The Extreme Weight reduction Idea thread (Comfort not included)

ArtQ

forum member
Reaction score
GLa045-1.jpg

Just cut the whole thing off and cap it

Hey Eric, I may be setting my car up for Factory Stock and was thinking of doing this but when I contacted NMRA tech, this is how they responded to my questions (there response is in red):

Stock unaltered frame- Can the front and/or rear crash bars be removed? Permanant portions of the frame cannot be modified or removed. Can the frame extensions forward of the radiator or passed the rear trunk line be trimmed off. Permanant portions of the frame cannot be modified or removed.

I'm not sure if that car is being built for a class, any thoughts on this?

Wicked97

forum member
Reaction score
Hey Eric, I may be setting my car up for Factory Stock and was thinking of doing this but when I contacted NMRA tech, this is how they responded to my questions (there response is in red):

Stock unaltered frame- Can the front and/or rear crash bars be removed? Permanant portions of the frame cannot be modified or removed. Can the frame extensions forward of the radiator or passed the rear trunk line be trimmed off. Permanant portions of the frame cannot be modified or removed.

I'm not sure if that car is being built for a class, any thoughts on this?

When i raced factory stock. I cut them off but never welded caps on like in the picture i posted. im not saying thats legal or illeagal. i also have a 97 cobra not a 05 body car. so mine is a bit diffrent.

I do know Thom can be a real stickler for certian rules. if i was you, i would leave them alone. just take the crash bar off and plate the crash bar bolts too.

SilentScope

Chemist by profession
Reaction score
for your speakers get an ihome and put it in the back seat.
Take them out for racing.

then, get p90x and drop like 15 pounds ahha

No, but i was going through that list of yours, its very concise and complete. Ive been trying to think of where to save weight, but you seem to have covered it all.

Wicked97

forum member
Reaction score
IMG_4318.jpg

IMG_4319.jpg

IMG_4321.jpg

IMG_4325.jpg

IMG_4326.jpg

IMG_4327.jpg

IMG_4336.jpg

IMG_4337.jpg

There we go. Bumper support version 1.1

you can see from the pictures, the we put an extra bend in the bar so it will follow the contor of the bumper. i also sloted the holes in the plate so you can adjust as needed. This way you could wrap some foam around it or something, and you could slide it down. I think its pretty bad ass.

Justin even wants to make one for his 2011 now!!!

its made from 1 inch tubbing, and weighs in at 2.8 lbs. its real sturdy you can pretty much do chin ups off it!!

We looked in to doing it out of aluminum, but i would be a little less then double the price and maybe save a pound. plus it wouldnt be as strong as this.

since we put a little extra effort in to it, its going to cost $150.

so what do you guys think. i have enough stuff here to make 6 or 7. If you want one ill need a deposit so i dont burn up all my supplies here for nothing.

Matt D

S197 Pilot
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Eric any plan for a rear one aswell? I would buy both at the same time to save on shipping lol

If you make the rear for the same price I will take both. I will call you tomorrow

Tre06GTP1SC

South Texas Death Ride
Reaction score
Eric I'll take one. Send me your paypal or a phone number (for a debit card) whichever you prefer. Sent you a PM.

908ssp

forum member
Reaction score
Very nice job and worlds easier to make than what I had planned no reason that wont do the job.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back