Upgrade supercharger or go turbo

hockeygod

forum member
Reaction score
Currently running a forged 3v motor with ported and polished heads, Ford racing intake manifold, and blower cams. Have a paxton 2200sl with only 6500 miles on it but I am maxed on impellar speed with a 10% od pulley and 3.12 blower pulley. Looking to hit 800+rwhp. Was either considering a ysi, jt-b trim vortech, or a turbo kit. From my research I don't think I will be able to apin the ysi fast enough to get power out of it. The jt-b might possibly get me there. I was really looking for a twin turbo kit but it seems nobody reputable is making them for the 2010 mustang. What single turbo or other options should I be considering?

JJ427R

Reaction score
Hellion has the single turbo system for the 2010 available with several different turbo options from 61-76mm I would contact them about a possible dual system?
https://www.hellionpowersystems.com/product/hellion-2005-2010-ford-mustang-gt-single-turbo-system/

Can I ask how you are planning on using the car, street, strip, autocross or road course? That would determine more for me how I would build it. I'd probably call Hellion though...

I have a 2010 Roush automatic with the M90 SC , 2.49 pulley pushing 8-9lbs boost. Stock motor, no forged internals. The SC creates a lot of heat when I push it running on road courses. In turn everything else gets hot too, all the way down to the transmission. I've upgraded to Fluidyne Triple Flow Triple Pass Radiator and the same Dual Fan Heat Exchanger, B&M Racing trans cooler, Performance Automatic larger Pan, MMD Hood Vents, and it still overheats both motor and trans. So if running road track I probably would not recommend this setup... My next track car will more than likely not have a blower or turbo...

konablue11gt

forum member
Reaction score
I'd give Vortech a call in the long run its going to be much cheaper to replace a blower than change an entire system. They make many blowers that should suit your needs.

hockeygod

forum member
Reaction score
Hellion has the single turbo system for the 2010 available with several different turbo options from 61-76mm I would contact them about a possible dual system?
https://www.hellionpowersystems.com/product/hellion-2005-2010-ford-mustang-gt-single-turbo-system/

Can I ask how you are planning on using the car, street, strip, autocross or road course? That would determine more for me how I would build it. I'd probably call Hellion though...

I have a 2010 Roush automatic with the M90 SC , 2.49 pulley pushing 8-9lbs boost. Stock motor, no forged internals. The SC creates a lot of heat when I push it running on road courses. In turn everything else gets hot too, all the way down to the transmission. I've upgraded to Fluidyne Triple Flow Triple Pass Radiator and the same Dual Fan Heat Exchanger, B&M Racing trans cooler, Performance Automatic larger Pan, MMD Hood Vents, and it still overheats both motor and trans. So if running road track I probably would not recommend this setup... My next track car will more than likely not have a blower or turbo...

I know it may sound crazy but it's mostly a weekend daily driver and a few times a year at the strip and that's it. I know a new vortech blower will run about 4k which to me seems kind of expensive for just a head unit which is why I was considering a system swap all together.

05sonic4.6

forum member
Reaction score
I’d vote to upgrade the head unit. Only cause you’ll have to swap your cams out if you decide to go the turbo route. I switched from a ProCharger to a turbo a couple years ago and although I like the power band more I miss the simplicity of the ProCharger sometimes. The lag gets to me some days too and I’m running a forward facing single 66mm turbo. If you have some fabrication skills you can put together a turbo kit pretty cheap. Which is what I did, but otherwise you’ll probably end up spending less just upgrading your head unit.

hockeygod

forum member
Reaction score
I’d vote to upgrade the head unit. Only cause you’ll have to swap your cams out if you decide to go the turbo route. I switched from a ProCharger to a turbo a couple years ago and although I like the power band more I miss the simplicity of the ProCharger sometimes. The lag gets to me some days too and I’m running a forward facing single 66mm turbo. If you have some fabrication skills you can put together a turbo kit pretty cheap. Which is what I did, but otherwise you’ll probably end up spending less just upgrading your head unit.

I have the skill but not the equipment anymore to Fab my own turbo kit. I was however thinking maybe a large centri blower with a wastegate similar to beefcakes torque booster would be good to pick up low to mid-range hp. If anyone could weigh in on that for a non coyote.

Sactown

Sactown
Reaction score
IMO a single or even twin turbo setup would be the way to go, you will make the 800rwhp running less boost than you would with a blower. There is no power lose due to belt drag. When I switched from a Procharge FR1 to a 76mm turbo, I picked up 100rwhp running about 3psi less boost, I wish I would have went straight to the turbo instead of pissing all that money away on the Procharger. BTW, don't worry about changing cams, I am making well over 1000 to the tires and still running 127350 Stage II blower cams. Should the cams be swapped for turbo cams, of course, but the blower cams will work for now, even though you will make more power with the turbo cams.

hockeygod

forum member
Reaction score
IMO a single or even twin turbo setup would be the way to go, you will make the 800rwhp running less boost than you would with a blower. There is no power lose due to belt drag. When I switched from a Procharge FR1 to a 76mm turbo, I picked up 100rwhp running about 3psi less boost, I wish I would have went straight to the turbo instead of pissing all that money away on the Procharger. BTW, don't worry about changing cams, I am making well over 1000 to the tires and still running 127350 Stage II blower cams. Should the cams be swapped for turbo cams, of course, but the blower cams will work for now, even though you will make more power with the turbo cams.
Is there a specific turbo kit you would recommend if I went that route. I have contacted several companies latley who all say they are only doing coyote motors now and the only kit I see left available is the hellion which for some reason does not seem to be capable of supporting higher numbers unless i am wrong.

Sactown

Sactown
Reaction score
Is there a specific turbo kit you would recommend if I went that route. I have contacted several companies latley who all say they are only doing coyote motors now and the only kit I see left available is the hellion which for some reason does not seem to be capable of supporting higher numbers unless i am wrong.

AED built my turbo setup and tuned the car, but it is looks pretty straight forward if you have the time, tools and know how. The Hellion website states 500rwhp with a 62mm, I am making well over 1000rwhp with a single Precision 76mm, now granted I have no exhaust and several other mods to get to that point, but back when I had full exhaust I was making around 875 to the tires running e85. I don't see why you couldn't get around 800rwhp with the same turbo I am running (with supporting mods). Have you called Hellion? Or spoken to a tuner?

hockeygod

forum member
Reaction score
AED built my turbo setup and tuned the car, but it is looks pretty straight forward if you have the time, tools and know how. The Hellion website states 500rwhp with a 62mm, I am making well over 1000rwhp with a single Precision 76mm, now granted I have no exhaust and several other mods to get to that point, but back when I had full exhaust I was making around 875 to the tires running e85. I don't see why you couldn't get around 800rwhp with the same turbo I am running (with supporting mods). Have you called Hellion? Or spoken to a tuner?

If I go turboni can sell off my paxton kit,. Kooks exhaust and current fuel system which all have less than 6k miles total. I have not contacted hellion yet but I have been waiting to hear back from my tuner for a month now as he says he is really busy. My motor is at his shop out of the car right now without my supercharger installed right now so I figured it was a good time to make this decision. What supporting mods do you already have. E85 is unfortunately not available in my area. I would also still need to pass emissions so I have to have a way to do that as well.

Sactown

Sactown
Reaction score
I would imagine you should be able to sell that kit pretty easily as it is very popular, but I would hold off on selling it until after you speak with your tuner about changing over to a turbo, some of the mods you have you may be able to use with the turbo, particularly the fuel system components.

As for mods I have, the list is way too long, but I will break it down somewhat below, and more than you need to support 800rwhp. What you will most likely (other can chime in, I am sure I will miss something) needs is: ID1000 injectors, and dual fuel pumps, which you probably already have. The options on the hellion kit look good, but I would go with an AMS boost controller, but that is just my opinion.

What is have: ID1300 injectors, triple fuel pumps (triple hat), fuel rails, AMS-2000 boost controller, electronic CO2 system control by the boost control for the waste gate, 2 step, bumpbox, very loose torque converter, Ford racing throttle body, ford racing intake, and changed from 4.30 gears to 3.73. The best recommendation I can give is tell your tuner what you want, your expectations, and your budget, then let the tuner tell you what he needs to get to get you there. As for emissions, you will need to figure out what is legal in your state, and I would also recommend running some 100 octane mixed with your pump gas since you can get e85 in your state, you might be able to order it online, but I have not checked.

hockeygod

forum member
Reaction score
I would imagine you should be able to sell that kit pretty easily as it is very popular, but I would hold off on selling it until after you speak with your tuner about changing over to a turbo, some of the mods you have you may be able to use with the turbo, particularly the fuel system components.

As for mods I have, the list is way too long, but I will break it down somewhat below, and more than you need to support 800rwhp. What you will most likely (other can chime in, I am sure I will miss something) needs is: ID1000 injectors, and dual fuel pumps, which you probably already have. The options on the hellion kit look good, but I would go with an AMS boost controller, but that is just my opinion.

What is have: ID1300 injectors, triple fuel pumps (triple hat), fuel rails, AMS-2000 boost controller, electronic CO2 system control by the boost control for the waste gate, 2 step, bumpbox, very loose torque converter, Ford racing throttle body, ford racing intake, and changed from 4.30 gears to 3.73. The best recommendation I can give is tell your tuner what you want, your expectations, and your budget, then let the tuner tell you what he needs to get to get you there. As for emissions, you will need to figure out what is legal in your state, and I would also recommend running some 100 octane mixed with your pump gas since you can get e85 in your state, you might be able to order it online, but I have not checked.

I was looking to go to a return triple pump fuel system . I currently have deitchwerks 78lb injectors but may need to go to 1000-1300cc . I have a dual boost a pumps with gt500 dual fuel pumps but I think getting close to 800 hp may be ragged edge. I have a Ford racing manifold with larger throttle body and ported and polished heads. Emmissions wise Rhode island is tough. No sniff but can't have any lights on and have to have all equipment active and ready except for 1 sensor.

Sactown

Sactown
Reaction score
I was looking to go to a return triple pump fuel system . I currently have deitchwerks 78lb injectors but may need to go to 1000-1300cc . I have a dual boost a pumps with gt500 dual fuel pumps but I think getting close to 800 hp may be ragged edge. I have a Ford racing manifold with larger throttle body and ported and polished heads. Emmissions wise Rhode island is tough. No sniff but can't have any lights on and have to have all equipment active and ready except for 1 sensor.

Triple return system would be more than enough, that is what I am running, you will need 1000cc injectors or I would think your tuner would want them, IMO the 78 won't be enough. The manifold, throttle body and heads are perfect. Your tuner should be able to get you around the smog IMO or may be do a smog friendly tune with all senors active if your tuner normally turns off the knock senors. Keep me posted.

Marble

forum member
Reaction score
If you are serious about switching to a turbo, I have a PTE 7675 GT42 turbo that I am selling. Full ceramic BB, polished and ready to make big power. Shoot me a PM if you are interested.

You will spend a significant chunk switching to a turbo, but you will recoup some cost by selling what you have. With the 3 valve it seems if you wasnt to make big power reliably it calls for a turbo.

hockeygod

forum member
Reaction score
If you are serious about switching to a turbo, I have a PTE 7675 GT42 turbo that I am selling. Full ceramic BB, polished and ready to make big power. Shoot me a PM if you are interested.
You will spend a significant chunk switching to a turbo, but you will recoup some cost by selling what you have. With the 3 valve it seems if you wasnt to make big power reliably it calls for a turbo.

I will keep this in mind. I should have figured out the final details by mid october. Do you know if that will bolt into the hellion piping kit as I would still need everything else to get this installed.

Marble

forum member
Reaction score
I doubt it. My suggestion would be to go with CG fabrication.

https://cgfabrication.com/collections/ford-3v-racing-kit/products/copy-of-3v-racing-kit

Its semi custom and very simple in design. You would need blow off valves, controller, waste gate, intercooler, some slight fabrication to make turbo fit etc. ID1000s

The inlet and outlets and the turbo are slightly larger around 3" to allow flow. Its really a serious piece. I bought it with the thoughts of basically making a copy of what Sactown has and make a couple hundred more horsepower. But...I have kids needing cars and college so I won't be doing the swap.

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
Should be able to get a decent jump on a new gt500 by selling this thing for 18k or so?

What is the appeal of 800hp over what the car makes now?

hockeygod

forum member
Reaction score
Should be able to get a decent jump on a new gt500 by selling this thing for 18k or so?

What is the appeal of 800hp over what the car makes now?

The appeal is really just a want. I want to keep my full heavy interior and still be able to hit good numbers when I hit the track 1-2 times per year. When i purchased my paxton I obviously didn't do enough research and wanted some room to grow horsepower wise. I didn't realize at the time that the sl varient had a much lower rpm than a standard 2200. I also did not realize how much parasitic loss the blower takes from the engine. A New gt500 would be unrealistic in comparison to my paid off mustang which looks the way I want it and has every mod possible not to mention all of the literal blood and smashed knuckes I put into it.

hockeygod

forum member
Reaction score
Spoke with my Tuner today and he advised me against going turbo and to upgrade my supercharger head unit. He felt that the 3 valves were not well matched for turbo compared to supercharger. He recommended also upgrading to a higher rib count pulley system. What are your thoughts on the jt-b trim vortech vs ysi? Also who makes a 10 rib pulley kit for our cars.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back