Trouble with airbag code aftermarket seat

Boss281

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
2005 Mustang GT. Original car came with side airbags in seats.

I'm very familiar with the thread on proper way to set up aftermarket seats and clear airbag codes when the OEM seat had the side airbags. Did the searches here and elsewhere.

Long story short, started racing the car in 2006 and pulled seats. Didn't care about airbag lights on dash until JBAILER here did a really nice write up on how to clear everything. Took a while but finally got it working fine. Used two terminator plugs ordered from FORD to clear the side airbags, , put passenger bladder in the Corbeau, plugged harness removed from driver seat to clear seat position sensor, burned candles, all working.

Last year, I took the car off drag duty and put eBay seats in car, sold Corbeaus. All works fine. Not happy with the stock seats on heavy cornering, bought Corbeaus again and did the airbag light voodoo again. No workee. Consistently get 2 flash/3 flash on dash indicator. So SRS code 23, which appears to be the passenger seat airbag fault, which SHOULD be fixed by one of those yellow terminators. Further searching reveals patterns lately that these terminators DON"T WORK ANYMORE? I mean WTF? Thoughts? Just want my passenger safe, and frankly don't want to have to search again for shitty OEM seats that clear the lights but don't support worth a damn....thanks in advance.

deadbob

Reaction score
Finding information on this has seemed to be the bane of my existence lately. Next week I'm going to be changing out my driver seat, I guess I'm just going to have to use my multimeter to measure the resistance on the plug and on the airbag, life would be so much easier without the seat side air bags. The 10+ guys seem to be able to just do 2ohm resistor in the plug, no information seems to exist for the 05-09s with the side airbags.

Boss281

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
DeadBob, it's been a pain. I finally cut open the resistor with a dremel and swapped the resistors to 2 ohms, and these work fine with two OEM seats I purchased from a 2006 V6 Mustang (no airbags, obviously). Interestingly, I get new codes when I put my Corbeau's in--the airbag code is fixed, so this code may have to do with the bladder in the passenger seat. That bladder was pulled from a 2009 electric passenger seat. I'm not quite sure how to diagnose this unless I can find another known good bladder and just plug it in and see if I get a code...

deadbob

Reaction score
This is why at least for now I'm only changing out my driver seat in my 2008, the airbag, so for the seat airbag part at least changing the plug (XF2Z 14022 AA) to 2ohms does work for the seat side airbag light on our year cars, I don't want to go through the pain and hassel of the passenger seat.

Boss281

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
This is why at least for now I'm only changing out my driver seat in my 2008, the airbag, so for the seat airbag part at least changing the plug (XF2Z 14022 AA) to 2ohms does work for the seat side airbag light on our year cars, I don't want to go through the pain and hassel of the passenger seat.

Swapping the bladder worked fine back in 2006, when I got a spare one out of a junk yard seat. My corbeaus were in the car for several years without a code, and the plugs I ought back then worked fine without having to swap the resistor out. I think the newly manufactured plugs are built to the newer cars-I am still going to try to find a working passenger seat bladder so I can put a new set of corbeaus in there (I sold my original seats and first set of Corbeaus with the bladder in it, thinking I'd never need them again).

deadbob

Reaction score
And your car did originally have seat airbags?

Boss281

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Yes, my car had leather and side airbags. I pulled them out, put in corbeaus, got lots of codes. bought 2 terminator plugs for the side airbag razzle dazzle, cleared those codes, got a bladder code. Went to junkyard and pulled a passenger seat in good shape from a 2006 that had airbags. That bladder went into the corbeau on the passenger side and all is well. Sold the OEM seats.

Stopped racing car years later, bought two non airbag seats from a 2006, then (stupidly) sold the Corbeaus. Had to rig the terminators with 2ohm resistors, all works well. Got bored just driving it with oem seats, decided to get Corbeaus again. Found a bladder from a 2009 car, but it appears to be non functional. So I need one good bladder and I'll have two sets of seats for the car that work...

deadbob

Reaction score
If only you never changed out your Orignal Corbeaus. I guess once my Sparcos show up, I'll just measure the resistance in the terminator and the resistance of plug on the airbag before I do any cutting, and a make a decent video for people on my youtube channel to make sure people don't have these problems in the future.

Scott

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
If only you never changed out your Orignal Corbeaus. I guess once my Sparcos show up, I'll just measure the resistance in the terminator and the resistance of plug on the airbag before I do any cutting, and a make a decent video for people on my youtube channel to make sure people don't have these problems in the future.

Looking forward to the instructions and video as this is on my 08 to-do-list.

slackinoff

S197 Team Member
Reaction score

Looking forward to this as well.

Boss281

S197 Team Member
Reaction score

Fuck, no. "Production" vs "Service". Interesting. I'm wondering how the hell I got it working in 2005, except I pulled the bladder from my OEM seat. I presume the ECM is the one under the dash, one per side? Or is there an ECM in the seat itself? I need to re read this and look at supplementary docs to see if I can still pull this off. I wish I knew a Ford tech that understood all this...

Thanks for the info, it's very helpful...

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back