Tips for washing your car to keep from messing it upHere's a few things to consider w

DKS

Wax on, Wax off.
Reaction score
Yeah, I love the way that stuff smells, too. I guess I'm just weird, lol Maybe it reminds me of my CrotchRocket days.

Bingo

Because street car
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Re: water blades. They work fine as long as you keep 'em clean. Obviously if there's dirt/debris, it's going go transfer to the paint. After every pass, I feel the blade to make sure there's nothing on it - if there is, I rinse it with the hose.

So microfibre cloths scratch now? I thought that was exactly what they weren't supposed to do.
Anything will scratch if you press hard enough.

DKS

Wax on, Wax off.
Reaction score
So microfibre cloths scratch now? I thought that was exactly what they weren't supposed to do.

They are way way way better than anything else to prevent scratching because of the way they "trap" dirt/dust.

However, they will still scratch paint if there is any dirt or dust on it or the car.

On a non-black car you'd probably not notice it. And even on a black car if the finish is not show quality. But you take a car like mine that has a mirror finish and you can actually see the scratches happening when you try to dust using a quick detailer and microfiber.

I mean I use a microfiber to remove wax, sealant, or polish on a clean car and it's not a problem. I even use one to pat dry a water spot if needed.

However, drying a car with a microfiber will streak the car and dusting with one will scratch the car. It's still better then a chamois but not near as good as washing and blow drying it to get off dust.

Pure and simple if you rub anything across a car, and there is dust or dirt present, it will scratch it. A microfiber, even though it will "trap" dirt, is not a magic dirt eating cloth that completely devours every molecule of dirt and makes it disappear. It's still there in the cloth and it can do damage. You might not notice it at first depending on your paint's condition and color.

You should even be very careful how much pressure you use with your sponge/mitt etc. when you are washing your car. Even though there is a lot of lubrication and moisture to prevent scratching since the car is wet and soapy. It still can happen if you're rubbing a dirty sponge/mitt all over the car. Also, why you should wash in straight lines, as I mentioned, to prevent swirls. Straight line scratches are much less obvious than a bunch of circles if you do scratch it.

Last edited:

Ken04

gm troll basher
Reaction score

rford426

Resident 5.0 H8R
Reaction score
Thats all i used back home but now i live in fucking apts that are ass holes and won't even let me use there water hook up with MY hose to wash MY car... pisses me off I want a house!

Blxcklist

Hi Im Justin
Reaction score
My apartment sucks too. I have to go to a car wash and hand wash it with the high pressure thing.

Ken04

gm troll basher
Reaction score
Thats all i used back home but now i live in fucking apts that are ass holes and won't even let me use there water hook up with MY hose to wash MY car... pisses me off I want a house!
now is the perfect time to buy, low interest rates, cheap, cheap housing prices. Heck every $100,000 is only a per month $600 pmt.

3VPOWA

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
This might seem like a dumb question, but is it better to use an electric leaf blower instead of a gas powered one since the "exhaust" on gas powered leaf blowers IS the air blowing out?

DKS

Wax on, Wax off.
Reaction score
If that's true then I'd have to say use an electric for that reason. I use one of the $30 cheap ones from Wally World for my car. Thats all it ever gets used for. I have a big one for yard work.

Last edited:

mpf

forum member
Reaction score
DKS, you ever use any of the "quick detailers"? Or, do you always do the whole wash/dry thing??
One thing I noticed about the leaf blower, bought one couple of years ago...is that it makes the water droplets impossibly small, and they stay put, even on heavily 'waxed' cars. Never tried the water sheeting thing, so I'll give that a whirl.

DKS

Wax on, Wax off.
Reaction score
I never use any quick detailers. I find that they all streak and cannot be used in the sun. I do however use Maguire's Ultimate Quick Wax as a quick detailer. I actually did a thread on in. That stuff is great as a QD and can be used in the sun. It's what I use at shows since by the time I get to one I have dust on the car.

I'm actually getting ready to do a thread on what I've been doing. I've made it 4 weeks without washing my car using the UQW and Plexus and managed to not get any scratches or swirls.

knight rider

forum member
Reaction score
im a nut for detailing and this thread has been amazingly helpful. I knew about the leaf blower trick but i never thought to wash only in straight lines. No more circles for me. oh and i just became a believer in the UC over the past week getting ready for a local show. here are the results without a DA because at the moment i dont own one. and i gave swirl x a go a while ago and didnt think it did a thing either, returned it to the store the next day

before:
168006_10100161397140682_5140873_54997749_2591219_n.jpg

after:
front.jpg

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back