Turbo guys......Gears?

Keep stock 3.31 gears or switch to 3.55 or 3.73 with turbos

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

US-1

Banned
Reaction score
So the "twins" should be here in about a week. I'm wondering about gears. While there is not that big of a difference between the three gear choices on the highway or where mileage is concerned I am curious to know if any of you have noticed a big difference in performance by switching the gears.

Stock 3.31 right now.
3.55 or 3.73?

GRAYPNY

Rich
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
If you are stock with 3.31's now you would feel and big difference by going to the 3.73's.

It was like me going from 3.55's to 4.10's.

ChevyKiller

Preferred Internet Drink
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
With the twins on at the track, dpending on where you are going to shift, my money is that 3.55's will be the max and may even have to keep the 3.31

I wouldn't do sqaut until you see exactly where you're at...:naughty:

US-1

Banned
Reaction score
I won't do anything about it until we go down the track. Depending on how fast the car is it might need a bar anyway (more than likely). The shop quoted me a two week time frame to do the conversion on the rear end. Rear is out.....bar goes in at that time. We will see.

That's another interesting deal. I called two places that I really trust on differentials since I can't do one after everything was stolen from the shop. We'll call them "Shop A" and "Shop B".

Shop A: C-clip eliminators are fine, Moser axles, Detroit Locker, Girdle cover, gear, install kit, fluids, labor = $1780.

Shop B: No way on c-clip eliminators. Install Moser 9" ends, axles, Detroit Locker, girdle cover, gear, install kit, fluids, labor = $1630. With a True-Trac differential we are down to $1360. Spool takes it down to $1150.

I'm thinking Shop B here, kids. Big question is which differential? Popular consensus around here is the Detroit Locker based on the weight of these cars and the power output. Opinions?

retfr8flyr

The Old One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
With your sponsor wanting a “Street Driver” I would go with the Locker. I don’t think the Tru-Trac would hold up with your projected power levels and the amount of racing you plan.

As far as the gears go I have 3.73’s in mine but I will be running a 28 inch tire. I may have to go down to a 3.55 just have to see when I get it done.

Earl

cekim

Large Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Locker hands down for you.
It'll handle the power - the true-trac may not, though you will get more out of it with an auto...

I am keeping my 9" locker for "more power Scotty" runs this year, but I am also getting a 9" true-trac setup for off season and any part of the season in which I am going for consistency over power... With the 9" I can swap them out in about 2 hours - not so with the 8.8...

CK says the locker in the 8.8 is "streetable", but the locker in the 9" is pretty brutal - blip the throttle on a turn and at a minimum you get a little wiggle out of the rear end. Even thinking about "pulling" out of a turn and you are going sideways which takes the fun out of driving when you are not on the track... I _can_ drive it on the street, but it ain't fun...

You can improve things with a REALLY stiff rear (BMR extreme anti-roll), but that just means you lose the tires faster on my setup. Its like re-enacting a Dukes of Hazzard show getting to the grocery store.

So, the trade-off is a noisy, clunky, wiggly rear end that can handle anything you throw at it, or one that is "fun" to drive on the street...

Again, I can only speak for the 9" locker - CK can argue the case for a possibly more civilized 8.8 version...

The true-trac in the 9" tops out at 600-650RWHP so I am told, the 8.8 has to be lower, but I don't know where it stops...

169stang

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
3.55's fo sho....been there...done that! Traps @ redline. 4.10's, you'll run out of gear before the 1000' mark. First time down the track with 4.10's, it just stopped pulling. Made me feel like I needed to slap it in the ass to get moving!

fin1

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Given my power level I don't have an issue running out of gear w/ a turbo but if the car were to make more power, it would be an issue. On a 28" tire w/ 4:10, I trap @ about 6400-6600 RPM.

Fastmover

Resident Fuktard
Reaction score
You should def add a 4.30 or even a 4.56 rear! 8.8 should keep you in check, your really not making more 600 rwhp are you. If your not planning on adding the cage, keep it 3.55, just to keep from being illegal.

US-1

Banned
Reaction score
You should def add a 4.30 or even a 4.56 rear! 8.8 should keep you in check, your really not making more 600 rwhp are you. If your not planning on adding the cage, keep it 3.55, just to keep from being illegal.
Chris...you know damn good and well that I'm not going to listen to anything tech-related that you pipe up about. And yes, I'll put the roll bar in the car just so I can legally outrun your ass. :clap:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back