Timing Chain

07silvergt

Reaction score
Hey my car 2007 GT has just rolled over 200,000 miles (325000 km) and is running awesome. 4.6 is a solid motor! I've looked online to see how long timing chains last and all I see is "life of the motor".
I get that they're probably not going to break and the timing will be close to right but really I don't believe a metal chain will not wear even a tiny bit. I've heard they do start to stretch over time and if the links start to wear a bit and you get a bit of slop, who's to say the timing is always dead on? Should I leave the chain there for another 200,000 miles?
I also know the plastic guides and tensioners wear.
So the question is, should I replace that setup or just let it be?

Dubstep Shep

WUB WUB VROOM VROOM
Reaction score
I would say 200k is a good point to look at a motor rebuild in any case. If you're tearing it apart, a timing kit would be a good investment in my book.

07silvergt

Reaction score
I really don't think it needs a rebuild. Power is there, motor is smooth, doesn't use any oil. Oil doesn't get really black. In fact in runs pretty much the same as when it was new.
When would I hear chain slap? As far as I can see the motor makes no noises that are different from when it was new except for a slight rattle for a second on startup (sometimes) until oil pressure builds. I've heard that can be lack of oil pressure in the tensioners for the timing chain can be the cause.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
The 5.4 truck motors are infamous for the phasers going out. In fact many die hard Ford fans won't own another Ford 3v due to the issues. Our Mustangs use the exact same phasers but for some reason the issue isn't as prevalent in the 4.6. If it ever starts making strange noises from the timing chain/valve cover area, I would immediately begin planning to replace all the timing components. As long as it's not making unusual noises you're probably good.

07silvergt

Reaction score
Phasers is another thing I was wondering about. What is it exactly that causes them to go wrong? They seem like a pretty simple piece.

Also, what happens if the phaser on one bank goes, but not the other? You'd have a really uneven running engine wouldn't you?

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
They redesigned the phasers after 06 I believe.
Haven't heard of many failures after that.

07silvergt

Reaction score
I guess no one really runs these cars to such high mileage so fast. Maybe I should ask this on an f150 forum

5.ohmygod

Reaction score
If it means anything, I have a coyote with 185,000 miles on it that doesn't seem to be anywhere near the point of needing rebuilt. The only engine work I've done is a set of spark plugs and coil packs.

07silvergt

Reaction score
Ford makes good stuff.
Just worried that if the timing chain is a bit worn, I won't be making quite as much power as I should. Or what if it being a bit off causes a big of detonation and it damages the ring lands and the motor dies earlier than it otherwise would have? I don't like this "life of the motor bs", I want to know how long timing chains are perfect for, and where replacing them would be a good maintenance thing to do

Dubstep Shep

WUB WUB VROOM VROOM
Reaction score
Basically, when ford designed that engine, they realized that the timing chain wears out looooong after some other component in the engine in the overwhelming majority of cases.

There's always some outliers that are just a freak accident, but if Ford says it's good for the life of the motor, and you haven't changed anything from Fords original design, you should be just fine leaving it where it is.

07TGGT

@user
Reaction score
I would say 200k is a good point to look at a motor rebuild in any case. If you're tearing it apart, a timing kit would be a good investment in my book.

Basically, when ford designed that engine, they realized that the timing chain wears out looooong after some other component in the engine in the overwhelming majority of cases.

There's always some outliers that are just a freak accident, but if Ford says it's good for the life of the motor, and you haven't changed anything from Fords original design, you should be just fine leaving it where it is.

You sure do talk out of your ass a lot. Good job back pedaling dumbass.

Engine rebuild at 200K? :roflmao:

5.ohmygod

Reaction score
I figure there's only one way to see how much the chain is worn, and that's to measure it. If you want to know if your timing is still on the money, pull the cover and check to see where everything's lining up. You could put it on a dyno and see if the power is looking about right.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
The 5.4 truck motors are infamous for the phasers going out. In fact many die hard Ford fans won't own another Ford 3v due to the issues. Our Mustangs use the exact same phasers but for some reason the issue isn't as prevalent in the 4.6. If it ever starts making strange noises from the timing chain/valve cover area, I would immediately begin planning to replace all the timing components. As long as it's not making unusual noises you're probably good.

Maybe the trucks are running 15w-40 delo or rotella? Same phasers, same motor design, it's got to be something besides the phaser imo.

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
I have some customers with well over 500,000 miles on their 4.6/5.4L's and they're still running strong.

I agree with the suggestion that if it aint broke, don't fix it. If you have a few hundred bucks you don't know what to do with, then tear it apart and replace it all. It's really up to you. But if it runs as you say it does, it doesn't need it. And nice job on the maintenance! That's what it takes.

On a side note, for everyone, don't run oil additives. A lot of them don't mix well with the synthetic blend Motorcraft oil, and it causes sludge/buildup.

Back