The "how much it weighs" thread

kona302

forum member
Reaction score
Right here...

http://store.jpcracing.com/DSS-11-1...with-CV-900HP-3-12-Aluminum-1350-_p_1883.html

JPC matched Lethal's price. $695 shipped to me.

Easy install...

utf-8BSU1BRzA2MjkuanBn.jpg

PS,
In that pic, the rear housing was dropped down as far as it would go, I was installing my QA1s. The drive-shaft is not really that close to the exhaust pipes.

What is the weight savings?

kona302

forum member
Reaction score
Stock hood weight?

Ive been searching for some fiberglass OEM spec replacements, has anyone found them?

RI_2011_GT

forum member
Reaction score
The new Tiger Racing Super Louvered Hoods are ready to ship. The carbon version will be sold in a grey primer; it is not a cosmetic fake carbon hood, but a real carbon part for weight reduction. The average weight of the carbon hood 15-16 lbs and fiberglass is 26-27 lbs.

The carbon hood is available at an introductory price of $1295, fiberglass $749, plus a small box fee and truck freight. We will start shipping back orders next week and are now accepting new orders.

Due to the nature of the carbon fiber, it does sometimes show a slight imprint of the carbon weave in the hood finish, very minor, but I need to make people aware. We could change the lamination process, add more material, time, weight and cost, but I don't think it's worth it.

The louvers will also come rough trimmed. This is done by hand and we try to get it 90-95% complete and may require slight finish work. Maybe just edge with a sanding block or file, again minor touch ups.

Feel free to contact me to place an order or ask any questions. Below are pictures of 2 production carbon hoods completed before shipping.

Thanks
Paul Brown
Tiger Racing
[email protected] Attached Thumbnails

kona302

forum member
Reaction score
difference in hood weight

The new Tiger Racing Super Louvered Hoods are ready to ship. The carbon version will be sold in a grey primer; it is not a cosmetic fake carbon hood, but a real carbon part for weight reduction. The average weight of the carbon hood 15-16 lbs and fiberglass is 26-27 lbs.

The carbon hood is available at an introductory price of $1295, fiberglass $749, plus a small box fee and truck freight. We will start shipping back orders next week and are now accepting new orders.

Due to the nature of the carbon fiber, it does sometimes show a slight imprint of the carbon weave in the hood finish, very minor, but I need to make people aware. We could change the lamination process, add more material, time, weight and cost, but I don't think it's worth it.

The louvers will also come rough trimmed. This is done by hand and we try to get it 90-95% complete and may require slight finish work. Maybe just edge with a sanding block or file, again minor touch ups.

Feel free to contact me to place an order or ask any questions. Below are pictures of 2 production carbon hoods completed before shipping.

Thanks
Paul Brown
Tiger Racing
[email protected] Attached Thumbnails

how much would you say is the difference between the stock hood and the carbon fiber one.

Last edited:

RI_2011_GT

forum member
Reaction score
the stock hood is 30+ lbs, but you also get the added bonus of the car being planted on the front at high speeds with the vents.

Overtorqued

Reaction score
Just weighed some wheels and tires:

Stock 2012 GT 18x8 with P-Zero Nero tire - 55 lbs.
AMR 19x9.5 with Sumitomo HTRZ-III 275/40-19 - 58 lbs.

This is on one pad of my corner weight scales, and only reads to whole pounds.

Accel Junky

Reaction score
Does anyone know which aftermarket lowering springs are the lightest? I try to reduce weight whenever I replace something but spring weights are usually not published. The pictures of the Eibachs look to have less coils than H&R and some of the others. I know Steeda has ultralites but I swear I heard someone say that they were actually no lighter than stock. Thanks! I have some weights to share soon as well...been keeping a spreadsheet.

I've heard Vogtland and Swift have the lightest springs but I don't think they make anything for the 2011+ cars.

Retro5.0

forum member
Reaction score
Anyone know the weight of the 19" GT premium wheels and tires?

Accel Junky

Reaction score
2012 GT Brembo Stock Springs: 6.72lbs front each and 5.5lbs rear each
H&R Super Sports are: 6.88 front each and 6.68 rear each.

So fronts were super close but rears added over a 1lb per side which was a little shocking. Fortunately I went from stock 31lb Brembo wheels to 23.1 lb aftermarket wheels so I feel OK about that.

Last edited:

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
2012 GT Brembo Stock Springs: 6.72lbs front each and 5.5lbs rear each
H&R Super Sports are: 6.88 front each and 6.68 rear each.

So fronts were super close but rears added over a 1lb in unsprung weight per side which was a little shocking. Fortunately I went from stock 31lb Brembo wheels to 23.1 lb aftermarket wheels so I feel OK about that.

Springs are not unsprung weight. :trout:

Wickedosity

Reaction score
Just a quick trick, if you want to accurately weigh lighter items on a home scale you can do so fairly accurately. Just hop on the scale without the item, record the weight. Next get back on the scale holding the item you're weighing. Subtract the previous weight.

jsnyng

Reaction score
Just a quick trick, if you want to accurately weigh lighter items on a home scale you can do so fairly accurately. Just hop on the scale without the item, record the weight. Next get back on the scale holding the item you're weighing. Subtract the previous weight.

TTOD?

gizmo5

Italian between my legs
Reaction score
After seeing the weights of all the wheel options, even aftermarket, I cant see leaving my Brembo rims behind. Plus I think they're sexy.

Terminator2

Reaction score
After seeing the weights of all the wheel options, even aftermarket, I cant see leaving my Brembo rims behind. Plus I think they're sexy.

There are some very light options out there that are not super expensive. Example 18x9.5 Enkei RPF1s are right at 17 lbs each so ~13 lbs a piece lighter than the stock 19s. Not sure if the RPF1s clear the Brembos though as I have standard brakes on mine. I know the PF1s do clear and they weigh about 19 lbs each in a 18x9.5. I am going to ditch my stock wheels and tires for 18x9.5 RPF1s and lighter tires and save myself nearly 18 lbs per corner or 72 lbs of unsprung weight overall.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back