Strut mount? Balljoint? Controllarm Bushings?

deezdrama

forum member
Reaction score
Hey guys... Need your help, opinion, or suggestions....

My '10 gt has been developing a clunky/rattle strut or suspension sound.
Its not real loud but loud enough where its starting to drive me crazy and im about to put it in the garage for winter and need to address the issue. Im living off my single income at the moment and have mortgage,car payment, and all other bills so dont have alot of money to blindly throw at the car. Problem is I cant pinpoint what it is, with windows down to me it sounds like front pass side, but with a buddy in pass seat he says pass rear.
It sounds exactly like in this vid just not quite as loud or as frequent as the car in this vid.
The replies say strut mounts, balljoints, control arm bushings and the solution from the replies is all over the place.
Just wondered if you guys knew of a common issue and solution or could at least pinpoint it down for me.
Was going to install my headers and h pipe this winter but need to address this first.

Thanks guys!

deezdrama

forum member
Reaction score
i guess im just going to save some money and do all new coil overs and sway bar bushings.
On a budget but wanting 1"- 1.5" drop, a good ride/performance, are there any coilover or strut/coil suggestions?
And should I go with gt500 strut mounts?

Anything else I should replace while in the process? Im trying to get a part list, cost guesstimate

thanks!

bujeezus

forum member
Reaction score
I don't have an answer for the noise, but a good set of coil overs is not going to be cheap!

vxr500

forum member
Reaction score
I have a 10 also and was chasing the same noise. I replaced front sway bar links, put in new konis, gt500 strut mounts. Still there. Ended up being the front control arm bushings. According to ford, the bushings aren’t serviceable, so I got 2 new arms installed. Not cheap at 800 bucks. But hey, I have an all new front end!

deezdrama

forum member
Reaction score
Wow, $800.... Was that dealer price installed?
Anyone know if control arm bushings are replaceable or indeed unserviceable?
Thanks for chiming in!

Kinda sucks.... I should of went for a newer year now ill just make up the price difference replacing parts. Wanted to get my exhaust/headers installed and get 4.10 gears but seems like ill be throwing money at this suspension sound

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
The control arm bushings CAN be replaced with aftermarket performance ones. I put in the Prothane bushings. Definitely better feel over the stock hydro bushing, but after replacing the struts, springs, ball joints, and strut mounts at the same time, I do have a rattle in the FE over certain bumps. Cant find anything obviously loose. I will be replacing the ssway bar links as those are still factory originals. But I think my rattle will not be fixed with the stiffer suspension.

golkhl

forum member
Reaction score
If you have the tools, swapping out the control arms yourself will save you some $. I replaced the stock ones on my 08 Bullitt with the Ford Racing GT500 control arms.

My guess on the rattle you are hearing, blown strut or bad strut mount.

Budget friendly parts list: new oem control arms, quality set of lowering springs,new struts/shocks, new sway bar end links, new strut mounts, adjustable panhard bar to center the rear axle after the drop, and if your budget allows, upgrade the the rear lower control arms. With Black friday/cyber monday you should be able to find sales.

deezdrama

forum member
Reaction score
thanks guys. I plan to slowly revamp my suspension over the winter/spring. Ill probably do all of the above... going to need to research

SLIKSKILZ

Reaction score
I had an issue like this. Took a bit to find. It ended up being a sway bar link. It appeared to be in good shape until I was removing the nuts and one stud would just spin. The stud broke off the pivot point but stayed in place. It caused the rattling especially over bumps. Sway bar links are cheap! Jack the car up, remove wheel, try removing and inspecting the sway bar link on the side that's making noise. It's only 2 nuts. If you're really on a tight budget start there. Dont keep guessing without taking the time to get in there and inspect. That will blow any budget

SLIKSKILZ

Reaction score
Strut mounts would be my next guess. You can pull out the strut assembly and see if they are coming or have come apart. My driver side just fell apart and bearings went all over the garage floor. I replaced with the GT500 mounts as they are only about $100 for the pair.
Inspecting the sway bar links and strut mounts would be my first suggestions given my own personal experience with the issues

JJ427R

Reaction score
I had a front sway bar bushing go bad that made a similar noise, check that as well....

Derf08

Reaction score
I had a front sway bar bushing go bad that made a similar noise, check that as well....
This was the issue with my 08 a few years back. I had revamped the front suspension, all except the sway bar bushings....that was it. You can check those by raising the front end off the ground, grabbing the sway bar and shaking it back and forth and up and down. You will immediately hear that sound if the bushings are shot.

07MidnightGT/CS

Reaction score
My 07 was clunking when roads got a little rough. I replaced the struts, shocks and springs with Steeda superlites and Steeda shocks and H.D front shock mounts. While in there i went ahead and replaced front control arms with Ford Racing GT 500 units and inner and outer tie rods. Its quite and drives like a new one.

msvela448

forum member
Reaction score
Ford TSB 07-18-2 addresses a front end clunking noise for 2005 to 2007 models . Not sure if it would be at all related to the noise in the OP's 2010.

ab274524ac6971eab09b13e0e8b88d81.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back