What are the options for retaining a/c and power windows without Ford ECU

Ryan D

Reaction score
If you moved to an aftermarket ECU, could you keep your a/c controls and power windows? Is it possible to leave the factory ECU and just disconnect all engine wiring connections to it? Would run a Holley EFI system and Holley dash, so not concerned with gauges or anything of that nature. Just trying to plan well ahead of spending any money on heading this direction for a drag n drive project.

Forty61

forum member
Reaction score
Also curious what you’re planning.. I’d guess you could just unplug and hide the engine wiring harness since you won’t see the dash or any of the warning lights..

Yeticat99

Reaction score
If you moved to an aftermarket ECU, could you keep your a/c controls and power windows? Is it possible to leave the factory ECU and just disconnect all engine wiring connections to it? Would run a Holley EFI system and Holley dash, so not concerned with gauges or anything of that nature. Just trying to plan well ahead of spending any money on heading this direction for a drag n drive project.

I've got my 08 4.0 V6 running with an Eaton M90 supercharger on a Megasquirt ECU. I did leave the factory ECU in place. I switched out the factory drive-by-wire throttle for a cable-operated throttle, switched the fuel system to return style (mech. fuel pressure regulator rather than factory PWM). Power windows work 100% as original. I retained A/C but megasquirt controls the compressor. Gauges all work as well.

Why would I build such a thing? Because Roadkill. :D

Ryan D

Reaction score
I've got my 08 4.0 V6 running with an Eaton M90 supercharger on a Megasquirt ECU. I did leave the factory ECU in place. I switched out the factory drive-by-wire throttle for a cable-operated throttle, switched the fuel system to return style (mech. fuel pressure regulator rather than factory PWM). Power windows work 100% as original. I retained A/C but megasquirt controls the compressor. Gauges all work as well.

Why would I build such a thing? Because Roadkill. :D

Exactly! Thanks for the response, sounds like I can do just want I’m looking to do then. I appreciate the reply!

Ryan D

Reaction score
I blame you all for pushing me into the bashing I'm about to take... Yeah, motor is high mileage and tired, and high horsepower (with longevity) is not worth the expense to me on the 4.6. Going to a turbocharged 5.3 LS forged setup with some street manners with ability to push to 4 digits for drag n drive strip passes.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back