Strut tower braces + blower with factory hood?

dascoyne

Enormous Member
Reaction score
New GT owner here.

I'm planning on getting a blower (twin screw or roots) later this year for my stock 2010 track pack GT but I don't want to have to lose my strut tower brace or replace the factory hood if I don't have to. (I like the factory look)

I was hoping to cram a Whipple HO under there and, maybe, change my factory brace to a Steeda strut tower brace but even Steeda doesn't seem to know if it'd fit under a 2010 factory hood. Does anyone have any knowledge about the clearance?

The Edelbrock seems to make a brace compatible with their e-Force s/c. Their website implies that it works with a factory hood but it doesn't say so explicitly. Does anyone know if that's the case? I do prefer the Whipple but I'd consider the Edelbrock if it's a neat install that allows for the brace.

Some folks tell me just to get the Whipple and ditch the brace, but I've also read that other folks notice the difference when they lose the brace and they regret losing it.

Is it even possible to add a blower with the braces under a factory hood?

Thanks.

Last edited:

Herknav

Devil's Advocate
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Sure, you can have a blower with a brace... but it has to be a Centri...

Herknav

Devil's Advocate
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I'm not interested in a centri. Just looking at twin screws and roots. Is it doable?

Not that I am aware of. There might be the odd person out there who managed to figure out a way, but all those blowers take what little space remains between the engine and the hood...

dascoyne

Enormous Member
Reaction score
I just called Edelbrock - they say their strut tower brace and eForce will fit under a factory hood. Sounds too good to be true.

Herknav

Devil's Advocate
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Well, get one of those then... I am not so sure about basing my choice of power adder on a strut tower brace... it's like deciding on car brand based on color...

dascoyne

Enormous Member
Reaction score
Well, get one of those then... I am not so sure about basing my choice of power adder on a strut tower brace... it's like deciding on car brand based on color...

Noted. Still looking for creative solutions for the Whipple without having to spend on a new hood... maybe I ought to just ditch the brace.

Herknav

Devil's Advocate
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
wait, you mean "use the search function"????

bullitt boy

Reaction score
Strut tower brace will indeed fit with an Edelbrock. I have seen a brace on a whippled car as well all you do is put a spacer under the end of the brace on either side and you will have the clearance.The hood should not be an issue.Check out the IMBOC site they have pictures of both of theses set ups.

Five Oh Brian

Mustang Guru
Reaction score
I've personally seen a 2008 Bullitt (#279) with an E-Force and the factory Bullitt STB and room to spare with no shimming required. However, the 2010 GT has a different hood and STB.

Also, I can appreciate a twin screw blower as much as the next guy, but centrifugals are quite potent, as well, and no problems with STB's (such as mine below)....

488108863803.jpg

bullitt boy

Reaction score
I've personally seen a 2008 Bullitt (#279) with an E-Force and the factory Bullitt STB and room to spare with no shimming required. However, the 2010 GT has a different hood and STB.

Also, I can appreciate a twin screw blower as much as the next guy, but centrifugals are quite potent, as well, and no problems with STB's (such as mine below)....

488108863803.jpg

That looks rather familiar.

dascoyne

Enormous Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

dascoyne

Enormous Member
Reaction score
Brian over at KB says their kit for the 2010 is still under development.

Goshdarn it.

AJ

US Muscle, AUS Hustle....
Reaction score
is there a reason you wan't to keep the stb?

dascoyne

Enormous Member
Reaction score
is there a reason you wan't to keep the stb?
I hear mixed information about the significance for the stb.
Some folks say that cornering is noticeably affected when they remove it ... other folks tell me the stb is just a cosmetic feature.

In the end it probably doesn't make a huge difference because the vast majority of drivable vehicles seem to do fine without them.
But since it came with my track package I feel more comfortable knowing it's still there doing whatever the hell it's supposed to be doing.

Are you of the opinion that I wouldn't notice a difference if I were to lose the stb?

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back