Think the K springs will work?

MrBottleneck

forum member
Reaction score
Car is bone stock GT with 18,000 miles. Finally got my wheels and tire setup F 19x10 285/35/19 R 19x11 305/35/19 on now trying to decide on springs or struts or coilovers.
Factory struts and shocks are fine so, I am thinking just doing springs. I dont plan on tracking it just going to cruise in and shows.
Not sure if 1.5" drop will work with front. LMR says it will and wont rub but, what do you all think.
I set a ruler flat on top of tires to get height and taped a piece of cardboard measuring/representing 1.5" drop on fenders.
Heres the Rear at two angles
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Below is Front at two angles
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Last edited:

SLIKSKILZ

Reaction score
I installed a set of BMR springs that were supposed to be 1.5" drop on a buddy's car that had 20s. Tires rubbed on fender on bumps and hard acceleration. View the pic. It may be a close fit for you but I think its doable.
Also...you will HAVE to get at least an adjustable panhard bar to center the rear end after lowering the car.

20180217_194957.jpg

MrBottleneck

forum member
Reaction score
I suggest using a tool like https://tiresize.com/wheel-offset-calculator/ to compare the dimensions between stock and the wheels/tires you're looking at. You can then gauge if you'll have fender clearance issues using your ruler setup you have there.
Already did all that prior to purchase of rims and tires. The rears measure just a touch over factory and front a smidge under in height.
Those are only estimation anyhow as all tires vary by manufacturer.
Appreciate the input though.
I will try the Ford K if thats pushing it I will go Ford P or something less then Ks.
Dont plan on running hard or cornering to hard anyhow. Im an older fart. LOL

oldVOR

forum member
Reaction score
Whether or not anything rubs depends on the offset of the wheels you're using.
Plenty of folks running those and or larger wheel/tire combinations without any issues but their wheel offset is spot on.
What is the offset of your wheels?

Champale

forum member
Reaction score
MrBottleneck - let us know the exact wheel sizes/offsets and also what exact tire size and make/model they are. And maybe some pictures showing down the fender, not facing the fender. A lot of guys on this forum have a ton of experience with springs, lowering, offsets, tire sizes, etc. We just need more info to help.

MrBottleneck

forum member
Reaction score
Here you go.

Tires are Nitto NT555 G2

Front:
Size: 19x10 with 285/35/19
Backspace: 6.88"
Offset: +35mm

Rear:
Size: 19x11 with 305/35/19
Backspace: 7.97"
Offset: +50mm

Dont have any pics handy to post other then ones first posted and the one below I got off net.
They dont stick out past fenders but, are about even with them. I love the trackish look of them.

Found this on the net. Same wheels n tires just not my color car. This pic is kinda what swayed me to buy them.
image.jpeg

Champale

forum member
Reaction score
The 555 G2s run a little narrower than some other brands but those wheels do sit out a little more than most typical S197 wheels. I think you'll need to dial in some camber up front and the rears will be REALLY CLOSE. So that you can get a better idea of how much room you have, try taking a piece of string and taping a coin to one end and then taping the other end a few inches above the fender lip, letting the coin end dangle down past the sidewall and edge of rim.

Good luck!

MrBottleneck

forum member
Reaction score
The 555 G2s run a little narrower than some other brands but those wheels do sit out a little more than most typical S197 wheels. I think you'll need to dial in some camber up front and the rears will be REALLY CLOSE. So that you can get a better idea of how much room you have, try taking a piece of string and taping a coin to one end and then taping the other end a few inches above the fender lip, letting the coin end dangle down past the sidewall and edge of rim.

Good luck!
Thanks, Yeah LMR said these wheels where made specifically for the S197 with the offset designed for that car.
So, I think I will give the string thingy a look.
Then if all looks well go with the Ford K springs.

Thanks for everyone weighing in. :)

Grabber Blue 5.0

forum member
Reaction score
The Ford Racing K springs have horrible ride qualities. You would be better off with a spring from BMR.

MrBottleneck

forum member
Reaction score
I already ordered a set of the Eibach Pro Street S coilovers, MM CC Plates and a BMR Adj. Panhard.
Just waiting for it to all come in.

I guess it just came down to wanting exacting adjustability on height.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back