Stock halogen to projector HIDs

Grabber5.sl0w

forum member
Reaction score
I've recently picked up a set of 2012 stock projector headlights without stock HIDs. I've searched everywhere but I just can't find a definitive answer. I've found that the '12 stock projectors take the D3S bulb but unknown as to what ballast it takes. It almost seems like it'd be less of a headache to just buy a D1S kit but I have no idea if they are cross compatible with each other.

Has anyone done this kind of conversion where they needed to purchase new bulbs and ballast for their stock projectors? I'm really drawing a blank here. Any input is appreciated!

Thanks guys!

Cal26Stang

forum member
Reaction score
They are different bulb sizes altogether. Unfortunately, if you don't have the factory ballasts and components, you won't be able to install the D3S bulb it uses.

You'll have to get the OEM components most likely, and it can get pricey if you pick it up from a dealership

Grabber5.sl0w

forum member
Reaction score
They are different bulb sizes altogether. Unfortunately, if you don't have the factory ballasts and components, you won't be able to install the D3S bulb it uses.

You'll have to get the OEM components most likely, and it can get pricey if you pick it up from a dealership

Damn.. That's really bad news if I'm left to buy OEM components.

Cal26Stang

forum member
Reaction score
Yeah I hate to be the bearer of bad news in these situations.

The OEM HID setup is really nice, but if you didn't get the OEM components, it can get really expensive to complete.

The factory ballasts are usually pretty expensive, but you might check Tousley Ford. They sell parts at a discounted rate.

If it were something simple I'd suggest going to Diode Dynamics, but most aftermarket lighting companies won't have OEM stuff.

The Retrofit Source sometimes has D3S components, but I'm not entirely sure what you'll need

Nick C.

Grabber5.sl0w

forum member
Reaction score
Lowest I've found for OEM Ballasts, Bulbs, and cables are on eBay for $210. So far looks like the Aftermarket D3S looks pretty much the same compared to the OEM D3S. Only part that I can't find aftermarket is the weird slim ballast that mounts on the side of the housing.

Maybe there's some light at the end of the tunnel. Looks like worst case is that I'll have to buy a used set of ballasts on eBay or something if I can't find an alternative.

stang8psi

forum member
Reaction score
here I found everything you need.. my car came equipped with oem hid and I sold the factory hid's for the 13.. everything between the 2 are the same. same d3s bulbs and same slim ballasts for the housings. all the fords hids in a projector housing use the same ballast and same bulbs and same ballast to bulb wire.. this will work..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/09-10-11-Fo...Parts_Accessories&hash=item565fe6f4da&vxp=mtr

this is the wiring kit needed to make a non hid car to oem hid kit
http://www.projectoretrofits.com/apps/webstore/products/show/3841314

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Slightly off-topic, but is it possible to purchase different color temperature D3S bulbs if you want the factory HIDs to have a slightly more blue color to them?

Scott_0

forum member
Reaction score
Slightly off-topic, but is it possible to purchase different color temperature D3S bulbs if you want the factory HIDs to have a slightly more blue color to them?

I've heard ddm bulbs are of rather good quality, fwiw I personally wouldn't go over 5k as you will lose usable light

Sent from my S4 using tapatalk

Grabber5.sl0w

forum member
Reaction score
here I found everything you need.. my car came equipped with oem hid and I sold the factory hid's for the 13.. everything between the 2 are the same. same d3s bulbs and same slim ballasts for the housings. all the fords hids in a projector housing use the same ballast and same bulbs and same ballast to bulb wire.. this will work..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/09-10-11-Fo...Parts_Accessories&hash=item565fe6f4da&vxp=mtr

this is the wiring kit needed to make a non hid car to oem hid kit
http://www.projectoretrofits.com/apps/webstore/products/show/3841314

Appreciate the input man! Fortunately I talked the guy into including the bulbs and ballasts from another set he had laying around. But I do need that non-hid to hid harness. $100 for a harness though? Isn't that a little much?

stang8psi

forum member
Reaction score
Appreciate the input man! Fortunately I talked the guy into including the bulbs and ballasts from another set he had laying around. But I do need that non-hid to hid harness. $100 for a harness though? Isn't that a little much?

no man.. only one on the market that is plug n play.. worth every dime

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I've heard ddm bulbs are of rather good quality, fwiw I personally wouldn't go over 5k as you will lose usable light

Sent from my S4 using tapatalk

DDM doesn't have D3S bulbs, and neither does The Retrofit Source. Any other places to look?

Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back