How to tell: Vortech S vs Si

AHaze

Reaction score
This is a bit long but I'm trying to piece together some info for others to reference in the future so I hope you'll bear with me.
I recently recieved the "new" Vortech kit I purchased for my '05 GT. When it arrived, I found most of the boxes were dated 2008 and the serial # on the head unit fits with being that old. This meant I might have received an S-trim rather than the Si the shop had told me I was getting.
I figured a quick Google search would tell me what to look for but I couldn't find anything definitive. I e-mailed Vortech with my serial number but haven't heard back yet. I have my doubts that they've kept records that old anyway.
I'm posting the bits of info I did manage to find over several hours of searching. All of this assumes you've done some homework and know you're looking at an S or Si trim. Hopefully others can add to or correct what I've found and we'll have a buyer's guide to used S and Si trims.Screenshot_20191221-165948_Chrome.jpg
This pic is the only one I could find of both blowers side by side. Unfortunately he S-trim is a V-1 and the Si is a V-2 so the pulley side doesn't help us. The only visual difference I see is removal of the "VORTECH" script from the volute. That makes sense since the Si-trim and Paxton Novi 1200 are twins so that would save them from making 2 different castings. Unfortunately I can't find any definite proof that all S-trims got the script and I don't know if any of this applies to units with the 90 degree discharge. I don't believe there were any V-1 Si-trim or V-3 S-trim units built so the only units in question are the V-2s.
Other info I found came from a couple of threads on Corvette forums.
Serial number 48614 was listed for sale described as an S-trim that had been sent back to Vortech for a rebuild and Si upgrade. The CARB EO number on that particular head unit is D-213-25. That document mentions the S-trim but not the Si so it seems very likely that any head unit with that CARB number was not originally built as an Si.
The second bit of info was from a thread where the owner of serial number 49057 mentioned they believed they had purchased an S-trim but contacted Vortech and was told it was an Si. The CARB EO number on that head unit is D-213-26. That document mentions both S and Si so any head unit with that EO number could be an Si-trim but it's not a sure thing. I assume some of these blowers left the factory without a CARB EO number so the above may not be helpful in every case.
I read several statements suggesting that S and Si production didn't overlap. If that's true (and we trust the info from the 'Vette forum) then any unit in question with a lower serial number than 48614 is an S-trim and higher than 49057 would be an Si. Anything in between would still be in question. Unfortunately, the head unit I recieved is one of those. It's serial number 48760 and has the D-213-26 CARB EO, leaving open the possibility it could be either one. It does have the blank volute.
That's all I could find. If I hear back from Vortech, I'll add any info I can get from them.

AHaze

Reaction score
Vortech wasn't answering e-mails so I called and got my answer. They weren't able to tell me what I had from my serial number but told me this machined notch around the inlet is on all Si-trim units and was not done on S-trims.
View media item 8428

Back