trans cooler questions

BeachMonkey100

forum member
Reaction score
So I'm limited with space to put a trans cooler pretty much anywhere but in the grille area of the car due to the massive intercooler and turbo kit in the engine bay, I just started searching on what I could find. I came across Earls trans coolers, just wanted some opinions on this or maybe something better that will fit in the grille of the car.

This is along the lines of something I was thinking of, I haven't measured the total height I have to fit the biggest cooler possible in there, but this is something along the lines of what I'm thinking.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Earls/361/80700A/10002/-1

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
Can you use a stock cooler? I am!
If you have some space between the radiator and a/c condenser, you can mount a stocker in there.

BeachMonkey100

forum member
Reaction score
I don't have much room between those, I modified all that to move the radiator forwarded much as I could.

I thought the stock cooler was in the radiator? Or is it along with an external passive cooler?

I'm wanting to try and use something with -an fittings, anywhere I can use them I do.

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
The oem ford auto tranny rad fits between the oem eng rad + oem AC rad.
Below is what I used on my 2010.

http://www.bmracing.com/products/70...13000-btu-rating-black/?mk=&yr=&md=&smd=&eng=

Fits like a glove. It's mounted directly below the oem auto tranny rad. It's plumbed in series with the oem tranny rad..with atf flowing through the oem tranny rad 1st... then through the B+M tranny rad. B+M Model # 70268. 13,000 btu.
8.5" tall x 11.25"wide x .75"deep. At only 3/4" thick, it easily fits..and mounts to the front of the oem eng rad.

I also installed the PA performance deeper auto tranny pan (sold by AM)..and also the JDM engineering catch can for the auto tranny. Locking style dipstick for the deeper pan ( holds another 4 qts) resides on firewall, just to the right of the battery. catch can resides on sidewall on driver's side, close to the corner of side wall + firewall.

b4 the B+M cooler was installed, the atf temps would rise from 170 to 200+ F in just a few secs with blower on. Not any more, doesn't budge, maybe 1-2 degs max. these are bar+ plate type....and the T stat works on viscosity. Local dyno place here in town sells loads of em, but they are available anywhere.

The model you listed from jegs won't work, it's too thick at 2" deep.
The B+M model #70264 is 14,000 btu... but it's also too thick @ 1.5" deep.

IF you are crammed for space, B+M cooler # 70255 will also easily fit. 5.75" tall x 11" wide x 3/4" deep. 9800 btu. http://www.bmracing.com/products/70...-9800-btu-rating-black/?mk=&yr=&md=&smd=&eng=

Last edited:

BeachMonkey100

forum member
Reaction score
I think you misunderstood where I intended to put the cooler I listed. It would fit where I would want to put it. I'm not sure how much room I have between the radiator and ac radiator to fit the one you listed. I will have to see about every option I have this weekend and go from there

Scott

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Have you considered a B&M HI-Tek A/T cooling system located under the rear tire well in place of the EVAP stuff?

BeachMonkey100

forum member
Reaction score
I would still have to pull the Evap system as well. I wanted to during the wire tuck but never got there. I might have to do this if I don't have any room up front for a decent cooler.

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
I think you misunderstood where I intended to put the cooler I listed. It would fit where I would want to put it. I'm not sure how much room I have between the radiator and ac radiator to fit the one you listed. I will have to see about every option I have this weekend and go from there

Assuming you still have the oem ford auto tranny rad in there, you won't have any problems with the 3/4" thick, slim line B+M tranny rad. The oem ford rad is as deep, or slightly deeper. Just mount the B+M directly below it, tons of room. Then plumb in series.

swflastang05

Back for More
Reaction score
I would still have to pull the Evap system as well. I wanted to during the wire tuck but never got there. I might have to do this if I don't have any room up front for a decent cooler.

Let me know if you decide to go this route, I have a brand new JPC mounting bracket for the B&M fan cooled rear mount cooler I didn't use for my 4r swap.

BeachMonkey100

forum member
Reaction score
alright so I finally had a chance to measure and check the clearances I had for a cooler this weekend. Even though I did move everything forward a slight bit, I still have about 1 13/16" clearance between the radiator and the ac radiator. So my options are pretty good, I do believe though I am going to go with the B&M #70268 since it's only 3/4" deep and I will have plenty of room to mount it and run lines.

3d2a9794b8485474726f4b6db9061a2b.jpg

Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back