Subframe connectors?

Treecutter

Reaction score
I see that they are sold to fit the 05-09 cars but never see anyone recommend adding them. Are they needed or are they a thing of the past?

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
General consensus is not needed on this chassis

JC SSP

Reaction score
I have been putting on sub-frame connectors on all my Mustang's; Fox, SN95 and S197. Any car that is unibody benefits from having its chassis connected. I run my cars hard and most make decent power, so having the frame rails tie together (welded) is a big plus for me. They track straight, alignment is perfect and launch properly. Obviously, suspension has a lot to do with it too...

For a couple of hundred bucks, you get extra ridged (especially if you own a convertible) and less chance of distorting the frame, wrinkling the floor pan or pulling out a control arm from torque box. Also, might aid in a collision...

Either way, opinions are like... LOL

86GT351

forum member
Reaction score
I have been putting on sub-frame connectors on all my Mustang's; Fox, SN95 and S197. Any car that is unibody benefits from having its chassis connected. I run my cars hard and most make decent power, so having the frame rails tie together (welded) is a big plus for me. They track straight, alignment is perfect and launch properly. Obviously, suspension has a lot to do with it too...

For a couple of hundred bucks, you get extra ridged (especially if you own a convertible) and less chance of distorting the frame, wrinkling the floor pan or pulling out a control arm from torque box. Also, might aid in a collision...

Either way, opinions are like... LOL
The key is welding them in and welding them in properly.

JC SSP

Reaction score
AGREED

I have a chassis shop do all my welding. Prep, grounding and the actual process in welding sections and even around some sensitive areas are all very important.

Always been interested in welding, but not my specialty, so I farm it out to the experts.

86GT351

forum member
Reaction score
AGREED

I have a chassis shop do all my welding. Prep, grounding and the actual process in welding sections and even around some sensitive areas are all very important.

Always been interested in welding, but not my specialty, so I farm it out to the experts.
Why? Nothing wrong with this weld? LOL!

upload_2022-12-6_8-48-21.jpeg

JC SSP

Reaction score
Godzilla can weld better than that... LOL

Put some JB weld on there... Funny I have actually used that stuff with decent results, so let me not bad mouth it.

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
I used steeda chromolly steel subframe connectors, bolted and welded. That, plus a 1/4" thick BMR rear tunnel brace...+ safety loop. Then a steeda rear STB, in the trunk, welded into place. Back end of car is more..'solidified'. Then in went the eaton - detroit tru-trac LSD and also the whiteline watts link, and also the DSS-DS. Last item that went in was the steeda CM jacking rails down each side. Ok, now everything works the way I want it.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
If you look closely, the S197 has a rail going down the full length of the rocker. Its a pretty solid piece. Unlike prior year, pre 2004 mustangs. Its like Ford realized the weakness and redisigned the 05&up chassis.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back