this could have turned out very badly

psycho bob

FISTER
Reaction score
so driving back from denver just now my car started jerking side to side whenever i would either let off the gas or push it while coasting. luckily i made it back home safely and found this.....

DSCN0238-2.jpg

the last time they were off was 3 1/2 years ago when i added the relocation brackets. how the hell does that happen. and yes there was locktite on it.

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
That's a factory bolt that's in there which is a one time use only. Looks like you re-used it.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
WOW! That could have been ugly.
aaf_shock.gif

And I reused my factory bolts also. I can't imagine anyone throwing those bolts away and buying new ones unless they were mangled or stripped.

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
It pays to look under the car once in a while. Glad it wasn't worse!

psycho bob

FISTER
Reaction score
That's a factory bolt that's in there which is a one time use only. Looks like you re-used it.

yes as do many other people. what gets me is why after over 3 years would it back off.

It pays to look under the car once in a while. Glad it wasn't worse!

i just had the car in the air doing headers. last week i had it all in the air to do the rear swaybar relocation brackets. i would have noticed if it were loose.

retfr8flyr

The Old One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
WOW! That could have been ugly.
aaf_shock.gif

And I reused my factory bolts also. I can't imagine anyone throwing those bolts away and buying new ones unless they were mangled or stripped.
^^I did. These are critical bolts and they are the one time use torque to yield type. If you reuse them it's like playing Russian Roulette. You may never have a problem or they could let you down just when you least want it to happen. The bolts aren't that expensive so either replace them with grade 8 or higher, or buy new Ford bolts.

Earl

Jeffk

forum member
Reaction score
hmm... the BMR's I just installed on a friends car had new bolts and nuts with them. Maybe they started doing that since you bought yours?

20120925_204412.jpg

Yeah, that could have been WAY worse. Glad it wasn't

DRock

Reaction score
That is odd as hell.......My BMRs came with all new bolts too

toorbeenee

turbine lunatic
Reaction score
Welcome back home Bob,

Glad you found the problem, enjoy the drive before the snow!!!

Ryan331

forum member
Reaction score
Whats different about torque to yield bolt than regular grade 8 bolts? The aging process??

They're designed to stretch when torqued the first time to increase clamping force (better seat/fit against all threads) but they don't unstretch when you remove them, which is why you replace them..

My relocation brackets came with bolts, too..

TGR96

el blanco nino
Reaction score
Wow, glad you made out ok on this one. That's scary!

I recently put on some new LCAs and I reused the stock bolts as well. Now this has got me thinking a trip to Fastenal is in my near future!

psycho bob

FISTER
Reaction score
Welcome back home Bob,

Glad you found the problem, enjoy the drive before the snow!!!

thanks suhail,

i just picked up a nicely modified jeep cherokee to keep the mustang out of the weather. i'm already thinking about going back over there though. so maybe we'll see eachother again next year sometime.

95five-0

forum member
Reaction score
You were lucky for sure. I am going to install mine tomorrow any idea on the bolt size that comes with the new lowers mine are used.

Riptide

Will work for Mustang.
Reaction score
Looks like UMI's design won't ever have that type of problem since you retain the factory flag nut. The bolt it comes with for securing the rear of the arm is AFAIK not TTY.

idPdF.jpg

OP glad to hear there was no accident or any real damage come of this.

toorbeenee

turbine lunatic
Reaction score
thanks suhail,

i just picked up a nicely modified jeep cherokee to keep the mustang out of the weather. i'm already thinking about going back over there though. so maybe we'll see eachother again next year sometime.

my son is sending his regards my friend,,,,

for the guys this is a picture of Bob in his last visit down here with my new born

IMG-20120725-00047.jpg

EGNARO

Orange Backwards
Reaction score
i wish ford made it easier to pick up new bolts

its always a process having to order them and find out what exact sizes you need. and the dealers never give a shit.

gil_t2

Love Nitro in the Morning
Reaction score
i wish ford made it easier to pick up new bolts

its always a process having to order them and find out what exact sizes you need. and the dealers never give a shit.

Buy yourself a service manual and you will have the part numbers. I never have a problem getting there bolts and fasteners.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back