Used car tuned already?

GFD21029

Reaction score
Just bought a 2011 GT convertible California Special with 33,500 miles on it, and noticed it has a BBK CAI on it. Is there a way to figure out if it was tuned as well? I tend to think someone would tune it if they put the CAI on it, but you never know.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Well there is one thought, if u get a stock air box, replace the CAI, see if it runs the same and without issue

Sigma6

Reaction score
No, its this one....

https://www.americanmuscle.com/bbk-cai-2011gt.html

Thanks. I didnt think there was a way to find out, but figured I'd ask.

@stkjock is correct no tune, needed. I’ve had that Chrome BBK CAI in my stang. Looks good especially if you got a dress up kit too. I am assuming it’s stock otherwise?

Not a really good way to know it not know straightforward. You could get it reflashee back at a Ford dealership for peace of mind if you want to start clean otherwise I’d jump right into a tune and just straighten it out.

hope you’re enjoying the droptop.

RED09GT

Equal Opportunity Offender
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Only way I've heard of is with HP tuners. You need their gear and you can open the tune (if it isn't locked down) and compare it to a stock tune from their tune repository.

Iceman62

Bullitt 6005
Reaction score
OP; No way to really tell, unless you have contact w/ PO. Guess you can always buy your own tune/tuner & then you'll be 100% certain. ;) :D

Olerodder

Reaction score
I bought my old 14 GT/PPak with 2200 miles on the ground speed indicator from a Chevrolet dealer, the guy traded it on a 2014 Corvette. When I took it for a test drive I was impressed as it seemed faster than a couple other GT's I'd tested. It had an Airaid intake and I didn't think anything about it until I bought the car, opened the trunk and there was the SCT tuner.

2014 Mustang5.jpg

Trevor Koechig

Reaction score
I’ve run into a similar issue with a 14 mustang gt no CAI but the car has long tube header which obviously would require a tune and I was concerned whether or not the car was still tuned for it or not my father In law was lucky enough to have the hp tuners device and I was able to see minor things were altered from stock so I’d definitely recommend doing the same

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I’ve run into a similar issue with a 14 mustang gt no CAI but the car has long tube header which obviously would require a tune and I was concerned whether or not the car was still tuned for it or not my father In law was lucky enough to have the hp tuners device and I was able to see minor things were altered from stock so I’d definitely recommend doing the same
Long tube headers do not require a tune.

Trevor Koechig

Reaction score
I may not be the most knowledgeable but from everything I’ve seen it’s a dramatic change in exhaust flow and if you want the benefits of the long tube headers most would tune

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
I just put LTs on my "2013". The car ran perfect without a tune adjustment. The improved breathing was clearly obvious, fuel trims were +/-5% before, and went to +17% after. But well within the range of the pcm to compensate.
As a side note, you would think the increased airflow detected by the maf would compensate, but it is clear the pcm also uses the SD model along with the maf, not just maf alone to adjust fueling.

Trevor Koechig

Reaction score
Everything I’ve seen online states I’d be throwing check engine lights left and right and running lean like I said I’m not the most knowledgeable when it comes to this stuff but you’re saying that on the fly the ecu will just learn and adjust to the increased exhaust flow even at the extent of LTs ?

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
Everything I’ve seen online states I’d be throwing check engine lights left and right and running lean like I said I’m not the most knowledgeable when it comes to this stuff but you’re saying that on the fly the ecu will just learn and adjust to the increased exhaust flow even at the extent of LTs ?
Yes, the coyote pcm can adjust for LTs. As long as you have cats.
If the cats are deleted, then you have a tune to atleast turn off rear O2 sensors.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back