What have you done to your mustang today?

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Id believe that if i didnt have over 30 revisions from Lund and all of them had knock. Eventually they blamed it on bad gas. Im sure 15 different stations all had bad gas at different times in the year.

I have had knock due to shitty winter gas, they leave a lot more aromatics in, I doubt they even know the octane is 91 any more under typical driving conditions.. I'm just a little more careful on the shoulder of my driving season, no loading up hills at a lower rpm, etc.

I added some octane booster and knock went away. I guess I have to find better gas.

Or go flex fuel tune.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

They might also have too much timing into the tune

Well before this shitty winter blend hit, all was fine.

FWIW cold air is denser. This means it is concentrated and needs more fuel and/or less timing.

IIRC there is no longer winter gas. It's all the same.

Do a dyno or run at the drag strip in good air (cold and dense). It makes a difference in power output and more power due to denser air (think of boost) requires less spark advance or less resistance to ignition via a higher octane.

Just another reason to keep the knock sensors active and let them pull spark advance when needed. This is especially important in cold winter climates.

Strengthrehab

forum member
Reaction score
FWIW cold air is denser. This means it is concentrated and needs more fuel and/or less timing.

IIRC there is no longer winter gas. It's all the same.

Do a dyno or run at the drag strip in good air (cold and dense). It makes a difference in power output and more power due to denser air (think of boost) requires less spark advance or less resistance to ignition via a higher octane.

Just another reason to keep the knock sensors active and let them pull spark advance when needed. This is especially important in cold winter climates.
I get this. Yet I am getting knock when it is 80 degrees (yes, it still reaches 80 here in Houston in January)

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
I get this. Yet I am getting knock when it is 80 degrees (yes, it still reaches 80 here in Houston in January)

The knock sensors should detect this and lower the spark advance a certain amount. How much spark advance is taken away depends on a few tables in the tune.

Under no circumstances should the motor knock with modern engine management.

Bad gas is always a possibility but in reality bad gas usually has something that increases octane (resistance to ignition) like water. Winter gas is usually 10% ethanol. Ethanol resists ignition more than gasoline. It requires more spark advance to fully combust and does not cause knock in a gasoline tune.

With that said I have no idea what your fuel is comprised of. If it's normal gasoline with 10% ethanol then it's not the cause of preignition because Ethanol resists ignition more than gasoline.

In any case I hope you get it figured out because as you know preignition will destroy any motor.

Onelildude

forum member
Reaction score
Changed the condenser in my car today. Other than having to full it out from the bottom of the car, it was pretty easy

Bill220

forum member
Reaction score
Thought about it and don't even want to look at it.

I spent an entire week completely detailing the car inside and out, and the undercarriage. Plus I Dr. Color Chipped the entire damn thing. There weren't a lot of chips but it took a while. Now I have to re-polish the areas the chips were in. I'm really OCD about the car being clean and as perfect as possible to the point where it takes the fun out of it for me. I won't want to drive it when it's done, LOL. Seriously.

The blower install has ground to a halt. I don't want to deal with it. The entire experience, from ordering it to getting it in have been an unpleasant experience for me. I received all the ancillary shit like plugs, injectors, fuel pump etc. right away but the blower was delayed for weeks and I kept getting the run around. Was promised a tracking number via email numerous times, which never came until I got nasty with the vendor. I've called there for advice and it's like they don't give a shit, like I'm not important and a nuisance.

Parts of the kit (pulleys and fittings) seem cheap and flimsy. The only thing that seems to be of high quality to me is the head unit. The relocation point for the power steering reservoir is half assed. The small PS line has a slight bend in it but it's not kinked. I hope it works. If not I'll have to find a new place to put it. I haven't relocated the coolant reservoir yet and the belt still isn't on but I got some good ideas on here for that.

I still have to install injectors, fuel pump, belt, drill and tap the intake manifold for the IAT sensor and wire it. I'm afraid to do that since I've never tapped anything in my life. Plus I have the Aeroforce gauge to install, wire, and program.

My son has been a godsend. He's done a lot of the work. He's intelligent, patient, and very creative. Plus he's an electrician so he can do the wiring.

Kuplex

Software Developer
Reaction score
Swapped my 17" spare out with a 18" spare. Wouldn't clear my 11-14 brakes if I got a flat.

Also installed a new FRPP replacement throttle body. Same as OEM. Cleaned mine a few times but still got hanging when coming to a stop and even more scary sometimes, a slowly increasing RPMs when my foot was off at a stop light. After the new FRPP unit, everything is smooth as silk. No hanging, no hesitation, no idle hunting or rising. All good again.

Bill220

forum member
Reaction score
Swapped my 17" spare out with a 18" spare. Wouldn't clear my 11-14 brakes if I got a flat.

Also installed a new FRPP replacement throttle body. Same as OEM. Cleaned mine a few times but still got hanging when coming to a stop and even more scary sometimes, a slowly increasing RPMs when my foot was off at a stop light. After the new FRPP unit, everything is smooth as silk. No hanging, no hesitation, no idle hunting or rising. All good again.

I have to get something in case I get a flat. The canister in my car is spent. I have 18's and a spare won't fit in the well.

travelers

Reaction score
I just picked up my car from having the Tremic T56 Magnum XL, McLeod RST Twin disc, Alum driveshaft, FRPP 3:73 gears, Detroit True Trac, Strange C clip eliminator axels, FRPP high rev crank sensor, new Clutch line. I think that was it.

It definitely drives different. I'll have it out Weather permitting this weekend for some brake in time on the clutch and gears. Talk about positive shifting, I'll have to report back on further driving expenses.

eicht

forum member
Reaction score
Thought about it and don't even want to look at it.

I spent an entire week completely detailing the car inside and out, and the undercarriage. Plus I Dr. Color Chipped the entire damn thing. There weren't a lot of chips but it took a while. Now I have to re-polish the areas the chips were in. I'm really OCD about the car being clean and as perfect as possible to the point where it takes the fun out of it for me. I won't want to drive it when it's done, LOL. Seriously.

The blower install has ground to a halt. I don't want to deal with it. The entire experience, from ordering it to getting it in have been an unpleasant experience for me. I received all the ancillary shit like plugs, injectors, fuel pump etc. right away but the blower was delayed for weeks and I kept getting the run around. Was promised a tracking number via email numerous times, which never came until I got nasty with the vendor. I've called there for advice and it's like they don't give a shit, like I'm not important and a nuisance.

Parts of the kit (pulleys and fittings) seem cheap and flimsy. The only thing that seems to be of high quality to me is the head unit. The relocation point for the power steering reservoir is half assed. The small PS line has a slight bend in it but it's not kinked. I hope it works. If not I'll have to find a new place to put it. I haven't relocated the coolant reservoir yet and the belt still isn't on but I got some good ideas on here for that.

I still have to install injectors, fuel pump, belt, drill and tap the intake manifold for the IAT sensor and wire it. I'm afraid to do that since I've never tapped anything in my life. Plus I have the Aeroforce gauge to install, wire, and program.

My son has been a godsend. He's done a lot of the work. He's intelligent, patient, and very creative. Plus he's an electrician so he can do the wiring.

May I ask what kit you purchased and (if you want to say) who you purchased it from?

bujeezus

forum member
Reaction score
Been wanting to try some Aerospace 303 protectant forever and finally grabbed a bottle. It's on the expensive side as far as protectants I've used in the past go, but this stuff impressed the hell outta me.

Bill220

forum member
Reaction score
Been wanting to try some Aerospace 303 protectant forever and finally grabbed a bottle. It's on the expensive side as far as protectants I've used in the past go, but this stuff impressed the hell outta me.

Does it last long? I bought some Ultima Trim Guard and it made the trim look great. It's supposed to last for months but the car is sitting in the garage for winter so I won't know if it lives up to that claim for a while.

bujeezus

forum member
Reaction score
It's only been on there a couple of days but so far, so good. I was really impressed with how it turned that plastic part under the windshield wipers from grey back to black. Seems to do better with plastic stuff than the leather on the seats though.

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
I have to get something in case I get a flat. The canister in my car is spent. I have 18's and a spare won't fit in the well.

I had one of my stock Track Pack/Brembo 19x9's in the trunk as a spare for a while, jack under it, air pump there too.
It had a stock-size (255/40/19) tire on it, and while it didn't fit perfectly, it fit.
The trunk floor/cover piece didn't sit flush, but it also didn't look terrible, and I had a spare.
Sold it recently, hoping to do a smaller 18x8 / 235/50/18 set-up at some point.

bujeezus

forum member
Reaction score
I bought a cheap 17" stocker with tire off Ebay. It doesn't sit flush but it's not as noticeable as the sag in the trunk floor was when I didn't have a spare. It's better than nothing, IMHO.

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
I should get an 18" wheel and tire mounted up at home so when I get a flat I can get it flown out to me in a helicopter or something.

I'm making an aluminum tire well cover to go underneath the flimsy ass stock one.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back