Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Vorshlag/Bilstein

Votes: 7 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
I'm not saying the Steeda springs caused my koni's to blow out.
I am saying that your springs were at least a contributing factor if not actually the root mechanical cause, as virtually all springs sold as "lowering springs" aren't made enough stiffer to fully compensate for the lost bump travel. It does seem to be consensus around here (with some basis) that Koni yellows don't tolerate being used as supplemental bump stops. I repeat "root mechanical cause" because continuing to drive in a manner and in an environment that causes unusually rapid parts degradation is all on the driver.

Pothole capability sounds like it's at least partly a problem in energy absorption, which for a spring is linear with respect to spring rate and a 'squared' function of the amount of additional spring compression. If anything, the higher than OE spring rate would be slowing down the compression-side velocity of the shock piston slightly and actually helping the damper survive if the concern involves fluid pressure rise.

I can agree that JRIs may well be the best for competition - by the accounts of those you reference they're at least top shelf and I have no problem with that. I did, however, read in one of those links that the individual specifically noted having no experience in a street car despite knowing how well they were doing in wheel-to-wheel racing.

You're trying to convince people that JRI's are a whole order of magnitude better than anything else, period - at least that's the way it reads from here.

Ron only said 25% better, apparently by some 7-post measure, which still doesn't easily correlate with how much better they drive in comparison to the other C/O makes. Being any amount better is something you chase in W2W racing and possibly time trialing where tire contingencies are at stake, maybe you don't for HPDE where bang for the buck starts becoming more of an influence.

Norm

Last edited:

Stephen31201

forum member
Reaction score
^^^^^^^ ditto. Best recommendation I can give is to simply state that anything you state is just your opinion. To quote someone else, is simply farting in the wind, even if its Dean Ward saying that a certain C/O is better. No matter what you say, there will always be debate, but at least you know first hand experience that its fact for you. Just like when I state that my IAT's dropped when I switched to E85... Don't know how, why nor can I back it up except with my word and don't give 2 shiz's if anyone believes it because had I not seen it I would discredit it because on paper it makes no sense. This C/O debate IMO is a borderline waste of time because the amount of difference between the 2 or 3 top notch CO's can be overcome in the difference between drivers, car, setups, running stickers or not, whether your ass gained 10lbs over Christmas and threw off the corner balance, 1/2 lb of tire pressure variance, etc etc etc. And everything I said here is JUST MY OPINION LOL. I am glad you brought up the JRI's because I had not looked at them yet. Just go out there on the track and bust everyone's ass with them and let them wonder how you are doing it.

barbaro

forum member
Reaction score
The OP in this case asked for the best shock for competition and some street driving. He specifically stated he did not care whether he had to rebuild the shocks periodically. So the answer to that specific inquiry is JRI. Is one going to lower his lap times 25%? of course not but the shock apparently has a 25% advantage dealing with high frequency inputs according to testing. What that means in real life was explained by Sutton. I disagree that the difference between the top coilovers is as insubstantial as an extra 10 lbs on a driver's ass. I think there is a big difference between the JRIs and the other coilovers suggested to the OP. Coilovers and tires have the most dramatic effect on handling. Upgrades in this department cannot be underestimated.

I do not reference just one authority but several. And if anyone reall\ly cares to look into this subject, based on hearsay, which is all we usually ever have to go on, I think it would be hard not to come to the same conclusion. Based on my personal experience with JRIs, I am not qualified to give an opinion, because I have not driven or tested all the different coilovers out there but I can say that they are the best shocks I have ever had by far. But the testing has apparantly been done, and the results are in and we see the increasing prevalence of these shocks in all kinds of racing and especially in pro-touring. A big problem also is because most of the Cortex Mustang setups are on the West Coast, You in the rest of the country are not getting an opportunity to see and compete against these setups. If you did, I suspect there may be more acceptance.

Last edited:

Vorshlag-Fair

Official Site Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
...the (JRI) shock apparently has a 25% advantage dealing with high frequency inputs according to testing....
Wait, what? What on earth are you talking about? Suspension frequency? Good grief, it this a Miata forum now?

I disagree that the difference between the top coilovers is as insubstantial as an extra 10 lbs on a driver's ass. I think there is a big difference between the JRIs and the other coilovers suggested to the OP.
Where do you get this insight? From listening to one vendor or from actually seeing this difference first hand in personal testing?

Coilovers and tires have the most dramatic effect on handling. Upgrades in this department cannot be underestimated.
I will agree with you here, because dampers matter a lot. Monotube is important (and JRI uses monotubes) because they can damp proper spring rates. And spring rates matter a LOT lot, and you cannot run a lot of rate (ie: lowering springs are never firm enough and are not for serious use) on an OEM style shock of any type.

life-too-short-M.jpg

I do not reference just one authority but several.
Please list these "authorities".

2011 Mustang GT 5.0 Kona Blue Brembo, 522 rwhp N/A, Boss intake, Kooks headers, Comp stage Two cams, Fully forged internals, Boss clutch, Boss Valve Springs, Boss Oil Pan, Max Motors Caster Camber Plates, Maximum Motors K member, Steeda engine mounts Steeda Bumpsteer kit, Strano adjustable 35 mm Front swaybar, Cortex/JRI Single adjustable Coilovers, Cortex Watts Link , Cortex Torque arm, Cortex Rear Adjustable Lower Control Arms.
Jesus, that's a lot of mods! Torque arms and bumpsteer kits and a built motor, oh my. What racing have you done in this car, Barbaro? I mean, you have more mods than I've seen on just about any S197 race car we've ever built, so its gotta be fast on some road course?

Look, I'm not trying to poke fun here but just "doing a lot of mods" does not make anyone an authority on suspension designs or damper quality. Spending money is easy. Winning races is hard.

And if anyone reall\ly cares to look into this subject, based on hearsay, which is all we usually ever have to go on, I think it would be hard not to come to the same conclusion. Based on my personal experience with JRIs, I am not qualified to give an opinion, because I have not driven or tested all the different coilovers out there but I can say that they are the best shocks I have ever had by far. But the testing has apparantly been done, and the results are in and we see the increasing prevalence of these shocks in all kinds of racing and especially in pro-touring. A big problem also is because most of the Cortex Mustang setups are on the West Coast, You in the rest of the country are not getting an opportunity to see and compete against these setups. If you did, I suspect there may be more acceptance.
Wait, the prevalence of a brand in Pro Touring actually means something now? Come on, I love Pro Touring guys and we're actually building one of these cars, but that "scene" is the opposite of the pinnacle in motorsports. The shit I've seen used for shocks on a lot of Pro-Touring cars is downright frightening. Sorry, this is not a good indicator at all.

11039838_1030750600291159_3480410928535034911_n-M.jpg

Your personal experience with one brand aside, there are good indicators of who is making the best shocks right now: Pro racing. Wanna guess who seems to be sweeping the podiums in IMSA racing and other series lately? MCS.

11822738_1039224476110438_6898459205343521695_n-M.jpg

What brand was picked for S197s in NASA's Spec Iron series? MCS (see also NASA SpecE46)

10986840_1042218325811053_3675076805563085481_o-M.jpg

What brand was chosen for the Elan NP01 prototype series? MCS.

P7A_7020-M.jpg

Now our little car was far from Pro racing, but we never lost a single NASA race in 3 years on MCS dampers. We've sold hundreds of sets MCS coilovers to all manner of racers, and the trend we are seeing after selling thousands of sets of monotube shock sets over the past decade is this - new MCS buyers are usually going from doing OK to winning after they switch.

12002285_1059845377381681_1131117041414181347_n-M.jpg

2015 GTS4 Champion, Randy Mueller, No. 0 BMW M3. MCS
2015 GTS3 Champion, Hugh Stewart, No. 122 BMW M3.
MCS
2015 GTS2 Champion, Zach Hillman, No. 158 Porsche 944
. MCS

Winning matters, at all levels, on all coasts, and right down through the middle.

Just my two cents. :)

Last edited:

kcbrown

forum member
Reaction score
Wait, the prevalence of a brand in Pro Touring actually means something now? Come on, I love Pro Touring guys and we're actually building one of these cars, but that "scene" is the opposite of the pinnacle in motorsports. The shit I've seen used for shocks on a lot of Pro-Touring cars is downright frightening. Sorry, this is not a good indicator at all.

It's not? If the crap dampers you've seen in Pro Touring matter, then those people driving on them should be losing, right?

Barbaro's claim seems to be that the guys in that class who are driving on JRIs are winning more than the guys driving on any other damper. I presume he means that they're winning even against guys driving on MCS dampers and other high quality dampers as well as the crap dampers.

What brand was picked for S197s in NASA's Spec Iron series? MCS (see also NASA SpecE46)
I noticed this. But I don't see how that makes any difference. Why? Because it's the spec for the entire class. Is maximum performance the criteria for that? Why would it be, when it's the entire class that gets it, and therefore the entire field is equal in that respect, thus making the performance factor irrelevant?

Durability, cost, tuning range, etc., all make sense as criteria for dampers specified to be used in an entire class. But I fail to see how performance matters for that whatsoever, when the entire class is going to be at the same level of performance precisely because the dampers are specified by the class. As long as the performance of the damper is adequate so as to not cause people to leave the class, that is.

Winning matters, at all levels, on all coasts, and right down through the middle.
Yes, indeed, it does (well, to those that care about such things, anyway :biggrin: ). But as dampers go, the only classes that matter for that determination are those that allow the team to use whatever dampers they wish. None of the classes you called out qualify in that regard, and that makes them irrelevant to this discussion.

But the experiences of the people who buy MCS dampers and use them in classes that do not mandate them do matter. The question is: did those same people try JRI dampers as well? Penske? Ohlins? What dampers were they on prior to going to MCS? And was that the only thing that changed, or did they change other things as well, such as spring rates?

I'm still waiting for someone to publish their back to back (preferably double-blind) testing of a car with JRI, MCS, and whatever else might be in the running, all under the same conditions (spring rates, track, weather, unbiased driver(s), etc.), and all after tuning the dampers to be optimal. I expect I'm going to be waiting for a very long time.

Last edited:

ArizonaGT

Road Course Member
Reaction score
I'm still waiting for someone to publish their back to back (preferably double-blind) testing of a car with JRI, MCS, and whatever else might be in the running, all under the same conditions (spring rates, track, weather, unbiased driver(s), etc.), and all after tuning the dampers to be optimal. I expect I'm going to be waiting for a very long time.

That would be great but will never happen due to expense. Opening one's wallet for dampers can be a very uncertain time when presented with a host of quality options. That being said, I'm very happy with my decision to go MCS.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
Not all Pro Touring cars are at all competitive, nor are their drivers. Bet if you looked hard enough you could find a car with some claim to being at least nominally a P-T car that's running on Monroe SensaTraks.

Cars more like this ↓↓↓ , with more tire up front and even more tire out back, minus the Bilsteins and another tweak or two like the -2.7° static camber . . .

attachment.php

Norm

Vorshlag-Fair

Official Site Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
It's not? If the crap dampers you've seen in Pro Touring matter, then those people driving on them should be losing, right?

Barbaro's claim seems to be that the guys in that class who are driving on JRIs are winning more than the guys driving on any other damper. I presume he means that they're winning even against guys driving on MCS dampers and other high quality dampers as well as the crap dampers.
Look, I was noting that "Pro Touring" cars are probably the least relevant group to look at for top damper development. Most of these cars are still based on 1960s suspension tech, with some portion of those entrants having upgraded front clips, and fewer still with updated rear suspensions. There is also a LOT of free stuff given away in this series as sponsorship, which tends to buy some brand loyalty. Its smart marketing, that. This crowd seems to have more of a "lemming effect" than most: if one guy runs Brand X and is fast then 1,000 other guys with similar cars copy that, without question, without looking elsewhere. Its just what happens here.

I don't know the prevalence of JRI winning in this series as a percentage basis. I've heard of other brands used more commonly than theirs, actually. But what I'm saying is this Pro Touring movement is probably not the bets place to look for performance shock competition results. I've had some moderate success competing against many of the top cars at Goodguys and Optima events. I know these racers, the shop owners, and consider many friends of mine. Yet I am still saying that there is some room for improvement on a large percentage of the Pro Touring crowd's suspension selection and setup advice. The top 2% of these series are serious but there are a lot of folks "just there for the fun", so looking at these series for trendsetting is dubious.

_DSF2888-M.jpg

Do you know something more about Pro Touring competition that makes it the one to look at for shocks? Barbaro seems to be just repeating what someone else told him, and you are just here backing up what he said... so that's 3rd hand information. I just try to caution people to look at their sources when basing costly, crucial purchases like monotube coilovers for their competition car. Do your home work.

Time Attack groups in the USA have rampant sponsorship agreements and free parts given to top teams so its also not a great place to look for shock trends. Drifting... I won't even go there, but also rampant sponsorship deals and no real direct competition (this is a judged sport). SCCA Solo is difficult to look at because the driver's tend to be so cheap! Its said in jest, but its still mostly true. :) Pro Racing and NASA/SCCA wheel to wheel are better sources for shock use data and wins.

I noticed this (MCS picked for Spec Iron). But I don't see how that makes any difference. Why? Because it's the spec for the entire class. Is maximum performance the criteria for that? Why would it be, when it's the entire class that gets it, and therefore the entire field is equal in that respect, thus making the performance factor irrelevant?
Again, respectfully, it appears you have no depth of this situation either. I was personally involved with the decision makers who picked this shock for Spec Iron's new spec suspension. Vorshlag actually made two bids for this new series spec last year, both monotubes, including the MCS suggestion they went with.

i-Q4NPw9v-M.jpg

They actually DID care about performance when they chose the MCS shock entry for the Spec Iron series. Why? Because the outgoing spec was still legal and pretty good stuff - and ironically, it was based on the JRI front strut. The rules makers for Spec Iron were driven to have the new spec not be slower than the old HVT/JRI spec shocks.

i-8dLB8VL-M.jpg

So instead of the lower cost/reliable/monotube offering we suggested, they went with the MCS setup (a higher cost option), to ensure competitiveness against the old spec. The old spec HVT/JRI shock is still legal, but some number of Spec Iron racers have moved to the newer MCS option - because they feel it will be faster. This spec just changed late last year so we won't know how they stack up head-to-head for a few months. But I'm pretty sure many more will move to the MCS in 2016. We're selling to these guys directly, so I'm seeing the trends and talking to these guys first hand.

Durability, cost, tuning range, etc., all make sense as criteria for dampers specified to be used in an entire class. But I fail to see how performance matters for that whatsoever, when the entire class is going to be at the same level of performance precisely because the dampers are specified by the class. As long as the performance of the damper is adequate so as to not cause people to leave the class, that is.
Again, when there is ever an "old" spec replaced by a "new" spec, there will be racers that still have that old setup and don't want to change, mostly for cost reasons. I've talked to dozens of folks already "Damn it, I paid for the old spec shocks and I shouldn't have to buy the new spec!" Can't blame them.

To fix this particular situation, rules makers for these series tend to "grandfather in" those old spec parts for a number of years. So the new "spec" shock had to be as good or better, otherwise new builds for this class would be at a disadvantage, because the company who made the old spec in this case can no longer supply racers with the outgoing spec shock. So again, respectfully, sometimes there's more to a situation than you realize. :)

Yes, indeed, it ("winning matters") does (well, to those that care about such things, anyway :biggrin: ). But as dampers go, the only classes that matter for that determination are those that allow the team to use whatever dampers they wish. None of the classes you called out qualify in that regard, and that makes them irrelevant to this discussion.
What? Man.... I.... I'm wondering how you can be this adamant about something yet still this wrong on so many things? What series are you thinking of? Again, this mythical one spec series (Spec Iron) has two legal shock specs - the old (HVT/JRI) and the new (MCS).

11039838_1030750600291159_3480410928535034911_n-M.jpg

But the images in my previous post, of NASA GTS and IMSA Pro Racing winners on MCS dampers I showed, all race in series have OPEN shock specs. They can use whatever brand they want. All of the big boys in the shock world play in these series, and there hasn't been a spec shock in the top US pro racing series in several years. Again, something I had a part of... we repaired many of the GRAND AM spec strut housings when they had a spec shock.

GRAND AM used to have spec shocks for various classes, at one time it was Koni (and called the Koni Challenge), then it became AST (yet the outgoing Koni spec shocks were still legal for a number of years). But that experiment didn't work to well for the racers there (long LONG story) and GA officials ended the "spec shock" requirement in the last years before this series merged with IMSA.

mini-bspec-vomo.jpg

Spec series are done differently, of course. We've dealt with a lot of rules makers for spec series in the past where our camber plates have become the spec in a some semi-pro and pro series. When racers are involved we usually win the spec. When politics is involved, we usually don't. :whistle1:

But the experiences of the people who buy MCS dampers and use them in classes that do not mandate them do matter. The question is: did those same people try JRI dampers as well? Penske? Ohlins? What dampers were they on prior to going to MCS? And was that the only thing that changed, or did they change other things as well, such as spring rates?
These racers I mentioned above (IMSA series, NASA GTS category, etc) can choose between Moton, MCS, JRZ, Penske, Ohlins and others - even JRI. And they are some of the few folks that can afford to test the various brands and models as you alluded to. So what is winning the most this past season? MCS.

You might as well ask for a Unicorn for Christmas from Santa. :) Pro teams don't publish their testing results like this. That would be competitive suicide. And shops that sell dampers (like mine) don't have a good reason to post "negative reviews" of some brands like you want, either. It makes those shops look like "the bad guy" when they trash talk other brands. I try really hard not to do that, but I'm not perfect.

12244539_1097557110277174_3171538695364882573_o-M.jpg

Instead, Pro Teams race on what they find to be the best (either through direct testing or long term experience with other brands) and shops that sell dampers use/sell what they prefer from their own testing and long term experience. Sometimes there might be sponsorship involved in certain shock brands at the Pro level, but not with MCS from what I've heard. Racers pay to play with this brand.

Not everything is as black and white as some might want it to be, and many lessons are learned the hard way over long periods of time. Not everyone is willing to give away their experience for free, with perfect test data all wrapped up in a bow. This head-to-head testing you dream of is EXPENSIVE and its very hard to find a 100% impartial team/shop/driver to give that. When there is a Consumer Reports for high end suspensions, please let me know because I'd like to send them the best camber plates to test, ha! :)

I wanted to also point out that not once here have I said something negative about JRI here. I think they actually make good dampers, we have worked with these directly, and I've met the key players at their company before. Monotubes, some inverted struts, and the principle came from Penske. I don't agree with some aspects used on the Cortex/JRI coilover kit, but its minor stuff compare to a lot of the crap I've seen sold for this S197 chassis. Vorshlag and even built some housings for the first HVT/JRI struts inserts used in Spec Iron. The HVT/JRI struts were actually pretty nice pieces, but the supplier had delivery/time problems that hurt the series pretty badly (so much so that the National Championship was cancelled in 2013 - at Miller Motorsports Park, where I was racing that year, and I spoke at length to the series director about it) and eventually the supplier went away. I know a lot more about this situation than I care to share and I probably said too much as it is. Oh well.

i-pJB7tgK.jpg

I just wanted dispute some of the unfounded, much repeated claims that Barbaro kept making, over and over and over, almost like a broken record. It sounds from his own words that has only ever had ONE good set of monotube dampers (and frankly this can be a big change from twin tube offerings, once you experience real shocks!) and he's going to sing their praises. Good for him, but I take it form his posts that he also has no direct experience with other quality monotube dampers. He just repeats what someone else told him (these "authorities"). Also, I suspect he has no racing background on his car to fall back on as evidence of their exceptionalism. Again, that's not saying he cannot and should not speak up about JRI dampers, just that his limited experience doesn't make him the expert on all monotube brands.

Not every opinion should have the same weight. That's what we all do here on these forums - try to convince others we are "more right" than they are, heh. :) I personally have sold or installed thousands of sets of monotube coilovers over the past 12+ years. All of the brands, used on all types of cars, most of which I've driven before and after. I've also seen long term trends with reliability, serviceability, dyno testing, installation issues, quality, and factory support from each.

B61G1934_B-M.jpg

And no, I don't share all of what I've learned publicly. MCS, Bilstein, AST, and Moton are the key monotube dampers we carry, but we've installed or worked on monotubes by Penske, JRZ, Ohlins, WP, JRI, KW, Koni, lots of brands you never heard of, all sorts of twin tubes, and all sorts of Chinese built monotube brands that go by a variety of names. We sell what we sell for good reasons - I'll leave it at that. :)

Look, I don't mean to come off as a prick here. But when I see folks .... talking out of their depth I feel like I need to step in and fill in the gaps, if I can. I hope this helps and doesn't piss off Barbaro and kcbrown.

Thanks,

Last edited:

kcbrown

forum member
Reaction score
Just wanted to start off by thanking you for the excellent reply. This is good stuff here.

Look, I was noting that "Pro Touring" cars are probably the least relevant group to look at for top damper development. Most of these cars are still based on 1960s suspension tech, with some portion of those having upgraded front clips, and some with updated rear suspensions. There is also a LOT of free stuff given away in this series as sponsorship, which tends to buy some brand loyalty. Its smart marketing, that. This crowd seems to have more of a "lemming effect" than most: if one guy runs Brand X and is fast then 1,000 other guys with similar cars copy that, without question, without looking elsewhere. Its just what happens here.

That may be, but wouldn't that result in the best damper "floating" to the top? At the end, all that really matters is who wins and what they're running, right? It may be that the winners are, e.g., running something that is the result of sponsorship, but if it's the fastest guys that are copied, wouldn't the natural result over time be that the fastest setups end up being adopted by the crowd? It only takes a few people to break from the mold and run something faster than what the crowd is running, after all, at which point the crowd will adopt that. Lather, rinse, repeat, and you can see what would happen over time.

I don't know the prevalence of JRI winning in this series as a percentage basis. I've heard of other brands used more commonly than theirs, actually. But what I'm saying is this is not a great place to look for performance shock competition results. I've had some moderate success competing against many of the top cars at Goodguys and Optima events. I know these racers, the shop owners, and consider many friends of mine. Yet I am still saying that there is some room for improvement on a large percentage of the Pro Touring crowd's suspension selection and setup advice. The top 2% of these series are serious but there are a lot of folks "just there for the fun", so looking at these series for trendsetting is dubious.
That's a good point, of course, but that leaves the question of what the top 2% is running. If the crowd is following the fastest guys, then it would follow that the crowd's setup would be that of the fastest guys, at least in terms of the components used (setup is a whole different matter).

On the other hand, if the crowd isn't really following the fastest guys, then the adoption rate of a setup definitely can't be used as an indicator of which components are fastest.

Do you know something more about Pro Touring competition that makes it the one to look at for shocks? Barbaro seems to be just repeating what someone else told him, and you are just here backing up what he said... so that's 3rd hand information. I just try to caution people to look at their sources when basing costly, crucial purchases like monotube coilovers for their competition car. Do your home work.
I don't know anything more about the series myself. I'm just a spectator for any of this. But I can at least attempt to bring logic to bear on the problem. Of course, that doesn't work if there are hidden factors involved.

I completely agree with you, as regards any component selection decision: do the homework.

Time Attack groups in the USA have rampant sponsorship agreements so its not a great place to look for shock trends, either. Drifting... I won't even go there, but also rampant sponsorship deals and no real direct competition (this is a judged sport).
I don't consider drifting to be useful for the discussion myself, since it is judged on style and not performance.

Again, respectfully, it appears you have no depth of this situation either. I was personally involved with the decision makers who picked this shock for Spec Iron's new spec suspension. Vorshlag actually made two bids for this new series spec last year, both monotubes, including the MCS suggestion they went with.

They actually DID care about performance when they chose the MCS shock entry for the Spec Iron series. Why? Because the outgoing spec was still legal and pretty good stuff - and ironically, it was based on the JRI front strut. The rules makers for Spec Iron were driven to have the new spec not be slower than the old HVT/JRI spec shocks.
Well, okay, but that's a very different thing than picking the fastest thing out there, isn't it? It just can't be slower.

I wasn't aware that JRI was the outgoing shock. That means MCS has to be at least as good.

To fix this situation, rules makers for these series tend to "grandfather in" those old spec shocks for a number of years. So the new "spec" shock had to be as good or better, otherwise new builds for this class would be at a disadvantage, because the company who made the old spec in this case can no longer supply racers with the outgoing spec shock. So again, respectfully, sometimes there's more to a situation than you realize. :)
So it seems. :)

What? Man.... I.... I'm wondering how you can be this adamant about something yet still this wrong on so many things? What series are you thinking of? Again, this mythical one spec series (Spec Iron) has two legal shock specs - the old (HVT/JRI) and the new (MCS).
The classes you called out are Spec Iron, Spec E46, and Elan NP01 prototype. All of those specify the damper to be used, right? But I wasn't aware of the grandfathering thing. That helps, in that it means you end up with two different dampers competing with each other, but that doesn't mean that the replacement damper is the fastest available. My main point is that you can't use the choice of damper in a spec series as the basis for a claim about which damper is fastest.

But the images in my previous post, of NASA GTS and IMSA Pro Racing winners on MCS dampers I showed, all race in series have OPEN shock specs. All of the big boys play in these series, and there hasn't been a spec shock in the top US pro racing series in several years. Again, something I had a part of... we repaired many of the GRAND AM spec strut housings when they had a spec shock.
My apologies. I was going by the text with respect to the series involved, not the photos. Yes, the open series are definitely the ones that matter for this.

These racers I mentioned above (IMSA, etc) can choose between Moton, MCS, JRZ, Penske, Ohlins and even JRI. And they are some of the few folks that can afford to test the various brands and models as you alluded to. And again, what is winning the most this past season? MCS.
Then it's more likely than not that MCS makes a better damper than JRI does.

You might as well ask for a Unicorn for Christmas from Santa. :) Pro teams don't publish their testing results like this. That would be competitive suicide. And shops that sell dampers (like mine) don't have a good reason to post "negative reviews" of some brands like you want, either. It makes shops look like "the bad guy" when they trash talk other brands. I try really hard not to do that, but I'm not perfect.
I know. It's why I expect to be waiting a really long time. :frown:

EDIT: That said, this does raise a question: why don't shops like yours perform the experiments in question and, rather than making comments about the dampers that were tested, simply post the raw data (spring rates, damper settings, which track was used, weather conditions, logged speed/position/time data, etc.), and perhaps some derived data like what the average entry and exit speed was for each of the corners for each driver/damper combination, etc? That way, people could make their own determinations from the raw data, but at least the data would be there. Right now, we who have limited budgets are forced to make substantial and costly decisions on the basis of ignorance, and I'm not happy about that at all. Shops like yours may be in a position to change that, but only if they don't themselves have brand loyalty.

I just wanted dispute some of the unusual, somewhat unfounded claims that Barbaro kept making, over and over and over, almost like a broken record. It sounds from his own words that has only ever had ONE good set of monotube dampers (which can be a big change from twin tube offerings, once you experience these) and he's going to sing their praises. Good for him, but I take it form his posts that he also has no direct experience with other quality monotube dampers. He just repeats what someone else told him (these "authorities"). Also, I suspect he has no racing background on his car to fall back on as evidence of their exceptionalism. Again, that's not saying he cannot and should not speak up about JRI dampers, just that his limited experience doesn't make him the expert on all monotube brands.
I completely agree. There is some logic to his approach -- look at who is winning on what -- but I agree that more than that is really needed for selecting a proper damper.

No every opinion should have the same weight. That's what we all do here on these forums - try to convince others we are more right" than they are, right? :)
Heh. That certainly seems to be true of many. I'm in this to learn. I have opinions, but those opinions are subject to change on the basis of new/better data. All I can do is bring logic to the table, because at least I'm good at that.

Look, I don't mean to come off as a prick here. But when I see folks .... talking out of their depth I feel like I need to step in and fill in the gaps, if I can. I hope this helps and doesn't piss off Barbaro and kcbrown.
Doesn't piss me off at all. Quite the opposite. I enjoy being corrected when I miss something or make a mistake. Means I've learned something, and that's always valuable. :happythumbs:

Last edited:

Boone

Automotive Enthusiast
Reaction score
I want to thank all of the parties involved for taking the time to share their knowledge. This has been the most informative and polite difference of opinions I have witnessed on what I consider to be the single most important upgrade on our beloved S197.

Now, if I could just afford these high end components, I'd put this new found knowledge to work. Happy New Year!!!!

barbaro

forum member
Reaction score
Vorshlag, I said nothing that has not been said by people with higher credentials than me. You would be better off directing your comments towards Sutton, Bloch, Gitten, Dave Maier, NASCAR etc . . . . Who all use and or recommend JRI. Then maybe you can get them to use the shocks that YOU SELL FOR PROFIT.

I only know what I see, read and experience and I think I have been pretty up front on that. I am not an authority. I cited authority. I just did not cite you. MCS is approved for a race series. Great, I am sure they are very good shocks for our cars.

You denigrate pro-touring but I did not confine my observations to pro-touring. JRI is one of only three shocks used in NASCAR. Certainly a higher level then pro touring which you scoff at and a higher level of racing than anything MCS is involved in, but if there is more I am willing to be educated.

Now as to the precise measure that Sutton was referring to in his narrative on JRI's, ie. 25%, I only quoted him and I am not certain what he is referring to, but he is certainly referring to a demonstrable and positive difference between JRI's and the competition.

MCS is the competition and I am sure they are really good but how many people have them on mustangs? JRI's have been engineered for Mustangs by Cortex, Maximum Motorsports and Mike Maier. And there is a pretty established history on them. Not so with MCS. There is not much of a track record on them.

Also Cortex offers true rear JRI coilovers. You do not. You say that the shock tower can't handle the stress. Thousands of hours of racing and the collective experience of everybody I know contradicts that. Never seen a failure.

So despite your very comprehensive response you have still not made the case in my mind to stamp out all the others who put JRI at the top. And then I have also my experience to rely on and I think their nails as does everyone else who has them and that number is growing. MAYBE MCS is the great new thing, but you have to convince others with reputations greater than mine and denigrating me won't get you there.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
The matter of shock tower strength aside, the main problem I see with using true coilovers at the rear of a S197 is the sacrifices you will have to make in rear wheel and tire widths. I won't try to tell you how much you might lose, but I sure as hell wouldn't want to have to drop back to 18x10's just to guarantee clearance to rear coilover springs while still fitting at least the tire tread inside the stock fender contours. My sig picture shows 18x11's.

Norm

barbaro

forum member
Reaction score
Pretty sure I can run 11 inch rims and 315's on the back. Can't imagine going bigger than that.

csamsh

forum member
Reaction score
Now as to the precise measure that Sutton was referring to in his narrative on JRI's, ie. 25%, I only quoted him and I am not certain what he is referring to

Ok...so....NOBODY here is saying JRI isn't good stuff. It is. There are LOTS of good damper companies. JRI, MCS, AST, Moton, Penske, Ohlins, Sachs, and, yes, even some KW and Koni is legit.....etc....lots and lots of good shocks. Nobody is arguing that. Nobody is denigrating. Disagreement=/=denigrating. Debate=/=denigrating.

The problems we have are things like what I quoted- you said something, presented it in an argument, and you are just parroting. You yourself say you don't know what it means. That's the problem here. This board is full of engineer/scientist types, and....surprise...we like data, and are quite rigorous when taking in unverified information or opinion presented as fact, and are very picky about sources and verification of said information/opinion.

If you want to recommend JRI, GREAT! Just don't overstep what you actually know about the pieces and technology to which you are referring.

Jade Helm, Obama did it, Feinstein wants your guns, Trump wants to start WW3, Putin for president. It's the internet. People are going to be dicks if you're an unknown and you want your word taken as gospel without hard numbers to back it up.

Maybe I spend too much time on that other forum. Who knows. If you know what I mean, you know.

Have a nice Friday folks.

barbaro

forum member
Reaction score
Ok...so....NOBODY here is saying JRI isn't good stuff. It is. There are LOTS of good damper companies. JRI, MCS, AST, Moton, Penske, Ohlins, Sachs, and, yes, even some KW and Koni is legit.....etc....lots and lots of good shocks. Nobody is arguing that. Nobody is denigrating. Disagreement=/=denigrating. Debate=/=denigrating.

The problems we have are things like what I quoted- you said something, presented it in an argument, and you are just parroting. You yourself say you don't know what it means. That's the problem here. This board is full of engineer/scientist types, and....surprise...we like data, and are quite rigorous when taking in unverified information or opinion presented as fact, and are very picky about sources and verification of said information/opinion.

If you want to recommend JRI, GREAT! Just don't overstep what you actually know about the pieces and technology to which you are referring.

Jade Helm, Obama did it, Feinstein wants your guns, Trump wants to start WW3, Putin for president. It's the internet. People are going to be dicks if you're an unknown and you want your word taken as gospel without hard numbers to back it up.

Maybe I spend too much time on that other forum. Who knows. If you know what I mean, you know.

Have a nice Friday folks.
I have not said anything that was not backed up by others. I supplied several citations to original sources talking about their observations that JRI were increasingly dominating certain classes of racing (pro-touring and oval track) I made the observations that several "big names" in our world swear by them and I identified who those people are.

I quoted Hal Sutton's explanation as to why JRI'S were being observed to dominate certain classes of racing. He spoke of Superior 7 post testing. I am fairly certain few if any of you read the links I cited because Vorshpag attacks me as being out of my depth but I cited others observations, and downplayed my own.

MCS certainly are high end shocks but if we're supposed to take Vorshlag's word as gospel then I demand the same thing from him that you demand for me: Raw data on a 7 post machine demonstrating the superiority of the MCS shocks over the JRIs. Absent that, then his or your opinion is no better than mine and certainly not better than the "authorities" I cited. Also, the OP asked about coilovers. The rear dampers provided by Vorshlag are not coilovers at all. The reasons for that are Vorshlags belief that you can't fit a 315 out back. This is a "problem" Cortex solved long ago.

I do not expect my word to be taken as gospel but when 7 people voted a Vorshlag Bilstein non-adjustable set-up as better than a JRI set-up, then I have to chime in because that is complete bullshit.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
Until you can add intelligent interpretation of what's in your references, you will continue to project an image of being just another advertising shill for the companies and products involved.

Filip deserves better. I've read of one of his previous projects, watched a couple of his videos and done a little other poking around to see where he's coming from, and yes, he's all engineer from what I've been able to tell.

Terry's been at what he does for something like 20 years, with enough success to keep having to move into larger quarters.

Back to rear tire clearance, if this issue is being solved by relocating the shock pickup points it will not be class-legal in some activities, and I suspect would penalize you in others. Street and HPDE driving's formula-libre attitude does not cross over to other generally similar activities. This isn't a slam against Filip, only a comment that he may not be selling to quite the same market. Certainly not for all of his products (for example, his S197 SLA front suspension wouldn't be SCCA Solo-legal below C Prepared, meaning he isn't going to be selling very many of those units to folks with dual-purpose street & autocross cars).

I'll have to take a picture of the clearances the next time I put the rear 18x11's on . . .

Norm

csamsh

forum member
Reaction score
I do not expect my word to be taken as gospel but when 7 people voted a Vorshlag Bilstein non-adjustable set-up as better than a JRI set-up, then I have to chime in because that is complete bullshit.

Then you didn't read OP's requirements. He doesn't want a race damper for competition use. He wants a good damper to mostly drive on the streets and do the odd track day with. That is NOT an MCS or JRI. That is square in a nonadjustable Bilstein's wheelhouse.

2Fass240us

forum member
Reaction score
Then you didn't read OP's requirements. He doesn't want a race damper for competition use. He wants a good damper to mostly drive on the streets and do the odd track day with. That is NOT an MCS or JRI. That is square in a nonadjustable Bilstein's wheelhouse.
The OP also stated the following.
2. I like adjustability and will NOT go back to a simple spring and strut type setup
Did we determine if this was height, damping, or both? If only the former, the Bilstein setup makes the most sense.

I used to want damping adjustability, but now I'm all "ANGTFD" and "ANGM(oney)FD."

barbaro

forum member
Reaction score
Until you can add intelligent interpretation of what's in your references, you will continue to project an image of being just another advertising shill for the companies and products involved.

Filip deserves better. I've read of one of his previous projects, watched a couple of his videos and done a little other poking around to see where he's coming from, and yes, he's all engineer from what I've been able to tell.

Terry's been at what he does for something like 20 years, with enough success to keep having to move into larger quarters.

Back to rear tire clearance, if this issue is being solved by relocating the shock pickup points it will not be class-legal in some activities, and I suspect would penalize you in others. Street and HPDE driving's formula-libre attitude does not cross over to other generally similar activities. This isn't a slam against Filip, only a comment that he may not be selling to quite the same market. Certainly not for all of his products (for example, his S197 SLA front suspension wouldn't be SCCA Solo-legal below C Prepared, meaning he isn't going to be selling very many of those units to folks with dual-purpose street & autocross cars).

I'll have to take a picture of the clearances the next time I put the rear 18x11's on . . .

Norm

Another potshot from Norm the bench racer and inveterate poster ad infinitum. Terry Fair made the statement that not every opinion is entitled to the same weight . I agree completely and his opinion should be entitled to the least weight of all because it is clouded by commercial interest . And nothing twist the truth like the prospect of commercial advantage .

I have only associated Filip with roadracing not autocross. As for Terry, he is selling a product and thus the burden is on him to show the value of his product. Which by the definition of you and several others, he has not, because he has not provided any data whatsoever to back up his claim. I have referred to other's observations that JRI was dominating certain classes of races and JRIs have a solid track record with the S-197 platform that cannot be denied. Hall Sutton allegedly observed the data. I referred to Filip only because he has apparantly observed real world testing on the track as well. And Norm what have you observed with respect to these two choices? Nothing. So your opinion is even less valid than mine.

As for Terry Fair. He puts me down because I and others do not recommend his product, but he should really direct his comments to others. I observed his build for years and actually could have helped him on several issues based on my experience. For instance I could have told him that the aftermarket rear upper control arms on the S197 are loud clunking pieces of shit. I think I went through about three of them back in 2006.

I add to that, the fact that the MCS is not a real coilover package. And the OP did ask for coilovers. I also consider how wrong the both of you are with respect to rear tire fitment on true coilovers and I also consider the misinformation Terry has spread concerning the structural capability of the rear shock tower to handle a true coilover. I have forgotten none of it. So when it comes to expertise, I will look to others and I have.

Also the OP indicated he did not want a non adjustable set-up and did not care about how often he had to rebuild it. He wanted the best. Terry has not proven MCS is the best. And maybe neither did I prove my point, but I have provided more evidence than anyone here as to the validity of my position. Read the links I have provided and argue with them. Even with the data I am sure there is lots of room for opinions even yours Norm.

But before you call me a shill you better have the data to back it up, which you don't. Nobody here does so. So it is the ultimate in hypocrisy to put me down for not providing data which you require of noone else. So lets see the MCS v JRI data. Would not Terry Fair be in a position to provide this more so than any of us. We went through this same shit with the torque arm. Both the torque arm and the JRI's are the best choice for our cars. Ask Mike Mustoe too. I was right then and I suspect I am right now.

Meanwhile you can see my overly modified car in person at Fontana in February. Because this car does see the track and I invite anyone to drive it and judge for themselves.

Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back