Timing advance

Max70

Reaction score
Hello out there, I have lately been monitoring the OBD II from the app TORQUE on my 2006 V6 Stang, this is because of the CAI temperature and flow, infact I had to replace my filter because air temperature was a bit high 70C (when ambient temperature was around 30C). Once I replaced it with a new and better filter the intake temp went down to 60C in same ambient conditions.

Well the point of this post is not actually regarding the CAI but because of a display I noticed which is the Timing Advance. I do not know what the reading should be on this engine and also if this can be set from somewhere or something that only a shop can do. The Timing reading was around 18.5 if not mistaken at idle. Is this good ?

I would appreciate a technical reply not a guess please.

Thanks

RED09GT

Equal Opportunity Offender
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
You would need a flash tuner to adjust the timing advance at idle and access to one of the tuning software packages to have any real control over it.
18.5 degrees of advance at idle will keep the emmissions clean. Unless you have a rough idle, I don't see any reason to change it.

Max70

Reaction score
You would need a flash tuner to adjust the timing advance at idle and access to one of the tuning software packages to have any real control over it.
18.5 degrees of advance at idle will keep the emmissions clean. Unless you have a rough idle, I don't see any reason to change it.

Thank you for the reply, you answered my question as I only needed to know if 18.5 at idle was good timing.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back