Utilizing stock XM antenna

Flapjack

Lunatic engine swapper
Reaction score
Does anyone know if there's a way to utilize the stock XM antenna when installing an aftermarket stereo?

I'm getting ready to install a Pioneer DMH-WT8600NEX in my 2019 GT and really would prefer not having to install the antenna that comes with the add-on XM tuner.

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
You would need a adapter from the factory antenna to the add on tuner. Most likely a fakra adapter.

Steve Burry

Reaction score
I had the same concern on a 2007 GT convertible with the factory XM antenna on the trunk lid. The XM receiver is located in the right rear fender. Took the trunk liner out, unmounted the receiver, and unplugged the antenna cable. There is a shell around the connector but it just snaps together. When unsnapped, it reveals a standard XM connector. Just buy an XM antenna extension cable from eBay to get it up to the radio. Works fine.

Flapjack

Lunatic engine swapper
Reaction score
Good information.

I have the piece that replaces the dash area around the factory radio (that also Integrates the HVAC controls). I was calling around shops in town yesterday and one of them said that kit comes with everything I need.

Flapjack

Lunatic engine swapper
Reaction score
In case anyone ever comes to this thread looking for the same thing, both regular and XM antennas were available behind the dash. I did not need an adapter, either (anyone need a fakra adapter? lol).

Both connectors are the newer, Fakra style connectors. The antenna with the blue connector is XM, the one with red connector is AM/FM. The Metra kit for the Mustang dash came with an adapter to go from the Fakra style to the motorola style antenna on the back of the Pioneer.

The only things I'm stuck on is the steering wheel controls, which don't seem to be working, and if the JBL subwoofer enclosure I ordered is going to work. I'm not sure if anything needs to be hooked up, other than the red/white RCA cables to the back of the Pioneer. I've read that even if the car didn't come with a factory sub, the amp is still there (somewhere).

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back