Street Tires for ~500hp?

HellsBells

620/677
Reaction score
Hey guys,

So I'm looking to get some new wheels and tires and want to take advantage of free mounting/balancing deals by buying them together. I will likely order through AM, so here's my first question:

Will the Sumitomo HTR Z III 275 width tires keep traction on the street at WOT?

My car is putting down about 480whp/450wtq and has 3.55 gears in a manual gear box. I'd like it to stick with WOT pulls in 1st gear if that's possible, if not, definitely don't want any spin in 2nd and beyond.

I currently have coilover suspension and plan on getting aftermarket LCA and LCA relocation brackets, but I don't want to add too much more after that.

Are the Nitto Invo's worth the extra cost otherwise? They would be in 285 on the rear.

Thanks!

HellsBells

620/677
Reaction score
I would go with a drag radial such as the NT05R or a MT ET Street at your power levels.

I was considering that but it's a daily driver that gets caught in rain fairly often. I really would like to stick to a street tire.

Do you think at 480whp, it's just not possible to get traction with street tires?

GrnBullitt08

Dale Jr
Reaction score
Yeah don't do that than... Those tires are awful in rain.

BFG KDWs would be a good option. We have a 99 FRC with a set on it making 410rwhp and it's grips really well. Not to mention its a little more rain friendly with longer tread life

I would recommend the Michilen PS2s... But I'm not sure how much you want to spend

HellsBells

620/677
Reaction score
Yeah don't do that than... Those tires are awful in rain.

BFG KDWs would be a good option. We have a 99 FRC with a set on it making 410rwhp and it's grips really well. Not to mention its a little more rain friendly with longer tread life

I would recommend the Michilen PS2s... But I'm not sure how much you want to spend

The PS2's are definitely out of my range. My initial choice was the KDWs as well, because I've had them before and those things grip great in dry and rain (albeit they are noisy as hell).

I was also looking at the NT05 (non R) version, which supposedly does okay in the rain. In your opinion, those Sumitomo's will never cut it?

Riptide

Will work for Mustang.
Reaction score
Do you think at 480whp, it's just not possible to get traction with street tires?
Not unless you like feathering the clutch or go pedal.. I make only 400 and 2nd has spin problems frequently. Summer tires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatwat

69Mach1-409

Reaction score
Just don't get GY F1 Supercar tires.. I have the full CHE suspension setup, among other chassis mods and I can spin at will in 2nd and sometimes 3rd.

I'm looking to upgrade my rears soon.. just not sure if it's going to be just a tire replacement, or wheel/tire package yet.

white_lightning

forum member
Reaction score
I have run

Sumitomo - HTRZ3's (275 - 19's)
Goodyear - Eagle F1's (285 - 19's)
Falken - 452's (275 - 20's)
Hankook - Ventus (275's or 285's on 19's can't remember.)

Now running 305 Nitto 555R's that have been great. I would say the Sumitomo's were the best of the 4 sets I ran before, but not going to hold all your HP. I have a Whipple with 8psi on my GT.

Last edited:

HellsBells

620/677
Reaction score
Not unless you like feathering the clutch or go pedal.. I make only 400 and 2nd has spin problems frequently. Summer tires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatwat

Well that's no fun! Thanks for the insight.

Just don't get GY F1 Supercar tires.. I have the full CHE suspension setup, among other chassis mods and I can spin at will in 2nd and sometimes 3rd.

I'm looking to upgrade my rears soon.. just not sure if it's going to be just a tire replacement, or wheel/tire package yet.

Those are supposed to be good too!

I have run

Sumitomo - HTRZ3's (275 - 19's)
Goodyear - Eagle F1's (285 - 19's)
Falken - 452's (275 - 20's)
Hankook - Ventus (275's or 285's on 19's can't remember.)

Now running 305 Nitto 555R's thats been great, but I would say the Sumitomo's were the best on the 4 sets I ran before.

I have a Whipple with 8psi on my GT.

How much wheel spin did you get on the sumitomos at WOT? I'm going to go with 19" rims as well. Did you consider the NT05 non-R? How are the 555R's in the rain?

69Mach1-409

Reaction score
Mine were NTO 285/40ZR18's from a 2008 GT500.. I've heard they changed the compound for the 19's on the newer GT500's, so it might be better.

Mike K

WANNA BE FAST
Reaction score
The 555r's are a decent tire for traction and life. I was dumping the clutch at 5500 on the track and about 4500 on the street. Granted I don't make the power you do but they did pretty damn good. I also got 10k+ miles out of them. I have a buddy with them on his car and he's putting over 700 to the tire and they hooked on the street but he has 15" wheels.

KillrStang

Texas Grown
Reaction score
Sumitomo HTR Z III 275 suck straight up, I was breaking traction when i was stock hp. and dont even think about taking a corner hard...

currently im on the michellin SS and they are a great overall tire but im probably going to the nto5s next

HellsBells

620/677
Reaction score
The 555r's are a decent tire for traction and life. I was dumping the clutch at 5500 on the track and about 4500 on the street. Granted I don't make the power you do but they did pretty damn good. I also got 10k+ miles out of them. I have a buddy with them on his car and he's putting over 700 to the tire and they hooked on the street but he has 15" wheels.

Thanks! Did you drive them in the rain at all? How did they do? Obviously I don't need to be setting 1/4 mile record in the rain but I'd like to get where I need to be without any hiccups.

Sumitomo HTR Z III 275 suck straight up, I was breaking traction when i was stock hp. and dont even think about taking a corner hard...

currently im on the michellin SS and they are a great overall tire but im probably going to the nto5s next

Good to know, I'll avoid them!

Mike K

WANNA BE FAST
Reaction score
They were fine in the rain. I got caught in a few good down poors and they did fine. I used them to DD.

HellsBells

620/677
Reaction score
They were fine in the rain. I got caught in a few good down poors and they did fine. I used them to DD.

Sweet. Looks like the 555r is out because they don't exist in 19". Damn it. :rant:

I'm limited to the NT05 for 19" tires. Thoughts?

HellsBells

620/677
Reaction score
The Michelins are just too expensive. I think I may need to consider an 18" wheel instead now.

S197gt07

forum member
Reaction score
I've found the answer. DOT approved, and I can't see any issues with wet traction
et_street_radial_pro.jpg

:roflmao:

In all seriousness, you'll have a much wider selection with 18's. Plus, the tread pattern on the KDW's is badass.

HellsBells

620/677
Reaction score
I've found the answer. DOT approved, and I can't see any issues with wet traction
et_street_radial_pro.jpg

:roflmao:

In all seriousness, you'll have a much wider selection with 18's. Plus, the tread pattern on the KDW's is badass.

LOL

I'll just buy slicks and make the DOT approved myself with a hammer and chisel!

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back