Track Day Ruined

Laga

Reaction score
Went to track day at Blackhawk Farms raceway. This was my second time there and only third total. I was still in the novice class, but I feel ready to move to intermediate.
First session went great for about 8 laps of the 2 mile course. Then, when I went to pass on the straightaway, the car stumbled at WOT and about 100 mph. Not sure what the RPMs were at the time.
I back off and take it easy and see that the IATs are 201°F.
In the pits I discovered that the intercooler fans and water pump are not working. I lacked a electrical tester as did the people around me.
So I go back out next session and take it easy on the straights, but was able to pass every car in my group except a BMW M5. I could hang with a ‘17 Mustang GT and could have passed him had I had full power. The Wilwood brakes performed great, and the Nitto 555s performed well. I would get a good 6-7 laps and then had to take it easy because of the high temperatures.

This morning I start trouble shooting and within 10 minutes, I find that the 40 amp relay is not working. It only has a total of 28 amps draw on it. Plug in a new one , and everything works. Hope nothing else got messed up. I’ll go for a couple of WOT runs later today to test.

byblazed

Reaction score
That sucks... Hopefully no other damage was done! Good Luck!!

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
7 laps with no intercooler system. It can't be doing much at best... esp. Those exchanger fans that are an obstruction at track speeds. Remove all that stuff, the fans, etc... put a spray bar system in its place and hose the charge down with straight methanol.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
I had more than one lost track sessions and full track days due to mechanical issues. A few much worse than yours.
I feel the pain.

Laga

Reaction score
7 laps with no intercooler system. It can't be doing much at best... esp. Those exchanger fans that are an obstruction at track speeds. Remove all that stuff, the fans, etc... put a spray bar system in its place and hose the charge down with straight methanol.
The fans on the heat exchanger do a good job. When they have power. Spraying methanol into a PD blower is a bad idea.

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
Do you have the water pump + HE fans on the same relay position ?
eightly6gt is correct about the HE fans.... all they will do is impede airflow. They work at the dragstrip, in the staging lines etc, and that's it. If you measure the velocity of the HE fan, you will find it's minimal at best, 18-25 mph tops.

Water + meth injection into the blower elbow works good on a PD blower. Carmen on the roush forum used a pair of 225ml sprayers on the blower elbow, and a 50-50 mix of distilled water + meth. Then used it several times at Mosport on 30 min sessions on their roadcourse.

Laga

Reaction score
Yes, I was using the same relay. Total of 28 amps on 40 amp relay. Probably, that has to change.
Since only 1% of drive time of the car is on a road course, I’ll stay with the fans.

Before converting to E85, I asked Edelbrock and Lito about W/M injection. Both said don’t do it.

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
The fans on the heat exchanger do a good job. When they have power. Spraying methanol into a PD blower is a bad idea.
Thats up for debate, spray it after the blower (in place of ic)

Can lito be trusted? I heard he is in the pocket of Jimmy Deans Standard Oil.

Laga

Reaction score
Thats up for debate, spray it after the blower (in place of ic)

Can lito be trusted? I heard he is in the pocket of Jimmy Deans Standard Oil.
Exactly. It’s up for debate. I’ve noticed the ones that claim they block air flow are the ones selling oversized HE.

I thought Lito was part of the Illuminati

Frankief28

Reaction score
Hey guys random question I have 2012 gt with aluminum driveshaft auto 3:73 intakes tune lowered 1.5 inches with gt500 rims 285/35/19 in rear 255/45/19 in the front my car has vibrations at high speeds about 90 plus steeering wheel doesn’t shake car has been aligned and wheels balanced like 3 times what could it be ? Does the driveshaft have to be re balanced or is the transmission mount bad or yoke?

LarryJM

Resident Fuktard
Reaction score
Hey guys random question I have 2012 gt with aluminum driveshaft auto 3:73 intakes tune lowered 1.5 inches with gt500 rims 285/35/19 in rear 255/45/19 in the front my car has vibrations at high speeds about 90 plus steeering wheel doesn’t shake car has been aligned and wheels balanced like 3 times what could it be ? Does the driveshaft have to be re balanced or is the transmission mount bad or yoke?
I understand aluminum shafts will do that. Some say remount 180 degrees and try again.

Frankief28

Reaction score
So go back to where I had it installed and have them remount it? Also I was thinking it was transmission mount I heard it can cause vibrations at high speeds as well but I can’t seem to find where to buy one for the 6r80

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
Which brand of aluminum DS did you buy ? On the DSS-DS ( driveshaft shop) aluminum, 1 piece DS's, they use a universal joint at the front end...and a CV joint at the back end. (constant velocity joint). As the suspension moves up / down, the DS swings in an arc. Hence the CV joint at the back end, which will slide in /out a bit. With the car lowered 1.5 inches, your pinion angle will be outa whack. The fix for that is an adjustable UCA. They typ come with upper / lower mounting holes as well..to factor in whether the car has been lowered at the rear. With the pinion angle outa whack, you can easily get DS vibrations at anywhere from 60-110 mph. The DSS-DS, with the CV joint at the back end, makes pinion angle far less critical. The safest place to test is on the dyno, which is then a controlled environment. When the DS starts to vibrate, it will 'wobulate' like a skipping rope. Last thing u want is an exploding DS. There is a 'sticky' about pinion angles under the 4.6 section of S197.

DSS makes a drop in aluminum 1 piece DS for your 2012 automatic. They should be smooth up to 160 mph. The CV joint in the DSS-DS is field replaceable for aprx $100.00 Their DS's come balanced up to 9200 rpm. Any vibration is a pinion angle issue. DS's with a universal on each end are going to cause grief..esp on an automatic.

Frankief28

Reaction score
Ok thank you and yeah I had it on the duno few months ago guy never said anything about vibrations so I’m assuming couid be the pinion angle I actually have a UCA I just never installed it

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
Off OP's topic, but anyway . . .

You may have a pinion angle problem - when you lower the S197 the pinion angle changes (pinion flange angles down more). One-piece driveshafts can be fussy about pinion angle.

Are you sure about that front tire size? 255/45-19 is over an inch taller than 285/35-19 and has to look a bit odd. Can't find 255/45-19 in any of Nitto's current offerings, either (from your other thread).

Norm

Back