Transmission/shifting issues resolved - Finally

NA-Stang

AMC #8 aka "The Jockey"
Reaction score
I can't seem to find my original post about this, so I started a new one. I hope that is alright.

2011 Mustang GT - Manual Transmission (MT-82)

I have experienced the infamous issues of being locked out of third gear at high rpm's.

For those of you having similar issues, and haven't resolved them, here is what was done to mine...

All of these parts were carefully researched, as I was sick and tired of having this issue, and I wanted to do everything possible to make it just, go the fuck away! Hours and hours of time was spent on the internet, first finding these parts, fluids, etc. Then, more time was spent looking for reviews trying to find anything negative about any of them. The parts selected weren't done on a whim, it took quite a bit of time. So, I hope my hard work will benefit some guys out there that are looking to fix their transmissions in their Mustang GTs.

Prior to all of this, I installed a blowfish racing bracket. This solved the problem on the street, but didn't take care of it in racing conditions, when everything got heated up significantly more, burn-out, high rpm launches, overall pounding on the car in race conditions.

First, I replaced the plastic hydraulic clutch line with a steel braided one. Also, I replaced the fluid as well, as it was getting murky looking.

Then, third gear synchros shit the bed, so the transmission had to come out. So, since it was coming out anyway, I did some research on some upgraded parts.

So, first upgraded part was an exedy mach 500 Clutch kit, which came with a pilot bearing, hydraulic slave/throw-out bearing, clutch, and pressure plate. did much research, and read nothing negative what so ever, and everyone seemed to love it.

Upon inspection, the transmission needed second and third gear, and second and third gear synchro assemblies and syncro rings. So, those were replaced.

Then, quite a bit of force was needed to get the cluster apart, and it compromised the cluster gear, so it was replaced.

AMP Distributing makes bronze shift pads and a bronze shift stop, to replace the plastic units in the car. So, purchased 8 pads (6 for the forward gears, and went ahead and replaced the 2 for reverse while I was at it).

Probably one of the most important parts purchased was a stiff rubber insert made by whiteline. It is inserted in the rubber transmission mount, right above the cross bar. It stiffens up the mount, and does not allow the transmission to deflect when under acceleration.

The transmission was all buttoned back up, and filled with Redline MTL transmission fluid.

I then looked up the proper break in procedure for a new clutch, and followed it to a tee.

The results? I couldn't be happier. I eased into it after the initial clutch break-in period. First shifted thru the gears at 5K. Then 5500, 6000, 6500, then finally 7000. Waited a day in between each step up. The car shifts like a dream. No notchy feeling, slides into every gear perfectly and effortlessly.

What helped the most? Who knows for sure. I just wanted to do everything possible, and didn't want to experiment.

If anyone has any questions or comments, please let me know. If there is something else that could/should have been done, let me know that as well.

05gtowner

forum member
Reaction score
Great post. Very informative. I hope this was mostly covered under warranty. I wouldn't invest that much time or money into an MT82.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
I had a mach 500 clutch in my Bullitt 3650 and found it not very user friendly. The pedal was very stiff and engagement was all the way down almost to the floor. This made for a lot of work to drive the car and I almost sold it because of the clutch. Instead I swapped in a T56 Magnum with a McLeod RST and that fixed it.

But getting back to my point, you don't find the Mach 500 to have a stiff pedal? I assume you still have the spring assist on the clutch pedal?

I've had a clunk in my MT-82 since 3000 miles and I'm not willing to let any Ford dealership touch it. I'll drive it until it breaks or pisses me off enough and throw in another T56 Magnum. As mentioned above, I'm not willing to dump money into a crappy Chinese gearbox.

NA-Stang

AMC #8 aka "The Jockey"
Reaction score
I had a mach 500 clutch in my Bullitt 3650 and found it not very user friendly. The pedal was very stiff and engagement was all the way down almost to the floor. This made for a lot of work to drive the car and I almost sold it because of the clutch. Instead I swapped in a T56 Magnum with a McLeod RST and that fixed it.

But getting back to my point, you don't find the Mach 500 to have a stiff pedal? I assume you still have the spring assist on the clutch pedal?

I've had a clunk in my MT-82 since 3000 miles and I'm not willing to let any Ford dealership touch it. I'll drive it until it breaks or pisses me off enough and throw in another T56 Magnum. As mentioned above, I'm not willing to dump money into a crappy Chinese gearbox.

It's funny you mention it, because the guy who did the transmission work for me said it was a lot stiffer than stock. I didn't notice any difference my self.

I rather like the clutch feel. I put a lot of time breaking it in, and from what I read, that can be a very important step in the drive-ability in the clutch. To me, it feels like my stock one did, maybe a little stiffer. Nothing to write home about.

My clutch must have been going south. I had an unexplained drop in ET, which i attributed to not being able to shift quickly (this was before I couldn't shift at all of course). Anyway, with my Drag Radials on, the tires break loose so bad now, that the traction control kicks in.

And, this wasn't covered under warranty. I got an asshole buddy deal though. Friend of mine is part owner of a trans shop, and he gave me a hell of a rate. Said he will chalk it up to experience on the MT82, as he hasn't seen any yet, and predicts he will be seeing more once warranties run out. So, he said he was using my car as a guinea pig. At any rate, I felt what it cost was well worth it, and waaaay cheaper than a T56 swap.

Townson

forum member
Reaction score
I bought some of the bronze shifter bushing sleeves from AMP. Really didn't care for their customer service as far as answering inquiries, but the sleeves are awesome. I had problems getting my 3650 into 2nd at the track. Replaced my stock shifter assembly with a billet Hurst and got those bronze sleeves and it's awesome now. Absolutely no sloppiness anymore.

joe_momma

forum member
Reaction score
Great info! I don't have a Yote at this point, but I'm sure others will find this helpful. One thing you might add if you could would be part numbers for the parts you installed, if you have them.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back