Tunes and fuel mileage?

callahan318

Reaction score
What kind of tune are you using and what fuel mileage are you getting with it?

I am wondering if a tune is a worthwhile way to boost overall performance in a Stang, or if there is a better place to start.

*JZ*

forum member
Reaction score
The tunes that we've been writing for the 2011's have been getting about 3-4 more miles per gallon. IF you continue driving the car the same way as normal. Some people get the new found power and beat the hell out of the car and wonder why they're getting worse fuel economy. LOL HELLOOOO you're driving the car harder. LOL

But one of our BBR performance tunes will give you awesome throttle response, great power, better drivability and better fuel economy.

351inside

forum member
Reaction score
The tunes that we've been writing for the 2011's have been getting about 3-4 more miles per gallon. IF you continue driving the car the same way as normal. Some people get the new found power and beat the hell out of the car and wonder why they're getting worse fuel economy. LOL HELLOOOO you're driving the car harder. LOL

But one of our BBR performance tunes will give you awesome throttle response, great power, better drivability and better fuel economy.

Can you work out a tune that is specifically for better MPG's???

my 08 used to get about 4-5 more mpgs on the highway than my 2011, thats why im asking...

SirKnightTG

forum member
Reaction score
How can the tune get so much more MPG? Seems to me that Ford would have already done as much as they could in terms of MPG since that seems to be the most important thing to many people these days. It's not like the old days where no one cared about that kind of thing. Now it's everyone's #1 issue.

If 3-4 was on the table, Ford would have taken it knowing the sales of the Mustang would then go through the roof given today's reality of the importance of MPG.

Last edited:

*JZ*

forum member
Reaction score
Can you work out a tune that is specifically for better MPG's???

my 08 used to get about 4-5 more mpgs on the highway than my 2011, thats why im asking...

We sure can... Give me a shout.

How can the tune get so much more MPG? Seems to me that Ford would have already done as much as they could in terms of MPG since that seems to be the most important thing to many people these days. It's not like the old days where no one cared about that kind of thing. Now it's everyone's #1 issue.

If 3-4 was on the table, Ford would have taken it knowing the sales of the Mustang would then go through the roof given today's reality of the importance of MPG.

We can do so b/c we can go through the fuel parameters and make small adjustments through out your RPM range. Therefore not allowing unneeded fuel to be used. In turn making better fuel mileage.

JDM74

forum member
Reaction score
You also have to remember that Ford has to pass emissions testing. Running lean during cruise make NOX in the exhaust go through the roof and that won't pass the EPA's emissions standards. GM's 4th generation F-bodies sold in europe had "lean cruise" used to raise gas mileage significantly. It wasn't on the US cars because it would never pass emissions with it.

Irishman

Ricer
Reaction score
Really depends on the tunes. If its a Metallica or Korn tune then my mileage goes way down. Load up some Dave Matthews and my mileage goes back up.

brycerichert

Reaction score
I find it hard to believe that a billion dollar company couldn't get 3-4 mpg out of this car while a simple tune could.

Either you wont pass emissions, or this tune really won't give you 3-4 better mpg.

Seems a little fishy this 3-4 mpg increase. I may be wrong, but I'm just coming from the common sense side of things.

Ch4r1ie

The Limey Bastard
Reaction score
Really depends on the tunes. If its a Metallica or Korn tune then my mileage goes way down. Load up some Dave Matthews and my mileage goes back up.

:roflmao:

I certainly didn't buy and don't drive my Mustang for fuel economy... then again I only have to pay 28 cents a litre for gas! :evillaugh:

SirKnightTG

forum member
Reaction score
You also have to remember that Ford has to pass emissions testing. Running lean during cruise make NOX in the exhaust go through the roof and that won't pass the EPA's emissions standards. GM's 4th generation F-bodies sold in europe had "lean cruise" used to raise gas mileage significantly. It wasn't on the US cars because it would never pass emissions with it.

Ah I see. I didn't realize that.

The EPA should be renamed to Fuktards-R-Us.

Agent Jones

forum member
Reaction score
We sure can... Give me a shout.

We can do so b/c we can go through the fuel parameters and make small adjustments through out your RPM range. Therefore not allowing unneeded fuel to be used. In turn making better fuel mileage.

can you do that on a saleen supercharged car?

DKS

Wax on, Wax off.
Reaction score
I find it hard to believe that a billion dollar company couldn't get 3-4 mpg out of this car while a simple tune could.

Either you wont pass emissions, or this tune really won't give you 3-4 better mpg.

Seems a little fishy this 3-4 mpg increase. I may be wrong, but I'm just coming from the common sense side of things.

I think John just explained that, dipshit.

Big50

forum member
Reaction score
Not good enough moron.

You can doubt it all you want but you are not an experienced tuner and you have no actual data to point to other than your "common sense". I understand being skeptical but you should probably do some research first.

DKS

Wax on, Wax off.
Reaction score
Not good enough moron.

Oh, geez, we got us another smart one here. Maybe you should do some more searching and less talking. The grown ups are busy dealing with facts here on this forum. Head over to MF and all you guys can sit around and reason out why proven technology isn't effective because you don't understand it. . :dunce:

brycerichert

Reaction score
Oh, geez, we got us another smart one here. Maybe you should do some more searching and less talking. The grown ups are busy dealing with facts here on this forum. Head over to MF and all you guys can sit around and reason out why proven technology isn't effective because you don't understand it. . :dunce:

Yes, nice "facts" asswipe.

callahan318

Reaction score

Ok, that is freaking awesome. Here is my next question-

Will it void the warranty out if I load a different tune than the factory one?:idea:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back