Watkins glen, Summit point main 2020 results

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
Had video issues, so no Glen videos. :( Did get lap data. Ran a wider tire and got to compare CAI (jlt2 tune required) vs stock airbox.
Airbox comparison: No noticable difference in power or lap times. The CAI is noticably louder, but that is about it.

Tires: I actually went a tic slower with a wider tire. I found that strange as the laps felt really good, I was driving my ass off and had a blast. Got to run about 350 track miles in ten 25 minute sessions. At Summit point main, I figured out why I was off last years pace.

This is what I have concluded from the lap data: The new tires were also taller by a considerable amount making the gearing taller. I lost laptimes due to the gearing. The slicks I ran my best laps are a little over 25" tall, 245 width. The new 285s are 26.7" tall. I had to completely change where I was shifting on track. Used 3rd a lot more at both tracks. I actually pulled a tic higher lateral Gs with the smaller tires, and used 4th more with them.

I was 2 seconds off my best lap at the Glen, and 1 second off at Summit.
Lesson learned, a bigger tire is not always better.
And I now know to stick closer to a 26" tire, that works best on my combo.
No plans to return to an event at this time.

Need to edit the Summit videos.

JJ427R

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing, look forward to Summit vids, interesting to hear on the tires. Kenny Brown recently shared he thinks a 285/35/18 is the perfect tire size for the S197 on all 4 corners on track. I'm guessing that depends on the brand and tire type as well? I run 275/35/20 on all 4 corners of my Roush and I've been pretty happy with those. I'd like to have 18's but not in the budget right now. I don't run slicks either though as I drive my car to the track.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
285/35/18 seems to fall inline with my findings.
But its more than just the size. Gearing and HP also come into play. But I suspected that, and proved it to myself.
This comparo was between 245/40/18 vs 285/35/19. I should post pics of them side-by-side.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back