Water spots on your glass or chrome? Here's the stuff to correct it!!

Grabber5.sl0w

forum member
Reaction score
A friend of mine's Shelby GT has some nasty water spots and stains on the vinyl stripes, would this work on it even thought it's not a "painted" surface?

If not what would you guys suggest?

superslow86

forum member
Reaction score
I picked some of this up on Friday along with some clay lube and chemical guys citrus wash for when I detail. I detailed my dad's Lexus for fathers day and I was pissed when I couldn't get some nasty water marks out of his hood even with an orange pad, Wolfgang total swirl removed and my porter cable 7424. My thought is to go back and hit the hood with this stuff and see if it'll get them off. It comes in tomorrow so it'll be this weekend's project. My question to you guys is can I use my porter cable with this stuff at a low speed with an orange or yellow pad? Or should I stick to going it by hand to be safe?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds like the water spots are etched into the paint. Usually, water spots are nothing with an orange pad and a decent cut compound. What year Lexus? I detailed my brothers 95 Gt and it had some nasty water spot etching. I used an orange pad and some Menzerna compound and it just took a little more work then other areas. You may just need something with a little more cut, what compound/polish are you using? Check out how it rates on the compound chart at the top of the page.

Rasmus

forum member
Reaction score
I picked some of this up on Friday along with some clay lube and chemical guys citrus wash for when I detail. I detailed my dad's Lexus for fathers day and I was pissed when I couldn't get some nasty water marks out of his hood even with an orange pad, Wolfgang total swirl removed and my porter cable 7424. My thought is to go back and hit the hood with this stuff and see if it'll get them off. It comes in tomorrow so it'll be this weekend's project. My question to you guys is can I use my porter cable with this stuff at a low speed with an orange or yellow pad? Or should I stick to going it by hand to be safe?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm guessing the Lexus has what Mike here calls type 2 water spots:
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/29134-how-remove-water-spots-hand.html

Seer

forum member
Reaction score
It's acid based...not sure how strong but I would feel a bit iffy using it on paint

Theres absolutely no issues in using it on paint. It has a ph lesser agressive in aciditiy than vinegar, which is also commonly used to remove water spots.

HitandRunDriver

Amateur Goon
Reaction score
I figured it wasn't as bad as spraying some of their other acid based stuff on...just ruling on the safe side. Besides the rare issue of me parking in an unfamiliar spot and getting sprinkler water on my car, mine never gets the spots.

5.0H

forum member
Reaction score
Sounds like the water spots are etched into the paint. Usually, water spots are nothing with an orange pad and a decent cut compound. What year Lexus? I detailed my brothers 95 Gt and it had some nasty water spot etching. I used an orange pad and some Menzerna compound and it just took a little more work then other areas. You may just need something with a little more cut, what compound/polish are you using? Check out how it rates on the compound chart at the top of the page.

2001 lexus gs300. I used wolfgang total swirl remover with an orange pad. I might get something with more cut if the water spot remover doesn't do it.

I'm guessing the Lexus has what Mike here calls type 2 water spots:
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/29134-how-remove-water-spots-hand.html

yeah they look to be stage 2 spots. I'll give it a shot with the water spot remover and if that's not enough I may try distilled vinegar.

Rasmus

forum member
Reaction score
yeah they look to be stage 2 spots. I'll give it a shot with the water spot remover and if that's not enough I may try distilled vinegar.

If they are stage 2, you're going to have to break out the somewhat heavy abrasives. The clear will have cratered. I had a bunch in my trunk lid and hood from the previous owner, and it cost me a day of wet sanding.

VTXFrank

Obama SUCKS!
Reaction score
I would do it by hand. And, have a hot, soapy wash bucket right next you. As soon as the spots are out, wash that shit down and then use plenty of fresh water to rinse it all off.

I was given permission to use this stuff on a truck. It got the water spots off of it, but the etched little pits remained. I was able to smooth out the etches with M205 and 105 followed up by a good waxing. Just make damned sure the car is very cool to the touch and do small sections at a time. I worked roughly 12x18" sections. It was a PITA, but it worked.

Do an inconspicuous test area first though.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back