Tune 4 bank switch

GOTTORQ

Reaction score
I know on older mustang year models these were popular, you could change the tune on the fly by fliping a bank switch for the tune of your choice. Do they have something like this for the 05-09 year? or do any of the newer hand held tuners offer a option like this? Im currently running a SCT X3

Here is why Im asking...

current mods are in my sig, just picked up some BBK longtubes, FRPP intake manifold over the winter. I want to throw a 100-125 shot on the car, to wake the car up a bit. Im a little reluctant to do so, Im content with my car, a little bored of the power, but I dont want to put a window in the side of the block, but from what ive read, if you set the window switch up right, its fairly safe.

I want the nitrous occasionally, just for some weekend fun or occasionally track days. And i think its kinda a pain in the ass, to whip out the SCT to reflash it.

Im new to nitrous, not even sure how it truly operates, can you run the nitrous all time? wouldnt it be super rich all the time? until the nitrous kicked in..

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
I swear I just saw this exact question asked somewhere...
No you can't, the 05+ ecm's are more complicated and take more time to swap tunes

RED09GT

Equal Opportunity Offender
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
You could just run the nitrous tune all the time. Everything else in the tune should be the same with the exception of the WOT parameters. Without the nitrous, it would be a dog at WOT but otherwise, should be just like normal.

s8v4o

forum member
Reaction score
The main drawback in running a nitrous tune all the time is your missing performance for the other 95-99 % of your driving. You'll be running around with less timing all the time and you're performance will suffer a little bit when not on the nitrous.

You're best bet is to change tune when you want to run it.

GOTTORQ

Reaction score
None of the newer tuners have the ability to change the tune on the fly? Like livewire?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
What I read there are so many parameters to change in comparison to older cars the tune just takes longer to install.

You might be able to Hodge podge together two ecm's on a switch but I wouldnt try it

RED09GT

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The main drawback in running a nitrous tune all the time is your missing performance for the other 95-99 % of your driving. You'll be running around with less timing all the time and you're performance will suffer a little bit when not on the nitrous.

You're best bet is to change tune when you want to run it.

I'm not a tuner but I don't see why the guy doing the tuning would change the parameters for anything other than WOT with nitrous. Nitrous systems are only active at WOT so the rest of the tune should be the same as a typical NA tune.

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
What if you upsized the injectors, tuned for it, and ran a dry shot through the MAF? I know it's possible to do that on some LS motors; is that a viable solution on 3Vs?

Sent from my toilet using Tapatalk

s8v4o

forum member
Reaction score
I'm not a tuner but I don't see why the guy doing the tuning would change the parameters for anything other than WOT with nitrous. Nitrous systems are only active at WOT so the rest of the tune should be the same as a typical NA tune.

Yes, and that's why NA performance will suffer like I mentioned. You have to pull timing to run nitrous. So if you're running a "nitrous optimized" tune you'll be running less than optimal timing for NA. Yes, that's for WOT and that's where performance will suffer correct, WOT? That's the only real change that's needs to be made to the tune is reduced timing.

If I'm running NA 95% of the time I'll be running a NA timing curve. When I want to use nitrous I'll load my nitrous tune.

Last edited:

RED09GT

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
With the hot-wire MAF of the 3v cars, not sure if it could work. The cooling from the nitrous would definitely have some effect on the element but I don't know enough to say if the MAF transfer function could be adjusted accurately for the conditions when the nitrous is flowing.
This definitely has me curious though.

awesome autocorrect malfunctions brought to you by tapatalk

s8v4o

forum member
Reaction score
One option that might work would be to have a switch that fools the ECU. Possibly hook a switch that alters the computers IAT readings with a resistor or something? If we can change IAT readings enough perhaps the ECU will automatically drop X degrees of timing when the switch is flipped? Basically make the switch simulate an extra 20-50 degrees in inlet temps.

Not sure how feasible this is but it seems plausible.

What if you upsized the injectors, tuned for it, and ran a dry shot through the MAF? I know it's possible to do that on some LS motors; is that a viable solution on 3Vs?

Sent from my toilet using Tapatalk

WET or DRY isn't really the issue. The issue is the timing. With a wet or dry kit both will need to take out timing.

Last edited:

702GT

S197 Fanatic
Reaction score
I've already been down this road with nitrous and flip switch tuning. My last nitrous build would have been a 75 shot to be run on my N/A tune, since it's such a small shot there isnt a need to pull timing as long as you're pilled correctly and running a wet kit. For the nitrous tune I was going to pill for a 125-150 shot. Only takes about 1min 30sec to switch tunes and pills. Can be a hassel depending how you look at it. A 75 shot in my car beat a pulley/tuned 427R Roush.

Would be nice to be able to run flip switch tunes though!

RED09GT

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Yes, and that's why NA performance will suffer like I mentioned. You have to pull timing to run nitrous. So if you're running a "nitrous optimized" tune you'll be running less than optimal timing for NA. Yes, that's for WOT and that's where performance will suffer correct, WOT? That's the only real change that's needs to be made to the tune is reduced timing.

If I'm running NA 95% of the time I'll be running a NA timing curve. When I want to use nitrous I'll load my nitrous tune.

Okay, I thought you were speaking as if the timing would be reduced everywhere in the tune, not just at WOT conditions. To me the "tune" is more than just the WOT part as I do most of my driving at less than WOT.

s8v4o

forum member
Reaction score
Okay, I thought you were speaking as if the timing would be reduced everywhere in the tune, not just at WOT conditions. To me the "tune" is more than just the WOT part as I do most of my driving at less than WOT.

I think your confusing what I'm trying to say. What I'm saying is that a nitrous tune will have less total timing (WOT). So when you are running around town on your nitrous tune (and not running nitrous) you will be running less timing that an NA optimized tune. That will hurt performance when not on the jiuce. That's all I'm saying.

Regarding your concern for non-WOT performance, that will depend on the tuner. If you are paying someone to do your nitrous tune then part throttle and everything except WOT will still probably be ok regarding timing. If you are trying to reduce timing via a handheld and reduce timing globally you will loose timing while not at WOT because it is a global setting. If I'm wrong here someone please correct me.

RED09GT

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I think your confusing what I'm trying to say. What I'm saying is that a nitrous tune will have less total timing (WOT). So when you are running around town on your nitrous tune (and not running nitrous) you will be running less timing that an NA optimized tune. That will hurt performance when not on the jiuce. That's all I'm saying.

Regarding your concern for non-WOT performance, that will depend on the tuner. If you are paying someone to do your nitrous tune then part throttle and everything except WOT will still probably be ok regarding timing. If you are trying to reduce timing via a handheld and reduce timing globally you will loose timing while not at WOT because it is a global setting. If I'm wrong here someone please correct me.

No, I'm not misunderstanding, trust me.
Maybe I made a mistake assuming that a proper tuner did the nitrous tune, not just someone plugging in their handheld and globally retarding timing.
A proper tuner would tune for the size of the shot (How much timing to pull), window switch settings (When to start pulling the timing), wet or dry, etc... Since most properly engineered Nitrous kits either have or tap into the TPS so that it only activates at WOT, it would take the TP to be over a set parameter as well reaching a certain RPM value before any timing gets pulled at all.
I do agree with you that WOT performance is going to suck with a Nitrous tune and no nitrous but I disagree that there will be reduced timing throughout the whole drive cycle.

s8v4o

forum member
Reaction score
:beerchug2:

Good, we're on the same page. First round is one me.

RED09GT

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
:beerchug2:

Good, we're on the same page. First round is one me.

Good to hear, kinda figured that. It's not always easy to see what is and isn't understood over a keyboard.

awesome autocorrect malfunctions brought to you by tapatalk

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back