Updated dyno on my 3v Turbo

lito

forum member
Reaction score
That due to the .020 overbore? I run stock bore 15cc diamonds.

My guess is that is an error somewhere in your calculation, the overbore will actually bring the CR up, not down. (because even when the compressed volume changes up slightly, the displacement -bore increase*stroke- increases much more).

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
That makes sense. I built the engine 6-7 years ago so its been awhile but that's what they were advertised as when I bought them and I did do a calc back then now curious lol

Wraith

forum member
Reaction score
I think the numbers are probably optimistic from the dyno in all honesty but we all know how that goes from dyno to dyno. The fuel system shows to be about 92% utilized so we have room to play but not really much need to do so as even on 16psi the car spins @ 100mph sometimes when the weather is in 50's.

Its not the fastest out there but makes a really fun street car with wide power band to play in and spools quick. Even the lower compression isn't much of a bother with the cams locked out thing comes in hard and quick.

I'm probably done adding power to this car and will drive as it sits for a while. If I can get a legit 10.X @ 12X time slip this summer its surpassed my goals. Adding some bracing to the driveline in the hopes that it makes enough passes to do the above and not break lol.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
As you edited your post.

Check the Diamond parts catalog. http://www.diamondracing.net/pdf/Ford-Section.pdf

They list it at 8.7.

Looks like diamonds catalog now has 45cc, 51cc and 55cc. So they are assuming max variance looks like,I always used 49.6cc in the calc.

Ford service manual gives a range:

Combustion chamber volume 48.1-51.1 cc (2.94-3.12 cu)

46addict

Reaction score
I think the numbers are probably optimistic from the dyno in all honesty but we all know how that goes from dyno to dyno. The fuel system shows to be about 92% utilized so we have room to play but not really much need to do so as even on 16psi the car spins @ 100mph sometimes when the weather is in 50's.

Its not the fastest out there but makes a really fun street car with wide power band to play in and spools quick. Even the lower compression isn't much of a bother with the cams locked out thing comes in hard and quick.

I've read in a tech article here that once the injector duty cycle reaches 90-92%, there is nothing more left in it. But if you aren't going lean I suppose it's nothing to worry about.

And 100mph burnouts? :omfg::clap:

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Injectors go static at 90-92%, any more than that and you can get loss of flow control. Usually seen by lean spikes when fuel pressure is still solid. When pump maxes you get a pressure drop.

Wraith

forum member
Reaction score
The 92% was a reference to the pump data log. It seems like we have head room just not going to push it for a number is all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wraith

forum member
Reaction score
I've read in a tech article here that once the injector duty cycle reaches 90-92%, there is nothing more left in it. But if you aren't going lean I suppose it's nothing to worry about.

And 100mph burnouts? :omfg::clap:

So long as it goes straight. The thing with a good tire on it will blister it in 1st and 2nd. I know if I could WOT shift and tranny hold it one pass it would go into 10's

lito

forum member
Reaction score
Looks like diamonds catalog now has 45cc, 51cc and 55cc. So they are assuming max variance looks like,I always used 49.6cc in the calc.

Ford service manual gives a range:

Combustion chamber volume 48.1-51.1 cc (2.94-3.12 cu)

We work with 51, we measured a head cutout we have to inspect and it came 51 too. And even with 49, it won't ever make 9.1:1 check your calculator.

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
We need a litopedia, accompanied by the bruceopedia. People are looking for this cc information all over the web.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
So long as it goes straight. The thing with a good tire on it will blister it in 1st and 2nd. I know if I could WOT shift and tranny hold it one pass it would go into 10's

Let it eat, if it breaks you get to upgrade ;)

My 3650 was a champ, never had an issue at 600-650 range, but I upgraded to the 6060.

Wraith

forum member
Reaction score
That's only way the wife will allow another tranny lol

46addict

Reaction score
I'm hoping you have a few numbers that I'd be interested in.

Do you know the commanded rail psi and fuel pump duty cycle at max rpm? The 405 is something I've thought about doing if I go forced induction (again) in the future.

Bruce you got a pm.

I'd like to know this as well. Do you have the numbers handy?

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Basic run down is 600hp is a safe max limit and what I rate it too. A typical setup at 500hp at 10psi will see 70-75% max duty cycle at stock delta pressure, 9-11 volts. Highest I have seen it handle was 625rwhp 95% duty cycle on a low comp turbo car 16psi. And seen one only support 550rwhp on a high compression 302 stroker pd setup at 12psi. As always you can easily have 10-20% variance from one car/setup to another.

Last edited:

46addict

Reaction score
And that is without a BAP? That's pretty impressive. Do you recall what injectors were used on the 16psi setup?

I ask because my 405 is maxed out but delta pressure is set at 44-47psi with a 11.5 AFR target. I wonder if the tuner will drop the delta pressure a bit if I added power to this setup or if he will recommend a bigger pump.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back