wal-mart product versus high dollar cleaners

Seer

forum member
Reaction score
Which pics do you see the oxidation on?

pic #2, look at how much it discolors at the hips, which is totally normal for a car that has never been polished for it's age.

Hell, even cars a few years old have it, if theyre not maintained properly or at least have some form of chemical protection on them.

Blank

forum member
Reaction score
well i'm in the same boat as you man. here is what i do i use megs gold class soap warm water two buckets. then mothers or megs claybar. then wash again. surf city sealant and then megs gold class carnuba and if im feeling froggy i'll do a megs hybrid wax. then regular washes weekly. when i wash my microfibers i dont use fabric softner and wash with warm or cold water. all my products are done by hand.

also i will use surf citys back to black dressing on the plastics and tire shine but i can remember what kind. i will post pics later. cant do it from work. seal the glass and wheels with surf city sealant. also i have claybarred the wheels but the claybar will be shot at that point. i used to do all this to my car monthly and the ex wifes black car as well. we always got compliments. the whole process takes about 6-8 hrs with breaks and interior.

Seer

forum member
Reaction score
You can also detail and polish a car in 8-10 hours and will look amazing. 95% ofthe finish is in the prep work. Waxing swirls won't look anywhere near as well as a clean prepped surface.

Ponyman

forum member
Reaction score
yea i noticed that the reflection of the sun wasnt clear in that pic. i have owned it for 3 years and have never polished it because i kept it in the garage and it never seen rain since i had it. i can buy a porter cable but i didnt really want to because like i said it stays in the garage and i didnt really know bout the da polishers. i have a variable speed buffer but i have no experience using it. i used it on my wifes van and it turned out ok but i wasnt about to touch the stang with it.lol
i get compiments on it but i want it to be like damn that thing looks new, clean.
thanks for all the info. keep it coming.

Seer

forum member
Reaction score
yea i noticed that the reflection of the sun wasnt clear in that pic. i have owned it for 3 years and have never polished it because i kept it in the garage and it never seen rain since i had it. i can buy a porter cable but i didnt really want to because like i said it stays in the garage and i didnt really know bout the da polishers. i have a variable speed buffer but i have no experience using it. i used it on my wifes van and it turned out ok but i wasnt about to touch the stang with it.lol
i get compiments on it but i want it to be like damn that thing looks new, clean.
thanks for all the info. keep it coming.

Swirls primarily come from washing and drying.

wku5

forum member
Reaction score
I am learning a lot from reading your posts on these topics Seer. Maybe you should come to KY and just detail the ride for me haha.

Seer

forum member
Reaction score
I am learning a lot from reading your posts on these topics Seer. Maybe you should come to KY and just detail the ride for me haha.

I havent traveled before on the weekends to detail. It is my side business.

wku5

forum member
Reaction score
I havent traveled before on the weekends to detail. It is my side business.

Not meaning to hijack the thread, but can you reccommend what i should put on a brand new car thats black? It doesnt have to be wal mart products but something thats not 150 bucks for 8 oz of it.

thanks

Seer

forum member
Reaction score
Not meaning to hijack the thread, but can you reccommend what i should put on a brand new car thats black? It doesnt have to be wal mart products but something thats not 150 bucks for 8 oz of it.

thanks

You said you're in Kentucky?

Go here:
http://www.autoality.com

Purchase Chemical Guys Black Light, it is a hybrid sealant/glaze so it will fill in some of your paint imperfections. Also purchase a product called Opti-Seal.

If you want to throw in a good wax in the mix to top your sealants, I can recommend those too, but typically black cars and carnauba waxes in your part of the country arent the best ideas unless you're just using it for car shows, due to how hot your body panels can get. Stick with a synthetic sealant.

wku5

forum member
Reaction score
You said you're in Kentucky?

Go here:
http://www.autoality.com

Purchase Chemical Guys Black Light, it is a hybrid sealant/glaze so it will fill in some of your paint imperfections. Also purchase a product called Opti-Seal.

If you want to throw in a good wax in the mix to top your sealants, I can recommend those too, but typically black cars and carnauba waxes in your part of the country arent the best ideas unless you're just using it for car shows, due to how hot your body panels can get. Stick with a synthetic sealant.

Yes in KY. And the body gets very hot in the summer months. So basically i need to use a synthetic sealant and forget using wax. The car has 500 miles on it and is a daily driver... no show car by any means.

Seer

forum member
Reaction score
Yes in KY. And the body gets very hot in the summer months. So basically i need to use a synthetic sealant and forget using wax. The car has 500 miles on it and is a daily driver... no show car by any means.

Stick with a sealant then, which honestly is what a lot of products really are these days. I'd buy Chemical Guys Black Light from autoality, then add Opti-Seal to your cart. Lay down two coats of Black Light, then once they cure over 24 hours and the car isn't dusty or hasnt been driven (if so rewash), then lay down a coat of Opti-Seal, it is a nice new product that is a wipe on, walk away spray sealant.

Since your car is black, your wash method will need to change too, as swirls and rids will show up more so on this color. I'd buy two 5 gallon buckets with grit guards in them, a good soap with good lubrcity, and a nice foam or wool wash mitt.

Use the first bucket to just hold your water/soap solution, second bucket is just water. Dip your mitt into the water only bucket after each panel to get the crud off of it before you go back in for more soap.

Only way to remove swirls is to invest in a polisher setup which can cost some $$$ or pay a detailer to perfect your surface.

A well protected surface will prevent more swirls from coming on to the paint though.

wku5

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks a ton. I am going to order those products within the next couple of days.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back