Upgrade supercharger or go turbo

hockeygod

forum member
Reaction score
Just swapped my tial q base for a qr base to recirculate the air to the intake. I was getting tired of not being able to hear my exhaust over my bov. Going to pick up some 1.5 inch radiator hose and try to figure out a connection to my intake.

20181114_204027.jpg

20181114_204039.jpg

hockeygod

forum member
Reaction score
Just swapped my tial q base for a qr base to recirculate the air to the intake. I was getting tired of not being able to hear my exhaust over my bov. Going to pick up some 1.5 inch radiator hose and try to figure out a connection to my intake.

View attachment 68519

View attachment 68520

Finished setting up the bov to recirculate tonight. New 1.5" fitting I fabbed installed on the powerpipe intake.

20181117_214414.jpg

20181117_213459.jpg

20181117_213438.jpg

hockeygod

forum member
Reaction score
Be interested to see the final outcome, thanks for sharing
All set up to recirculate now. But I have an issue. Started it up and it's much quieter but also stalled out after running for 15-20 seconds and won't start again. Mind you it is 20 degrees outside. It is getting fuel. Maybe a vaccume leak at the bov??? If your looking at the picture I did add a hose clamp.

20181119_162138.jpg

hockeygod

forum member
Reaction score
I was correct had a vaccume leak at the bov banjo fitting. Fixed that and cranked the car with the pedal to the floor to clear it being flooded and it ran like a champ. I can actually hear both my exhaust and my supercharger over my bov now! The intake actually sounds really badass now too. Next up fixing my thermostat housing and cats for inspection. Can't get my tuner to respond to me so I may have to find someone for an emissions tune. Most people here seem to recommend Lito but I am not sure I have the time to dial in the data logging myself.

hockeygod

forum member
Reaction score
20181121_172441.jpg 20181121_174707.jpg 20181121_174710.jpg 20181121_174702.jpg Went to change the thermostat housing to one I modified the angle on the clear the belt and what do I find when I remove the intake manifold. A broken bolt for the manifold in the head, the supercharger setup with pulleys in the wrong spot " which is why it's rubbing on the belt. " .But even better one idler pulley mounted completely crooked and siezed which is why the power steering pump has been whining. I am beginning to believe that the only person I should trust to work on my car is me. Now I have to look up the supercharger install instructions and go through them.20181121_174707.jpg

20181121_174710.jpg

20181121_174702.jpg

Last edited:

Marble

forum member
Reaction score
I would tear it all down and start over. Not everything but the belts and pullies and such. Start fresh with known good parts. That stuff should not be too expensive to replace.

As far as the bolt, you have a kit to remove it? I have removed a few from mine over the years. Pretty inexpensive tool set to pick up.

hockeygod

forum member
Reaction score
I would tear it all down and start over. Not everything but the belts and pullies and such. Start fresh with known good parts. That stuff should not be too expensive to replace.

As far as the bolt, you have a kit to remove it? I have removed a few from mine over the years. Pretty inexpensive tool set to pick up.

Yes I will be able to take care of the bolt. I've done many for friends in the past . Once the weather cooperates I will remove the whole supercharger setup and reinstall everything with new parts from scratch. None of it is too hard except for paxton/vortech's wonky mounting system.

hockeygod

forum member
Reaction score
Ok so update! The pulleys are all straightened out. The thermostat houseinf house been welded and clocked to clear the blower pulley. I finished converting the Tial q to recirculate the air which dramatically quieted down the wooshing that I didn't want to hear and can again hear my exhaust and supercharger although the intake is a bit louder. Fixing the crooked frozen pulley fixed the stalling out at low rpms as well. I am attaching video of the engine plus my varex variable mufflers. The video doesn't do them justice. Sounds factory when closed and sounds deep and mean when open.

hockeygod

forum member
Reaction score
Glad to see everything is figured out! It might just motivate me to put my motor in and give it a whirl!
I am so glad the weather held up for at least 1 solid day. I swapped out the snapped off intake manifold bolt, reinstalled the pulleys, and converted the bov to recirculate back into the intake pre blower. Sounds so much better. Get your motor going!

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back