Towing Tech Thread - Car Transportation

kdanner

forum member
Reaction score
In your part of the country I'd want the most gear I could get in the truck.

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Someone mentioned rental trailers.

U-HAUL trailers are junk. Towing with them is butt-puckering scary. First of all, they weigh somewhere around 2,500 lbs. No open trailer has any right being that heavy.

Secondly, they have surge brakes, not electric ones. Surge brakes work by the trailer pushing on the ball hitch. So any movement on that hitch causes the brakes to activate, including going over a bump like bridge expansion joints.

thunderstang

forum member
Reaction score
This was my 96 f150 pulling my trailer. It had the 5.8L so it did pretty good. About a year ago I traded it for an 04 f250 with a 6.0. This is a steel frame trailer, with wood deck, twin 3,500 lb axles and brakes on the front axle. It's light and pulls great. I picked it up for a grand.

GallopingFord

I'm Cam - Mr. Indecisive
Reaction score
They suck, especially an up armored hummer which weighs less than one with a trailer.. It would be horrible to tow with. Haha

I would never tow with it hahaha. I just want one with a push bar so I could push people out of the damn left lane who sit there.

Sonicblue_s197

forum member
Reaction score
I just bought a new steel trailer last year 20' with a 2 ft dove tail, 7,000 pound axles, I just recently installed a winch and 2 18' boards to clear the fenders. I also added some grip tape on the ramps and dove tail, the only problem with my trailer is that it's really tall and I have run the jack up or back up onto the ramps to get my car up.

one eyed willy

Pizzle fo shizzle
Reaction score
I've had to use it twice now, one time from Sebring when I crashed it so I didn't really care what he did to it,lol,but he didn't hurt anything. One other time my power steering pulley fell off and had no problems. I gave up on drag racing because it's too rich for my blood and realized I get the most enjoyment from driving around town. If drag racing is your goal then I'd stick to your original idea of getting a trailer. When I get around to building a road course car I'll be looking for a small cheap trailer.

ummduh

forum member
Reaction score
Honestly as long as you stay with an open trailer, practically any 1/2 ton V8 truck or truck based SUV will do the job just fine. 2000 m/y and up, anyways.

If you have to tow a lot of mountains and you want an older truck, (toward the bottom of the 2ks), a 3/4 ton or better would be more ideal for the brakes alone.

The newest 1/2 tons are so ridiculously capable it's not even funny.

A lot of great information in this thread.
Just wondering though, I know my brothers f150 ecoboost fx4 can tow my mustang just fine. But what do you guys think about the new explorer sport for towing?

Are the Sports still the 2 door version? They used to be. In that case I would skip it.. The car+trailer is gunna push that thing all over.

Last edited:

GallopingFord

I'm Cam - Mr. Indecisive
Reaction score
Are the Sports still the 2 door version? They used to be. In that case I would skip it.. The car+trailer is gunna push that thing all over.

They haven't made the Explorer Sport 2 door since early 2000's

The new Explorer Sport is the most powerful model with the 3.5L Ecoboost 365HP and sport tuned this and that.

rcm90

forum member
Reaction score
Thinking about picking up a 2002 Yukon xl 4x4 for a tow rig. Any of you guys have experience with these? I'm going to most likely buy a 8.5x20' enclosed trailer to drag the car around.

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
Thinking about picking up a 2002 Yukon xl 4x4 for a tow rig. Any of you guys have experience with these? I'm going to most likely buy a 8.5x20' enclosed trailer to drag the car around.

IMO just skip the 8.5x20 and go right for the 8.5x24. They will tow exactly the same, they weigh almost the same and they cost almost the same. And with the 24' you can haul a lot more stuff like tools.

You will be able to tow with the Yukon XL. It will be turd slow and get horrible mileage, but it will be fine.

When hauling a big enclosed like that I really like to be in the 250/2500 category with a diesel. I'm spoiled from all my years of racing and I like to tow at at least 80mph though.:trophy:

ZmanM3

The Evil One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
IMO just skip the 8.5x20 and go right for the 8.5x24. They will tow exactly the same, they weigh almost the same and they cost almost the same. And with the 24' you can haul a lot more stuff like tools.

You will be able to tow with the Yukon XL. It will be turd slow and get horrible mileage, but it will be fine.

When hauling a big enclosed like that I really like to be in the 250/2500 category with a diesel. I'm spoiled from all my years of racing and I like to tow at at least 80mph though.:trophy:

I agree, I have the 8.5 by 24' trailer and it allows me to pull my motorcycle and car as well as any tools I'd like to take.

rcm90

forum member
Reaction score

I'm considering the 24' to throw the bike in as well with my roll around box.

I just want enough power to drag it up some of the mountains around here (don't care if its fast). Its windy as hell at times, so ill keep it around 65. I almost pulled the trigger on a mega cab cummins, but that really eats into the racecar budget :frown:

Now that I think about it.. I do have a 6.0 bottom end and 243 heads that I would throw in if it has no balls.

What trailers do you guys recommend?

Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back