The 2012 Mustang GT Convertible

Ret

forum member
Reaction score
I love my 2008 Mustang Convertible GT/CS but have always been disappointed in the Deluxe interior. So, have found a 2012 GT 5.0 convertible that has a premium plus interior and thinking about it.

A few questions. is the 12 still a 5th Generation 197? category?
The add doesn't list it's HP or if it runs on regular or premium.

The negatives I think is the black exterior and not sure about the raised air scoop? on the hood. Seems it impedes your view.

Positives or negatives you've heard or know about on the 12.

charizardmatok

Reaction score
I love my 2008 Mustang Convertible GT/CS but have always been disappointed in the Deluxe interior. So, have found a 2012 GT 5.0 convertible that has a premium plus interior and thinking about it.

A few questions. is the 12 still a 5th Generation 197? category?
The add doesn't list it's HP or if it runs on regular or premium.

The negatives I think is the black exterior and not sure about the raised air scoop? on the hood. Seems it impedes your view.

Positives or negatives you've heard or know about on the 12.
2012 GT has a 1st Gen V8 Coyote engine giving about 420HP, it is a 5th gen S197 2, a facelift of the original S197.

Ret

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks for the information. The 420HP would have to run on premium?

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks for the information. The 420HP would have to run on premium?
No, in stock trim regular is fine.
Im actually running the SCT 93 octane 'patch' currently and still had 87 in the tank. PCM is adjusting, and even with the 93 tune, is still adding timing.

Ret

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks for the information, guys. I had myself talked out of it because it ran on premium. Now, I'm thinking about it again.

JimC

Reaction score
Thanks for the information, guys. I had myself talked out of it because it ran on premium. Now, I'm thinking about it again.
You only need premium to get the 420 HP on the stock tune. Otherwise you get something like 400 with regular. Not really enough to notice a difference. The computer uses knock sensors to make octane adjustments

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Ret

forum member
Reaction score
I see I put this in the wrong forum.

i've asked the car dealer if this car runs on regular. He said he would have to wait until Monday when they have a mechanic on duty in order to find out. I suggested he call the previous owner. Waiting for an answer.

I've done some research and from what I can see the 2011 and up comes with some kind of equipment on the car that will adjust for the lower octane; no special tune up needed.

JimC

Reaction score
The only reason that Mustang will require that you run 93 octane is if it has an aftermarket tune on it.

The stock tune runs on regular or premium and adjusts for the octane. An aftermarket tune won't adjust the same - it may adjust but the parameters starting out could mean that you will have a lot of knock if it is tuned for 93 and you run regular in it.

As I said just above your post, the difference between 93 and 87 on the stock tune is only about 20 hp. You get the full rated 420 hp only with 93 octane.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
Mine put 400 to the wheels on 87 and a tune. Been running 87 since I fired it up 6 years ago.

Ret

forum member
Reaction score
We went down to look/ drive the 2012 GT. I guess because I came from a big city it never occurred to me the Dealership wouldn't be open on Sunday. The car was so dirty you couldn't see into the interior (not their fault) on busy highway and passing cars/ trucks stirring up dirt. What did catch my eye was that car had slicks on it and are pretty worn down.

Doing some research found the car wasn't a trade in but they bought it from an auction. Thinking back about previous post on this site "Mustangs will last 200,000 to 250,000 depending on how they are driving. I'm thinking cars that make it to auction are because no one is buying it. Is my thinking correct?

Ret

forum member
Reaction score
Took it for a long drive today and happy with the performance. I now own a 2012 GT. The interior is what I was looking for as you can see in the photo's. They had put new Cooper tires on it since Sunday.

So new toy, reading the book on how to talk to the car.

Mustang 2012-c.jpg Mustang 2012 b.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Ret

forum member
Reaction score
A couple of things buying a car today. 1) neither the salesman nor the manager was nearly as knowledgeable about Mustangs as I was, thanks to all you guys. 2) Everything you read anymore is that used cars are more expensive and this one was $2,000 above Blue Book. But, had what I wanted and 62,000 miles, the original sticker. and the complete Maintenace history of the car and CarFax report came with the car.

3) they made an offer on my car as a trade in and I thank them for their time and prepared to leave. The manager had taken my car for a ride and commented it ran great. I showed them a copy of the recent 100,000 check up work done and my car had 75,000 miles on it. They counter offered paying me $1,000 less than what I had paid for it four years ago.

So, a fair trade in price, they had replaced the tires (slicks?). My car had 3/4's of tank of gas so I told them I wanted to be compensated so they filled the tank on the new car. In all I think I did pretty good dealing with a car dealership.

JC SSP

Reaction score
Just saw pics. They didn’t come through on the phone. Nice car!

Ret

forum member
Reaction score
So, they're both GT's but there is no comparison. the 12 is so much more comfortable than the 08. I know it's a premium, what I don't know is there such a thing as a premium plus. This car has a lot of nice features some I'll never use but a number of them I will, as soon as I get them all reprogrammed to me.
The one mystery is do I have the track setting, the book talks about it and I will never use it, but I want to be sure I'm not in that setting.
And, a nice feature my wife has already come around and likes the car as well.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
I think the book is referring to the track app. Yours probably does not have it. Some have retrofitted the track app instrument cluster and added the track app.

Back