Transmission removal and clutch install, i need help.

JTallon08GT

forum member
Reaction score
So i decided to change out my clutch and install a new one. I have done this before many times. So here is what i have going on.

I have removed the exhaust h pipe, i have removed the drive shaft, and intake.

I then removed the battery, took out the starter, removed the shift link all sensors and wires. I then removed support beam for the transmission and held it in place with a transmission jack.

I then placed a jack against the k-member, and took out the 2 nuts on either side by the struts, and both bolts on either side by the floor boards.

I then placed a jack with wood on the oil pan and then and then with the two jacks lowered the engine and trans together about 7 inches.

I then lowered just the transmission to lean it back, i removed all 7 transmission bolts (this is how many there are right?)
there was 2 on the top, 3 on the driver side, and 2 on the passenger side.

After that i am stuck, i cannot get the tranny off, it is NOT hitting the headers or the tunnel. i literally cant get it apart from the engine block at all.

After jacking the back of the tranny up and lowering it just a little, i have a gap on the top between the transmission and block just enough to fit a quarter, or nickel.

I have been trying and i cant do it, am i missing something here? Do i need to get a pry bar with a flat head on it and pry?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-Jeff

JTallon08GT

forum member
Reaction score
yes the 2 on that spacer plate, took out the rubber seal on drivers side to, the plug i pulled that out as well.

i have been playing with the jack on the k-member, the jack on the oil pan and the tranny jack and the sucker wont come off.

JTallon08GT

forum member
Reaction score
yes to fit a quarter maybe, on the top behind the intake manifold there is a little more room, but where the spacer thing is its a little closer together.

definitely a gap now, but i cant get it off, spent 3 hours trying wiggle it, but the engine movies with the tranny and its just bouncing around

techcargt

forum member
Reaction score
It could just be hung on the dowel pins,I have had to shake them pretty hard sometimes to get them loose . Also make sure they are "inline" with each other, no weight on the trans that will pull down hard on the imput shaft ,as this will cause the shaft and pilot bearing to bind .

JTallon08GT

forum member
Reaction score
It could just be hung on the dowel pins,I have had to shake them pretty hard sometimes to get them loose . Also make sure they are "inline" with each other, no weight on the trans that will pull down hard on the imput shaft ,as this will cause the shaft and pilot bearing to bind .

how do i tell if its inline the proper way? i alway just went back and forth

techcargt

forum member
Reaction score
Move it up and down , the trans, and find a neutral spot where you can tell that the motor is not moving when you are moving the trans up and down . You will have to find a way to keep the engine from moving around a lot while you are doing this or it will just keep getting in a bind. Sorry , thats about all the help I can give you this morning .

slow06stang

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Try to make sure you have an even gap all the way around and get a big flat head or a pry bar and pry it apart on one side a little then go to the other side and repeat until separated. I would say the dowel pins are hanging it up.

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
With the top trans bolts loose, would it make sense to raise up the engine/k-member so it's secure and not trying to pull any other direction?

It does sound like the trans is just hung up on the dowel pins and input shaft in the pilot bearing. Try to get space around the sides and bottom, similar to the space on top. Keep it straight as you separate it from the engine.
If its sitting -eyed, where there's space on top and none on the bottom, it'll be harder to get it apart. You may have to get the top closed up and more equal with the bottom so it can slide off the dowel pins straight.

Be careful!

Fullboogie

King of the Ski - OG Jr.
Reaction score
Try to make sure you have an even gap all the way around and get a big flat head or a pry bar and pry it apart on one side a little then go to the other side and repeat until separated. I would say the dowel pins are hanging it up.

This. You're just hung up on the dowel pins and possibly the input shaft into the pilot bearing. When removing a manual tranny, you really have to muscle it around to get it out. Pry bars, feet on the crossmember and yanking on the tranny, etc.

Make sure that car is very secure on your jack stands/ramps! I always use 4 jack stands and, if my front tires are off, I put the wheels under the front of the car to hopefully keep me from getting smashed.

JTallon08GT

forum member
Reaction score
Ok thanks guys I'm about to go get a pry bar and get this done. Hopefully the trams will come all the way out the car is only at about a16 inch lift

JTallon08GT

forum member
Reaction score
so i finally got it off with my pry bar, going back and forth, the rust and corrsion probably made it difficult.

now on to the install, my clutch kit that i have here has the pilot bearing but also something else that is like a pilot bearing but bigger.

What is this thing beside the pilot bearing?

Here is the pic, the pilot bearing is on the left. Unknown is on the right.

photo-1.jpg

JTallon08GT

forum member
Reaction score
ok thanks man! it made this job sooo much easier to have a jack stand that has 360 4 way head tilt.

after getting the transmission off the dowells, i then lowered to the floor, titled the bell housing forward and slid the tranny back giving me 3 feet of clearance!

All is working out so far.

I am weighing the factory flywheel and clutch, as well as the new stuff to see the weight shavings.

Fullboogie

King of the Ski - OG Jr.
Reaction score
Your shoulder blades are going to be sore as a mofo when you're done with this!

I'm too damn old/lazy not to use a lift. Good luck man, and two thumbs up for tackling this yourself.

JTallon08GT

forum member
Reaction score
Your shoulder blades are going to be sore as a mofo when you're done with this!

I'm too damn old/lazy not to use a lift. Good luck man, and two thumbs up for tackling this yourself.

they already are hahaha...

i just weighed the flywheels, and equipment.

factory GT flywheel = 22.2 lbs
factory pressure plate + disc = 24.4 lbs

exedy steel flywheel = 16.1 lbs
exedy mach 500 clutch + disc 28.3 lbs

so its essentially only a 2.2 lbs of savings LOL

also i have a nice slide hammer and puller adapter so the pilot bearing was easy also.

i am currently threadlocking the flywheel bolts with hight temp threadlocker.

i am not taking any chances on the tranny being difficult to install..so i basically sanded the dowells and dowell holes to get all the rust off and use liquid wrench 2 times, then i will grease it all and the input shaft with lithium lube and multi purpose grease so that the tranny should just slide back on.

i will post again soon

thanks guys.

cop on my back

forum member
Reaction score
Man I don't miss this job. I never thought to lower the engine, I did it with the K member in place. That transmission is way heavier than it looks. My whole upper body was bruised and stiff as hell after doing that job!

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back