wal-mart product versus high dollar cleaners

Ponyman

forum member
Reaction score
ok this may be a dumb thread but i own a 07 gt with 35,xxx miles. i have had it since it had 23,xxx miles. been garage kept and only been washed by hand a few times. as a matter of fact i only have touch the car with a "rag" a few times. ok i want that show car shine but on a very limited budget. i dont have a buffer and dont want to spend hundreds of dollars on cleaners,waxes and polish to make it look like a new paint job. i really want that show car shine again. i know that keeping my "rags" off it will help. my car is red. and i dont want the swirl marks that you see when the light catches it right.
is this possible with meguires products? any suggestions?
thanks
i would post pics but i dont know how.lol

Seer

forum member
Reaction score
I want a lamborghini aventador but only have a mustang budget.

ok this may be a dumb thread but i own a 07 gt with 35,xxx miles. i have had it since it had 23,xxx miles. been garage kept and only been washed by hand a few times. as a matter of fact i only have touch the car with a "rag" a few times.
Define "rag"? Microfiber, cheap? Terry cloth? Cotton cloth? Shop rag?

Ponyman said:
ok i want that show car shine but on a very limited budget.

What kind of show car shine? Concours? 35 car church parking lot show? This can be obtained on certain budgets.

Ponyman said:
i dont have a buffer and dont want to spend hundreds of dollars on cleaners,waxes and polish to make it look like a new paint job. i really want that show car shine again. i know that keeping my "rags" off it will help. my car is red. and i dont want the swirl marks that you see when the light catches it right.
is this possible with meguires products? any suggestions?
thanks
i would post pics but i dont know how.lol

This isn't really possible as you cannot get rid of the "swirls" and "defects" without at least a DA Polisher. Sure you can fill the swirls in some but that is about it. The defects WILL come back after a few washes.

What you will get with you budget is what I call a 6ft car. It will look good from about 6ft away but when you get up on the car, you will start the see some of it's defects, especially in sunlight, no way around it.

You can find these products at walmart or pep boys.

Buy a decent car washing soap, and a clay bar kit. Wash the car, then clay the surface, then wash the car again. When you wash the car, be sure to use two buckets, one to hold the soap/water solution and the other to just hold water. You dip your wash mitt in the water bucket after you touch each panel before getting more soap. After that apply Meguiars #7 Show Car Glaze to the entire surface then wipe it off. Once you are done with that apply Meguiars #26 Wax or if you have it locally available to you Meguiars #21 Synthetic Sealant, then apply #26 on top of that.

Also make sure to wash your wheels with a seperate soap bucket.

If #26 and 21 are not available to you, they do sell Meguiars Ultimate Wax in stores. Do that after clay barring.

Last edited:

Ponyman

forum member
Reaction score
i use micor fiber clothes. i usually wash them before i use them. i want a magazine shine. when you look down the side you can re reflection of the ground. i use 2 buckets and pressure wash before washing. i have gold class wax, #2 and #9 and ultimate polish. will any of these work well or do i need to get new stuff?

Seer

forum member
Reaction score
then ya, you're not going to get that without a machine.

95% of a car's shine is how it is setup and polished.

Ponyman

forum member
Reaction score
i just read that alot of guys go through to get a showroom shine and was wondering if it could be done on a budget. i have a 6" ryobi orbital sander/buffer and a variable speed buffer.

yea i read this page all the time and envy the time and workmanship you guys put into getting that shine. i work 12 hours a day, 4 days on then 2 off and i dont want to spend whole day cleaning. but i guess if that is what i got to do then so be it. so what is the cheapest way to get this shine.

Last edited by a moderator:

Seer

forum member
Reaction score
i just read that alot of guys go through to get a showroom shine and was wondering if it could be done on a budget. i have a 6" ryobi orbital sander/buffer and a variable speed buffer.

the ryobi won't do anything.

You're going to need a device that is designed with detailing in mind, due to how it oscilates. It is a small up front investment, but the finish your car will get once completed is unreal.

Ponyman

forum member
Reaction score
IMG_6888.jpg

bullitt 736

Reaction score
Nice ride but 20 ft pics can be deceiving.

What did you use? What do YOU think?

Ponyman

forum member
Reaction score
there are 3 pics that are alot closer than 20 ft. i used #7,#26,#21. over 2 days all by hand. i like but when doing it by hand you see all the defects that you need a da for.lol

Seer

forum member
Reaction score
Looks good from far, but I can see the reflection on your defects in some of the pics. Buy a pc or a flex.

Edit I can also see some oxidation

Ponyman

forum member
Reaction score
well damn. torch i may be coming to see you. i thought it looked pretty good but i guess i dont have the eye.lol

forum member
Reaction score
Looks good from far, but I can see the reflection on your defects in some of the pics. Buy a pc or a flex.

Edit I can also see some oxidation
Which pics do you see the oxidation on?

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back