Is this normal?

Max70

Reaction score
Hello out there,

I have a 2006 4.0 V6 which I purchased around 2½ yrs ago and been servicing it and checking all components bit by bit to see if the previous owners did regular maintenance or not on it. I would like to specify that this is not a daily use car, so I only drive it for around 3 - 4 hours a week, in weekends. In our country there is a scheme that when you register and imported car, you can pay only 40% of tax and duty and you get a special registration plate which entitles you to drive the car only in weekends and public holidays, So as you can see I do not put much mileage on it

So far I replaced front control arms, since they had ball joint that needed replacement so I got the entire control arms with ball joints to replace, the ones I took off I soda blasted them and painted them again and replaced the ball joints and left them as spares. I also replaced the tir rod ends which rubber was gone, doing regular servicing of oil and filter.

My concern is the following, I have always noticed this strange movement in the rear wheels, but never gave much attention. There is a slight slack when pulling and pushing any of the rear wheels, just a few millimetres, and also when you rotate any of the wheels clockwise or the other way, there is a slight slack till it sort of engages. Since in my country there are no mechanics that work on Mustangs, I have to rely on help given to me from mechanics or experts in this field in USA (where Mustangs are a common view) so I have to do most of teh work and repairs myself.

This week I spent it all (5 days) to replace all 4 rotors, pads, spark plugs (a pain to replace), and while doing this work cleaning and fixing all the neglected parts, this is why it took me some time. When I came to the rear wheels I saw that issue once again (that I just mentioned above) and I was just puzzled if such thing should be there or not.

I took a couple of short videos to show what the issues are, but it seems I cannot upload them here.

EDIT: I uploaded the VIDEOS on youtube, here are the links

Push and Pull slack (wheel is tight well with rotor and hub) -

Rotation slack

2021-08-20 13.16.04.jpg

2021-08-20 11.39.02.jpg

2021-08-20 11.05.45.jpg

2021-08-20 10.20.25.jpg

2021-08-20 10.06.02.jpg

2021-08-20 09.57.02.jpg

Last edited:

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
Both videos show normal play. The push pull one, that is the play of the C clips that hold the axles in.
The turning one, you are feeling the play between the spider gears.
Both are normal.

Max70

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply m8, I thought it was something like that, but since I'm not familiar with these cars I wanted an assurance from someone that has more experience in them.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back