New to Mustangs

slidev8

Reaction score
Hello All,

I recently sold my E46 M3 and bought a 10' GT Vert that has shorty headers, underdrive pulleys, custom exhaust and tune. It feels ok for now. However, I'd like to add cams, procharge/supercharge it, add airbag suspension, and put a GT500 like body kit on it. With that said, due to my job being medical and COVID keeping me super busy, I don't have alot of time to research, so I'm wondering what the forum suggests for me... I've done some research and I want to know what people think about what I've found so far...

I'm thinking about Detroit Rocker Cams.

As for superchargers, I'm torn between the P1SC ($5k) and the Paxton NOVI 1200SL($3.2k). Which do you prefer and why?

As for air rides, I've only found this kit so far: tinyurl.com/hvg9r6mb

And for GT500 body kits, I'm strongly considering the Cervini Eleanor kit...

What do you all think about these options and if you had $12k to spend on upgrades (not including paint/bodywork), what would you do different??? Would you go Helion Turbo or pro/supercharger? Should I get coilovers instead (I'll never track this car b/c its a vert.) I just want a fast vert and liked the torque of the GT over the M4, plus I figured I could finally build a car rather than buying one.

I appreciate your input.

Forty61

forum member
Reaction score
I’d guess a lot of people are going to te you to sell the ‘10 and buy an ‘11+ for the Coyote motor.

I have no experience with any mods you’ve listed but I’m sure others will chime in. Personally I’d throw on a basic blower that doesn’t require internal motor mods, a good quality tune and a set of springs/shocks. Air ride or coil overs are overkill in my mind but I don’t know how you’ll use the car.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Sell it and buy a GT500

by the time you're done with parts, labor and aggravation you'll be close to the cost of a GT500

Aerofinz

Reaction score
Agree with both posts before me. Cams add little and can accelerate clutch wear especially in stop & go/city/parade driving (one of mine has cams, the older I get the more annoying they've become). Eleanor kit pricey and hasn't "worn" as well as other styling kits (GT500, Saleen, Roush, Shelby). Welcome to the forum!

Last edited:

Laga

Reaction score
I guess the other posts didn't see the part about wanting to build than buy. If the torque of the Mustang is important to you, look to see if you can get a positive displacement supercharger like the Edelbrock E-force. Instant torque and power. That cam will not do much for performance but will give the car a nice old school rumble. I have one on my 05 with the E-force. Do not use Brenspeed`s tune for it. It sucks. Also stay away from the air suspension. I think you can find better options for the money. If you like the body kit, I'd say go for it. It`s your car, make it like you want it. I have a Mach I hood for my car from Cervinis, good quality and fit. Welcome and good luck.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I saw it and chose to ignore it... having been down the exact road the OP is planning... buying is more cost effective, less aggravation and faster.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
But if you are a mod-a-holic, you will upgrade what you have, OR you upgrade the new ride you thought you would leave alone.

I personally like to mod my shit, to get exactly what I want the way I want it.

I have Cervini body parts on both of my stangs. Quality is pretty good IMO.
Suspension - Roush 427r is what Im running. You can get the whole kit, springs shocks, and sway bars. No complaints here and I DO track it.
Im a Vortec guy when it comes to centri blowers.

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
I’d guess a lot of people are going to te you to sell the ‘10 and buy an ‘11+ for the Coyote motor.

I have no experience with any mods you’ve listed but I’m sure others will chime in. Personally I’d throw on a basic blower that doesn’t require internal motor mods, a good quality tune and a set of springs/shocks. Air ride or coil overs are overkill in my mind but I don’t know how you’ll use the car.
Vorshlag claims 447 rwhp on their former 2011 coyote, with LT's, cai, and a tune. 450 rwhp is all ur gonna safely get with a 2010 + blower setup. A vert would not be my 1st choice, not after driving my local buddy's vert... it's like a floppy handling mess imo.

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
I upgraded mine because GT500's and good cars were still expensive.

For the 2010, I'd do boss 302 con rods https://www.tascaparts.com/oem-parts/ford-connecting-rod-cr3z6200b?c=Zz1lbmdpbmUmcz1lbmdpbmUmbD00OSZuPUFzc2VtYmxpZXMgUGFnZSZhPWZvcmQmbz1tdXN0YW5nJnk9MjAxMyZ0PWJvc3MtMzAyJmU9NS0wbC12OC1nYXM= balanced onto the stock pistons and rods (ask tasca for new piston pin clips, also,x16 F6AZ-6140-AA) all else stock including exhaust manifolds, add a nice cat back (FR500,) and call department of boost for a complete M122 blower setup. You will probably see 14 psi and around 580 hp. I did not adjust ring gap from factory spec but did add new rings on the factory bores, from mahle. Quite possible your stock rings are in perfect shape.

I don't know anything about air bags, you'll want to do that turn key from a reliable vendor. I don't even know if any actually non flaky piece of shit options exist. If you want to do coilovers, call eibach and see if they still offer their expensive, remote reservoir setup.

Last edited:

Laga

Reaction score
23A5115A-FD4D-452B-91F0-B65679B33DD0.jpeg Plus, when you go to car shows, you can display one of these in front of your friends who can’t.

07 Boss

Reaction score
You know I’ve seen a vert with the cervinis stalker kit and it looked pretty good. But you can’t go wrong with their Eleanor kit.

slidev8

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses!!! I'll spend some time reading up on it all... Stay tuned...

Last edited:

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
What do you all think about these options and if you had $12k to spend on upgrades (not including paint/bodywork), what would you do different???

I'd spend the $12k on trading up to a GT500 instead. Pouring that kind of money into upgrading a '10 GT would be like flushing money down the toilet. You'd certainly turn it into an awesome car but come resale time, you wouldn't recoup any of the money spent on mods.
If you're intent on keeping the car, I suggest you concentrate on stiffening the chassis and upgrading the suspension/brakes/tires to improve the overall driving experience. Some of the stock parts will show advanced wear anyway so upgrading them would be a no brainer.

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
By the time you rebuild the entire eng with forged pistons, rods, and crank, etc, etc, then replace the 3650 tranny with the 6060 tranny, then install a new blower, you may as well have just bought a GT-500 in the 1st place. Too many folks buy a GT, then spend megabucks slowly transforming it into the eq of a GT-500. At least with the 07-12 GT-500, the HD basics are already done...including brakes. If you want still more power, LT's and a 93 tune is one option. Loads of direct replacement PD blowers is another option...and you can sell the M-122 blower too, to offset costs.

Dunno what a 13-14 GT-500 goes for used. That might be another option. They come with the TVS-2300. VMP sells the high flow blower elbow for them.
(13/14 GT-500). VMP also sells the bigger 67 mm TB for any year GT-500... that used the smaller 60mm TB.

Last edited:

86GT351

forum member
Reaction score
Hello All,

I recently sold my E46 M3 and bought a 10' GT Vert that has shorty headers, underdrive pulleys, custom exhaust and tune. It feels ok for now. However, I'd like to add cams, procharge/supercharge it, add airbag suspension, and put a GT500 like body kit on it. With that said, due to my job being medical and COVID keeping me super busy, I don't have alot of time to research, so I'm wondering what the forum suggests for me... I've done some research and I want to know what people think about what I've found so far...

I'm thinking about Detroit Rocker Cams.

As for superchargers, I'm torn between the P1SC ($5k) and the Paxton NOVI 1200SL($3.2k). Which do you prefer and why?

As for air rides, I've only found this kit so far: tinyurl.com/hvg9r6mb

And for GT500 body kits, I'm strongly considering the Cervini Eleanor kit...

What do you all think about these options and if you had $12k to spend on upgrades (not including paint/bodywork), what would you do different??? Would you go Helion Turbo or pro/supercharger? Should I get coilovers instead (I'll never track this car b/c its a vert.) I just want a fast vert and liked the torque of the GT over the M4, plus I figured I could finally build a car rather than buying one.

I appreciate your input.
I like the fact that you have done your research first before posting. I did not see anything about mileage on the car. That should be a huge contributing factor. Based on mileage you don't have an engine listed as a mod on your list.

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
By the time you rebuild the entire eng with forged pistons, rods, and crank, etc, etc, then replace the 3650 tranny with the 6060 tranny, then install a new blower, you may as well have just bought a GT-500 in the 1st place. Too many folks buy a GT, then spend megabucks slowly transforming it into the eq of a GT-500. At least with the 07-12 GT-500, the HD basics are already done...including brakes. If you want still more power, LT's and a 93 tune is one option. Loads of direct replacement PD blowers is another option...and you can sell the M-122 blower too, to offset costs.

Dunno what a 13-14 GT-500 goes for used. That might be another option. They come with the TVS-2300. VMP sells the high flow blower elbow for them.
(13/14 GT-500). VMP also sells the bigger 67 mm TB for any year GT-500... that used the smaller 60mm TB.

75% of what is listed here is unnecessary. The 3650 is fine, people replace it because they don't know how to shim a slave cylinder and the fluid line between the clutch master and the piston on the bellhousing gets really, really hot under hard driving, so if you have old fluid your clutch action goes to hell. This and the requirement for NON SYNTHETIC dex 3 are the entirety of the problem with the 3650. The engine pistons and crank are fine. The brakes are fine, just get good pads. The headers are great.

I have incrementally upgraded my car and paid attention to others issues.

Shrek427R

Reaction score
75% of what is listed here is unnecessary. The 3650 is fine, people replace it because they don't know how to shim a slave cylinder and the fluid line between the clutch master and the piston on the bellhousing gets really, really hot under hard driving, so if you have old fluid your clutch action goes to hell. This and the requirement for NON SYNTHETIC dex 3 are the entirety of the problem with the 3650. The engine pistons and crank are fine. The brakes are fine, just get good pads. The headers are great.

I have incrementally upgraded my car and paid attention to others issues.
What trans fluid do you use in your 3650?

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back