thermostat temperature?

Bustang523

Reaction score
I'm sure I'll get crap for asking this but does anyone know what the OEM thermostat temperature is? I tried looking it up but got several different results. My engine just blew it's second thermostat housing. I ordered a metal housing but I also want to drop the engine's temperature. I'm down south where it's usually hot and my engine bay gets excessively hot and I'd like to lower the temperature just to be safe. has anyone ran a lower temp thermostat on these engines? Is there anything I need to know? On my Chevy S10 I run a thermostat that is 10 degrees lower than oem and that's fine for me.

On a separate note who's hair brain idea was it to put a plastic housing unit where the heat of the engine passes through.

RED09GT

Equal Opportunity Offender
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
05-06 run a 180° and the 07-10's run a 195 degree. The location of the 05-06 thermostat is in the lower rad hose, the 07-10 is in the upper. That is why they have different temperatures.

A 180° would be a good fit for the 07-10 and a 170 would be good for a 2005-2006.

I run the stock one and 80-20 water to coolant with a bottle of water wetter and I have yet to see it get to 200° on a data log.

The fan settings in your tune make a big difference in this as well. If you have a tuner, that is.

roddy

Reaction score
I believe the OEM temp is 190. Stant lists a few at 190 or 198 degrees. The one stant lists as OEM temp (190) is part # 13649. They do not list a cooler option. However, cross-referencing that number shows that Audi uses the same thermostat in the 2001 2.8 A4, and there is a lower temp option there (174 degrees). I have been using that thermostat in my '07 since I installed the X-Charger a few years back. The Stant part number is 13648. Hope that helps.

banzai_bullitt

Reaction score
If I still had the '05 V6, I would have changed to the metal housing as well. I didn't know they existed until mine melted and blew last year with only 55K miles on the clock.

RED09GT

Equal Opportunity Offender
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Jeez, I didn't even realize this is the V6 section, disregard my previous post

Dumpy

Reaction score
That's a good question, i have a 06 convertible & think its runs too hot for a summer drive. I'm planning to swap out the thermostat to a 180* at least.

qwk08snk

Reaction score
I have a 2008 gt500 with lots of power, the trick in these supercharged cars is to run them as cool as possible. There is a 170 degree thermostats available. Performance products has them..
Good luck

Bustang523

Reaction score
For anyone that is curious I had put the 180 degree thermostat in the car and I still had the fans coming on way too often. Partly because I LOVE having AC and almost always have it on. I swapped it to the 170 degree and it is working great for now but when I go back to Chicago for school in the winter I'll either go back to the 180 or 190 degree thermostat to compensate for the much colder air. Also for anyone with the 4.0 V6 I HIGHLY recommend paying for the metal thermostat housing I bought mine off amazon for $135 and I still think it was worth every penny. I replaced my thermostat housing 4 months ago when I bought the car and the new plastic one I had installed still started leaking after a few months. the plastic ones are a 3 piece design where as the metal one is 2 pieces and you can RTV gasket the hell out of it.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back