terrible noises from new Hawk Blues

Travis R

forum member
Reaction score
I'm heading to a road course in a week, so I just installed a set of Hawk Blue 9012 over the weekend. Install went relatively well (had to rent a tool for the rear calipers). But once I started the bedding process there were some pretty terrible noises coming out of one of the wheels. It sounded like metal-on-metal grinding. The sort of noises I'm used to hearing if the pad has worn through to the backing plate.
I expected some squeaking, but not grinding. I actually took the caliper off again this morning just to make sure I hadn't screwed something up. Like maybe one of the little spring clips was in there wrong and rubbing against the rotor. But upon careful inspection everything seemed to be in it's place.
I guess I've never had pad with this high of a metallic content. Is this kind of noise to be expected? I'm also wondering if the noise will subside once they are fully bedded.
Thanks for any tips/reassurance you can give.

csamsh

forum member
Reaction score
not to ask stupid questions, but are the pads installed with the friction material facing the rotor? Somebody else on here did that not too long ago...

Be careful with the 9012's on a track! Watch that fade!

Travis R

forum member
Reaction score
HAHA! Wow, I guess you never know.
Tech support: Is your computer plugged in?...
Yes pads are installed with the scratchy bit against the rotor, and the pretty blue painted side against the caliper.
edit- I even have proof! :)

Last edited:

csamsh

forum member
Reaction score
Yup!!! The first three questions I ask my customers when they're having problems with their inductively coupled plasma spectrometers-

1. Is it on?
2. Is it plugged in?
3. Have you turned it off and turned it back on again?

Solves 80% of problems.

NDSP

forum member
Reaction score
Ok, not to be a smartass, but the pic proves the outside pad is in correctly, but what about the inside pad? LOL. Got to ask. Aside from that, check your isolators. The little metal shim things that go between your pad ends and the calipers. I've had that happen before.

Travis R

forum member
Reaction score
Yeah, those little shims were exactly what I inspected this morning. Everything is in place.
I guess I'll complete the bedding process and see if the noise decreases.
After a few medium speed stops the other night, the increased bite over the stock pads is very evident!

Shotokan1509

forum member
Reaction score
are the mounting bolts tight? I had to troubleshoot that for a friend once, seems he stopped in middle of job and when he came back next day he just bolted wheel up since it looked all together

Travis R

forum member
Reaction score
used a torque wrench on every bolt I touched.
75(r)-85(f) lb-ft for the caliper brackets
24(r)-25(f) lb-ft for the caliper to the guide pins
100 lb-ft for the lugnuts.

They've started squeaking more. The grinding is still there, possibly lessened...
I really haven't put that many miles on the pads. I have a fairly short commute. The drive to the track on Monday will be a couple hours though. So assuming I haven't screwed up the install, and Hawk didn't screw up the manufacturing, then everything should be gtg.... right?
Is it just assumed that track pads are going wreck a set of rotors?

Whiskey11

SCCA Autoscrosser #23 STU
Reaction score
used a torque wrench on every bolt I touched.
75(r)-85(f) lb-ft for the caliper brackets
24(r)-25(f) lb-ft for the caliper to the guide pins
100 lb-ft for the lugnuts.

They've started squeaking more. The grinding is still there, possibly lessened...
I really haven't put that many miles on the pads. I have a fairly short commute. The drive to the track on Monday will be a couple hours though. So assuming I haven't screwed up the install, and Hawk didn't screw up the manufacturing, then everything should be gtg.... right?
Is it just assumed that track pads are going wreck a set of rotors?

Hawk pads are notorious for destroying rotors when not up to temperature, so... yeah that is probably normal. There is a reason many of the more serious guys use Carbotech instead. Their XP12 and XP10 pads don't destroy rotors when driven to and from the track, even their harder compounds don't do it nearly as bad.

Travis R

forum member
Reaction score
OK, good to know. Thanks!
So you're saying if I want my rotors to live I have to drive harder on my way to work? DONE! ;)
Threshold braking during rush hour traffic? What could go wrong!?

claudermilk

Reaction score
Yup!!! The first three questions I ask my customers when they're having problems with their inductively coupled plasma spectrometers-

1. Is it on?
2. Is it plugged in?
3. Have you turned it off and turned it back on again?

Solves 80% of problems.
LOL, yep. Like I say a lot: "reboot fix ev'ryting!"

OK, good to know. Thanks!
So you're saying if I want my rotors to live I have to drive harder on my way to work? DONE! ;)
Threshold braking during rush hour traffic? What could go wrong!?
Sounds like a plan! :crazy:

Hawk's reputation for eating pads is part of why I went with Carbotech. I followed their bed-in recommendation for the Bobcat pads: 4-6 stops from 60 to 30. I managed to do it early on a weekend morning, so only loud exhaust to annoy nearby neighborhoods. :evillaugh: I got them to the point they stank & smoked. They have worked great since. IIRC, there was some grinding initially, but not after the bed in.

csamsh

forum member
Reaction score
The 9012 is, IIRC, more of an autocross compound anyway, so you should be fine on the street. IF I recall correctly. I may not and Google seems like a lot of work right now.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back