Wear on very inside of front tires

ghunt81

New parts on old junk!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
What causes this? I bought new tires and was pulling the wheels off today to drop them off and have the new tires mounted. I noticed the inside edge of the front tires was rounded off as you can (kinda) see in the pic below (right side is inside tread). They looked pretty evenly worn other than that.

I put BMR 1.5" springs on the car a couple years ago, along with Koni STR.T shocks/struts and new strut mounts (they were supposed to be GT500 mounts but they might just be new OEM). I was told I did not need camber bolts so I don't have them. I had the car aligned after I did all the suspension work. What do I need to fix?

tire.jpg

JJ427R

Reaction score
Believe it's alignment, it is toe out. Had similar on my car last summer and that was my issue. I'd have alignment checked again.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Having the car aligned for best handling will result in a very slight additional wear on the inside edge like that. I believe it's from being slightly toe-in which helps make the car track straighter. Without any toe-in at all your car would tend to wander all over the road. This is why it is recommended to rotate the tires every 5000 miles or so to minimize this additional wear on the inside edge. But absolutely nothing to worry about, completely normal.

nawagner

forum member
Reaction score
As mentioned, it's due to toe. That looks pretty normal (unless there is only 100 miles on the tires) and camber is not the cause of most inside tire wear. Have them check the alignment specs after the tire mounting. Not much you can do about camber. Make sure the toe is in spec.

ghunt81

New parts on old junk!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I will get an alignment done, just wasn't sure if that kind of wear might be due to something else also. Had something similar happen on my wife's explorer, granted we didn't keep up with rotation like we should have (since she drives it every day and I don't) but the inside row of tread on both front tires was worn bald while the rest of the tire had decent tread still. TBH I can't remember when (or if) I rotated these tires, but they've only been on the car 2 years.

Side note, these are OE Pirelli P-Zeroes that they put on the 2015+ GT and I have not been impressed with the wear. Bought them with good tread (supposedly only with 1000 miles on them), I've put probably less than 10K on them . 2 are down to about 3/32 tread, the one shown above has a little more and one has just under half tread.

Dave1977

Reaction score
Inboard wear like that would be to out. Outside wear would be too in wear. Regardless it's an alignment issue.

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
Set the Toe to zero. Then dial in some negative camber. Then it will handle real good, and you won't have any wear on the inside .....or outside. I used the max neg camber I can get with my Steeda HD strut mounts... like aprx 1.8 deg. I have a Steeda STB brace,so that limits the max negative camber I can use.

46addict

Reaction score
So is the general consensus zero-toe or slight toe-in? My alignment shop lets me give them custom specs and I will tell them 1/16" toe-in (.06*?) if it makes sense to do this. Car is set up for going straight but I may be getting out of that game.

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
Right now, mine is set for a slight toe out. Zero wear on front tires. If I had to do it again, I would set the toe to zero..and call it a day.

Back