Welding axle tubes, all the info?

justinsstang

forum member
Reaction score
wujmet.jpg

After reading through about 18 pages of the "Please weld your axle tubes..." thread, I just really wanted a single, condensed version of the steps to complete it correctly. I read some posts about heating it up, then doing the weld, then wrapping to cool slowly etc... Is that the gist of it? Any way to make it clearer on what to ask for?

Looking at the pic it looks simple enough, and I bet if I took it to Midas here in town (I've been there several times for exhaust welds etc.) that they'd be able to knock it out quickly... but I'm just not sure if they would have the experience needed to do it "right" with the heating up and cooling down slowly or whatever unless I came in and explained the steps to them. I just don't want corners cut because I don't want my 40k car to end up in a wall at the track.

So can someone explain the exact steps needed to properly weld the axle tubes, so that I can explain the steps to the welder?

black2008gt

GT500 NOOB
Reaction score
yes take it to Midas....and after that let Walmart change your oil. You have a 30K car, why would you skimp out and not take it to a professional who has previously welded axle tubes.
I wouldn't risk my investment.

justinsstang

forum member
Reaction score
All I'm saying is I had them weld the exhaust on my 3v before I traded in, the welds looked pretty good. Also, my tips on my pypes catback on my 14 stuck out too far for my liking so I had them cut and weld it to move the tip back another inch or so. Weld looked good again. Same guy both times... I think they'd be just fine if I knew exactly what to tell them to do lol.

I don't have any good shops around my area. Midas is the only one I have experience with, so I was going to ask them first.

Also my car retails at $38.6k, I like to think of it as a 40k car :thumb:

Last edited:

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
Thin exhaust piping =\= a thick rear axle

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
My axle with stock HP was not true when I had it welded/braced. They corrected that issue. 4x4 shops often have the right equipment to check true with guys messing up axles.

PICT0018_zpsf2d4e667.jpg

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
Anybody can throw a bead on metal, with axle tubes I'd think there is a little more involved like stated above.

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
May as well have the cheapest place possible do it, the welds can't do much. I wouldn't get huge worms laid all around, either, more chance of pulling the housing out of alignment.

black2008gt

GT500 NOOB
Reaction score
All I'm saying is I had them weld the exhaust on my 3v before I traded in, the welds looked pretty good. Also, my tips on my pypes catback on my 14 stuck out too far for my liking so I had them cut and weld it to move the tip back another inch or so. Weld looked good again. Same guy both times... I think they'd be just fine if I knew exactly what to tell them to do lol.

I don't have any good shops around my area. Midas is the only one I have experience with, so I was going to ask them first.

Also my car retails at $38.6k, I like to think of it as a 40k car :thumb:

Your car is worth what someone would payfor it. Its what you can get for it at this point in time. :thumb: Seriously though i wouldnt screw around try and find a reputible shop or even travel to have it done. It will save you in long run if they fuck it up.

AlbertD

forum member
Reaction score
Thank you for posting this. This is on my to-do list to prep the car for some hard launches at the track and now it looks like I may go with the drill-tap-bolt method. Good read.

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
Someone was showing us what they did with the bolt thing, it was pretty sweet.
Can't find the thread.

Blxcklist

Hi Im Justin
Reaction score
Is it cast? With pipe typically youll want to "quarter" it when you weld it to help keep it as true as possible.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back