The Killer's return to the track...

ChevyKiller

Preferred Internet Drink
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Not if you want to go the quickest et. Your still moving a tank. The 3.73's in the silver car we did are perfect. You just need to get use to the car moving out that fast. Think about it, you have basically the exact same set up as that car and JB had no issues at all. 1.30 60ft's leaving light w/ 5psi and had no issues with the rev limiter. I would look into the trans.

You can't say I have the exact same set-up cause you don't know what the first gear ratio is in my trans compared to yours. There is not one 'end all' best gear for every TH400 under the sun.

The 3.73's are way too much for the ratio I have and rather than change the trans, it's simply a matter of changing the gears. My car with 3.73's goes from 5000 to 9000 rpm in less than 1 second. No bs - no human could shift it fast enough before hitting the limiter - it's impossible. I was told even an air shifter probably couldn't make the shift in time the way it's set-up. It is 100% attributed to the gears. By switching to 3.31's, I will not only have more time in the 1-2 rpm band, but I will slow up the converter flash as well.

If the car runs much slower, than i can always put the gears back in there and look at some trans options but I think the car is going to run quicker (both 1/8 and 1/4) with the 3.31's. Perhaps my 60' may go down some but that's not going to cost me anywhere near the ET that I'm losing now from hitting the rev limter every time on the 1-2.

Everyone who watched my car will tell you that it leaves hard, nose dives and than takes off again and it's 100% due to the rev limiter. Even if my 60' gained .05 - by not hitting the limiter, my ET is going to be substantially lower than it is now regardless cause I'm seeing more et loss from the limiter than I am for a hundreth or 2 on the 60'.

All my time slips show I don't get fast until AFTER the 330'. Can't see how changing to 3.31's is going to make me 'slower'.

Last edited:

tommygodfrey

JPC Sales & Tech
Reaction score
You can't say I have the exact same set-up cause you don't know what the first gear ratio is in my trans compared to yours. There is not one 'end all' best gear for every TH400 under the sun.

The 3.73's are way too much for the ratio I have and rather than change the trans, it's simply a matter of changing the gears. My car with 3.73's goes from 5000 to 9000 rpm in less than 1 second. No bs - no human could shift it fast enough before hitting the limiter - it's impossible. I was told even an air shifter probably couldn't make the shift in time the way it's set-up. It is 100% attributed to the gears. By switching to 3.31's, I will not only have more time in the 1-2 rpm band, but I will slow up the converter flash as well.

If the car runs much slower, than i can always put the gears back in there and look at some trans options but I think the car is going to run quicker (both 1/8 and 1/4) with the 3.31's. Perhaps my 60' may go down some but that's not going to cost me anywhere near the ET that I'm losing now from hitting the rev limter every time on the 1-2.

Everyone who watched my car will tell you that it leaves hard, nose dives and than takes off again and it's 100% due to the rev limiter. Even if my 60' gained .05 - by not hitting the limiter, my ET is going to be substantially lower than it is now regardless cause I'm seeing more et loss from the limiter than I am for a hundreth or 2 on the 60'.

All my time slips show I don't get fast until AFTER the 330'. Can't see how changing to 3.31's is going to make me 'slower'.

Which 1st gear ratio do you have? If you got stuck with a custom 2.75 1st gear then I could see this being an issue. But if you have the standard 2.48 1st gear I would want to check the trans to be on the safe side thats all, not trying to argue with ya :). Just trying to look at all the possiblities. Your car is pretty much identical to the silver car that went a to b with no problems except ( the 3 Transmissions that had to go in it before it made it out past the lift ) for no reason. And it launched fine but had issues after that and drove normal. That's all. 3.31's are a real soft gear for the tank of a car we're racing.

Good luck and keep us posted.

ChevyKiller

Preferred Internet Drink
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Which 1st gear ratio do you have? If you got stuck with a custom 2.75 1st gear then I could see this being an issue. But if you have the standard 2.48 1st gear I would want to check the trans to be on the safe side thats all, not trying to argue with ya :). Just trying to look at all the possiblities. Your car is pretty much identical to the silver car that went a to b with no problems except ( the 3 Transmissions that had to go in it before it made it out past the lift ) for no reason. And it launched fine but had issues after that and drove normal. That's all. 3.31's are a real soft gear for the tank of a car we're racing.

Good luck and keep us posted.

You should have got your TH400 from Mike's transmissions - lol His shit is good.:naughty1:

I'm happy with my gear choice for now and will be testing tonight. If it turns out it has been driving through the converter on launch, then I'll look into tightening up the converter but tonight should tell me exactly where we are and where we need to go. This is what TNT is all about. The car is making strides each week and next weekend - it will finally be on the 1/4 and dialed in so I'm excited to see what she's gonna do.

Last edited:

tommygodfrey

JPC Sales & Tech
Reaction score
You should have got your TH400 from Mike's transmissions - lol His shit is good.:naughty1:

I'm happy with my gear choice for now and will be testing tonight. If it turns out it has been driving through the converter on launch, then I'll look into tightening up the converter but tonight should tell me exactly where we are and where we need to go. This is what TNT is all about. The car is making strides each week and next weekend - it will finally be on the 1/4 and dialed in so I'm excited to see what she's gonna do.

It would make sense if it was blowing thru the converter. Let us know what happens.

ChevyKiller

Preferred Internet Drink
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
It would make sense if it was blowing thru the converter. Let us know what happens.

I'm pretty sure that's what it was doing but the 'cheap' fix first is the lower gears and that may effect the converter the way I need. If tonight proves otherwise, then it's time to pull the converter and get it tightend up.

ChevyKiller

Preferred Internet Drink
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Well Tommy, you may want to try 3.31 gears in the car...lol

You guys 60' a 1.30?

I 60' a 1.21 and picked up 5 mph with the 3.31's over the 3.73's on my TH400 and it solved all my fast rev issues off the line...:thumb:

My second pass - even after 2 oil downs and the track going to shit - I launched almost into the other lane and still turned a 1.31 60'

Dex

I'm Dexolishous
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I bet that 1.21 snapped your neck. Daayyyum

ChevyKiller

Preferred Internet Drink
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I bet that 1.21 snapped your neck. Daayyyum

I'm not going to lie...

it felt AWESOME!!!!!!!!!:evillaugh:

The funny part is it's still conservative as I left at 12 lbs at 12º of timing - it's got a lot more.

Chris06GT

Dragging LS Ass..
Reaction score
I'm not going to lie...

it felt AWESOME!!!!!!!!!:evillaugh:

The funny part is it's still conservative as I left at 12 lbs at 12º of timing - it's got a lot more.

What the hell you waiting on???????.....Turn that whore up!!!!!! :highfive:

On a serious note, that is awesome Mark!! Congrats man!!

silverpoison

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
He has his time slip posted in another thread. I think it was 5.82 or something equally stupid fast.

the car MPH was 124 and 127 on the second pass, The MPH should be good gor a better ET, a little of the problem is get the car to hook after lifting and getting back on it, those twin 67's are no joke when the are unfer full boost.
The good thing is that his ET's are getting better and better every time the car goes out, we are exited about the comming 1/4 trip...

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back