What have you done to your mustang today?

Saleen304

forum member
Reaction score
Found out why I have low compression on cylinder 2.

53a231eea98bc67eb20cb659a1e3ddcc.jpg

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
Swapped the waste gate for the new one. Double checked everything to make sure that it is set up correctly, put a clamp on the line so that there wasn't a leak at the waste gate.

Took it for a test drive. Still overboosts. The 5 lb spring went to 7-8 before I hit 4,000 rpm in third gear.

I sent an email to John Urist at Hellion. I don't know what will be next. I'm ready to pull it off and say at least give me a refund, after blowing up 2 engines

Any chance you can put in a 3 lb spring?

You know, to let it overboost to ~5 and be OK?

tigerhonaker

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Swapped the waste gate for the new one. Double checked everything to make sure that it is set up correctly, put a clamp on the line so that there wasn't a leak at the waste gate.

Took it for a test drive. Still overboosts. The 5 lb spring went to 7-8 before I hit 4,000 rpm in third gear.

I sent an email to John Urist at Hellion. I don't know what will be next. I'm ready to pull it off and say at least give me a refund, after blowing up 2 engines

Jim C,

image.php

Man I know it has gotten way past old messing with this over-boost thing.
If I had a clue or knew who to tell you to see I would.

Sorry buddy that things have gone the way they are with your Mustang.
icon9.gif

Terry

Saleen304

forum member
Reaction score
Sorry to see that. But it is a very interesting failure... Is that the only piston affected?

Yes only piston. I did a compression test and this one measured 140 and the others were 180-190. Good thing is the cylinder bore has no damage. Bearings looks awesome. Just need a new piston.

GoneFord

forum member
Reaction score
Yes only piston. I did a compression test and this one measured 140 and the others were 180-190. Good thing is the cylinder bore has no damage. Bearings looks awesome. Just need a new piston.

It's fantastic that you found it before the damage was compounded. What prompted you to do a CT?

Saleen304

forum member
Reaction score
It was quite a series of events. I blew the ends off two spark plugs in March of this year. I had done it 1 other time and did a compression test and all was fine. After it happened this time, the engine ran fine so I didn't worry about it.
So a month or so ago I broke an idler pulley that put a nice carved slot in my timing chain cover. I replaced it along with the oil pump (gt500 with TSS gears). Put it all back together and was like maybe I should just do a quick leak down and compression test. That's when my heart sank.

Grabber Blue 5.0

forum member
Reaction score
Installed the Corsa Extreme catback and a Bob's catch can. Both leave a lot to be desired for fitment but we got them to work. Nothing beats OEM for fitment.

Attachments

• Corsa.jpg
    Corsa.jpg
    251.9 KB · Views: 15

Grubb

forum member
Reaction score
I was inspired by your post. I am still working on it but called it a night. My guess is it has never been flushed in 9 years.

8d507344337efe19200343d0baa72fbd_zpso76ohbcq.jpg

It's something I never paid much attention too but when I flushed them there was a little air in all the lines, especially the rear. I noticed a big difference the other day when everyone decided there was a imaginary stop sign on the freeway lol

JimC

Reaction score
Any chance you can put in a 3 lb spring?

You know, to let it overboost to ~5 and be OK?
I thought about that, but the problem is that with the 5 lb spring it will go well over 10 lbs. So I'm not sure a 3 lb spring would do it, or if it would even open the waste gate as the 5 lb spring is supposed to, and doesn't for some reason. It just seems like the waste gate won't open when it should - I can hear it when I let off but it won't open under WOT.

GallopingFord

I'm Cam - Mr. Indecisive
Reaction score
Installed the Corsa Extreme catback and a Bob's catch can. Both leave a lot to be desired for fitment but we got them to work. Nothing beats OEM for fitment.

What snag did you run into with the Corsa system? I just did a S550 one a month ago and it went off without a hitch.

As for the BOS, I wasn't 100% satisfied with the price.

Grabber Blue 5.0

forum member
Reaction score
What snag did you run into with the Corsa system? I just did a S550 one a month ago and it went off without a hitch.
First problem was the x-pipe on the front side. One of the tubes was out of round and had to be massaged to get the 2.5"-3" adapter in. That was the easy part. The hard part was getting that adapter on the 2.5" side to fit inside the factory clamp. The opening in the factory clamp measured the same diameter as the adapter and had to be taken apart and spread apart as far as possible to get them mated.

Grabber Blue 5.0

forum member
Reaction score
As far as the Bob's catch can they sent me instructions for a 2011-2014 car and Ford made changes obviously. I just happened to have a rubber hose molded to fit better than the supplied hose they give you which would have to be looped around to fit the lower fitting on the can since they're at different angles.

Attachments

• Bob's.jpg
    Bob's.jpg
    426.5 KB · Views: 23

07 Boss

Reaction score
Just gathering a few items.

6-7 years ago when I got this car and decided to mod it I put together a build list. These A-arms and the K-member I'm waiting on are the last couple of pieces I need to complete my my original build plan. The list has grown and I have gone astray on a few items but it will be a nice milestone to hit after all these years.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back