to two-tone or not??

j-stang

forum member
Reaction score
well i need to make a decision on whether or not i'm gonna two tone my car.
right now i have the xenon bumpers, with the bottom lip that goes around them painted alloy, looks great and clean. i had the idea i two-tone it the last time it went to the shop after a family member backed into it. chickened out about it because i did not want to mess up an already good thing, kinda a if its not broke dont fix it kinda thing.
well now that i am going to have to have the top half of it repainted thanks to a stray hood smashing it i am considering it again. seems like a second chance thing. i'm just scared the car wont have the same sleek sexy feel it has to me now. i love how clean it it and it simple and is not too busy yet will grab your attention.

i will be gettin the cobra R, this pic is of the hood i am getting on irishpwr46's car..
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d108/irishpwr46/dayhood1.jpg

i would use the alloy color (g2? i think is the color code for the alloy stangs) for the top half of the car and leave the bottom alone. the bottom lip will stay alloy. so the redfire will be in between the two layers of alloy.

i have put some crude photochops together. please give me some feed back.

12-18011twotonechop.jpg

12-18011.jpg

Picture818twotonechop.jpg

Picture818-1.jpg

Picture913-twotonechop.jpg

Picture913.jpg

j-stang

forum member
Reaction score
OH and there has been a gt500 spoiler added since these pictures

also i ment to put a poll on this post but hit the submit button before i thought about it.
so if maybe a mod could add a yes or no poll tha'd be cool.

thanks

Freaknazty

KEYBOARD NINJA
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
alloy

BUT there needs to be a pinstripe between colors imo , a friend of mine just painted his almost the same color redfire bottom and jet black top ( silver pinstripe I think )....looks bad ass . The main thing to figure out will be where you will end it in the back . He has no spoiler so just rounded it on the top edge of the trunk but with you having the spoiler you will have to change it up some .

j-stang

forum member
Reaction score
yes a silver pin strip would be nessasary to make the transition, i agree.
as far as where to stop it around the back, i would be following the body line around the sides and maybe either cut it up along the top edge of the gt500 spoiler so the top of the spoiler is alloy and from the back its redfire or run the paint around the trunk lid and have the whole spoiler alloy. but i think i'd like the spoiler to be red on the back because there is already alloy on the rear, i'd hate to have too much going on an make it look busy. idk. need more opinions.

Freaknazty

KEYBOARD NINJA
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
yes a silver pin strip would be nessasary to make the transition, i agree.
as far as where to stop it around the back, i would be following the body line around the sides and maybe either cut it up along the top edge of the gt500 spoiler so the top of the spoiler is alloy and from the back its redfire or run the paint around the trunk lid and have the whole spoiler alloy. but i think i'd like the spoiler to be red on the back because there is already alloy on the rear, i'd hate to have too much going on an make it look busy. idk. need more opinions.

leave the back red ....jmo though , pm forensicsteve he can show you pics of his ...... that's the car I was telling you about

Chris06GT

Dragging LS Ass..
Reaction score
I would do the bottom lip and side skirts read with the car....looks like a red sandwich...it would look better imo if the colors were only seperated once....

acrophobia13

eat. sleep. drive.
Reaction score
There's actually a guy in my town with a Redfire/Gloss Black two-tone, similar to what you're describing... if you want, I'll go out and snap a few pics for you... I've never met him but my cousin lives a few blocks from him and I see his car all the time.

irishpwr46

Official Site Vandal
Reaction score
i see WAAAAY too many s197s with the red/black two tone. its getting played out if you ask me. a guy in my club just bought a roush roadster and thats 2 tone red and black. try silver and black or yellow and black. or if you want to keep the red, try red and silver or alloy

j-stang

forum member
Reaction score
thanks guys, still undecided. i know i will not be using black it will be alloy.

i dont wanna mess up a good thing, but the car seems bland to me, maybe the cobra hood will set it off the way i'd like. even if its all redfire. but then i dont wanna wish i had done it, or hate that i did do it. eh we'll see, i'v chickened out of it once might do it again.

shatter

White And Nerdy
Reaction score
There is a two-tone S197 in my area. Custom orange paint on the bottom and black on the top and it looks really really nice.

07Alloy

forum member
Reaction score
I kind of like the two tone, but I agree about the pinstripe and getting the bottom painted red. I am partial to alloy of course. Code is G5 by the way. Love the car Jeremy.

US-1

Banned
Reaction score
The Alloy color on the redfire is just not doing it for me. Then again.....I think "Alloy" looks like mud but that's just me.

alloy6ix

Wiener Dog Racer
Reaction score
Someone said above the car would look good but paint the rockers and chin spoiler. a red sammich is a good way of putting it. lol. Otherwise, I think it would look pretty bad ass though. and the color code is G5.

06elnr

forum member
Reaction score
i kinda like the two-tone look....lol. alloy is just about black, thats the color I was going to go with for my top color first, but when we mixed it it was too dark so I had to custom mix some. I mixed 1-1 satin silver and alloy and then for the stripe we mixed 1-1 the custom top color and satin silver, it turned out great!

Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back