Tick noise.

P-51 Performance

forum member
Reaction score
Heres some background to engine. So my engine was consuming oil, i had to take it all apart had a feeling it was the ss oil rings or the valve guilds. So i had them both changed out. Got the long block assembled and in the car. I turn it on and i hear a tick that comes and goes? I did reuse my chains tensioners/chains/guides. But those only have less than 3k miles.I did reuse my rocker arms and lash adjusters but i didnt have the noise before and all they did was sit in a box while the heads and short block got worked on. Also the car seems to have a little miss fire and is running a bit lean. Not sure if those are tied together. The noise seemed to go away when it warmed up then i let it sit for 5-10min stared it up and the noise was back. i also checked the spark plugs and exhuast manifolds. https://youtu.be/UpalBG13_Y8

P-51 Performance

forum member
Reaction score
Towards the back of the engine on the passanger side. The miss fire and lean went away when i changed all the plugs on the passanger side. The tick is still there but not as loud and constant. I removed both cam cover and check for play in the rocker arms and there was no play once the cam lobe was on them. Also i stuck a piece of hose in oil fill tube and youd think the noise would be louder in there but i didnt hear it when it would tick. Starting to think it maybe something under the car that thats loose?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back