Tire Age

swodo

Reaction score
My 2011 Mustang GT tires are now six years old with 20,000 miles on them. Tread depth is good and there is no sidewall cracking or other signs of deterioration. Is there any safety issue due to age?

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
Check if there are any longitudinal cracks in the treads. If there are none there, none on the sidewalls, and there are no cuts/bulges, the tires should be safe to run.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
What does dry rot look like ?

https://www.kenwoodtire.com/blog/articleid/140/what you need to know about tire cracking .aspx

Cracking%20tire.jpg

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
I had a ragged 360 deg, full circumference crack, right where the outside sidewall meets the edge of the tread, on all 4 x corners of the 225 mm oem michelins on my 2011 Fusion. Pass side rear developed a slow leak, which became much faster. My tire guy said all 4 were toast, or gonna be soon. On the oem tires, instead of a ragged crack, there was a tiny bead of rubber sticking out aprx 1mm. I was not impressed, as their was bucket loads of tread depth left. All 4 corners had developed side wall separation. Inflated correctly and checked on a regular basis. Wife uses that car to run errands around town etc, it's just babied. I only got 5 years out of them, and barely 25k miles.

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
I hope the front tyres I bought from pentalab aren't dry rotted!!!!

mrt2you

forum member
Reaction score
i would look at it as a worse case scenario. what would happen if this tire blew out at speed or higher than recommended speeds in a turn. and how much would it cost me to repair the damages after it blew.
if it's a lightly driven car with a grandma driver i wouldn't have any problems with a few dry rot cracks. because the damages would probably be limited to a tire change and possibly a towing charge.
now if you drive the car hard and blew a tire the $$$ amount of damages to the car and possibly you would probably significantly exceed the costs of a set of tires by a large margin. replacing tires would be a no brainier.
the last scenario shows why i always replace tires after 5 years or the first sign of dry rot no matter how good the tread looks.

burnboy

Reaction score
The rule is six years from the dot number on the tire. There will be or should be 12 digits following the dot number on the side of the tire. The last two tell you the year. Six years from that year. Unless stored properly.

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
If they're stored properly and not directly exposed to heat/sunlight? They're safe to run provided there are no cracks anywhere in the sidewall and tread.

SlowPony46

Reaction score
At 5 years if there is no dry rot or cracks and the rubber hasn’t gotten hard I wouldn’t worry yet. Maybe next year.

The Nittos on my car are 10 years old and have almost full tread but they’ve gotten hard, don’t hook at all. i barely drive the car (32k miles in 11 years). I’m replacing them this month.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back