throw in lowering springs and new struts at the same time?

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back