What would you do? Pypes Fitment issue...

Drkmrkiv

forum member
Reaction score
Good call on Pro Dyno, they are a good shop.

His shop does excellent work. I'm glad I have a shop like his near me.

Still not clicking for me. How long after the install did the car make it before you started having issues? I can tell you my Pypes LT's and Pypes O/R X will *not* fit together for shit if one of the headers were 1-1/2" out of spec. My mid-pipe unbolted from the headers rests on the collectors. 1-1/2" up/down/front/back/side and I would have to force the midpipe or modify it. That said, if the headers were out of spec from the initial install by 1-1/2" it would be ignorant not to notice. If the headers failed after install, at what point did you notice an exhaust leak/banging sound?

I'm only pushing this because like any manufacturer/business they will likely try to determine cause of failure. If they inspect those broken welds and find the metal was thin or lacked fusion it will be obvious and you're in the clear. If they find the primaries were dented/forced and the weld was stressed or ripped/torn they will likely call you and tell you they don't warranty improper installation (or damaged during installation).

Totally possible you got a bunk set of headers, and if so I would ask for them to cover your labor cost/shipping. Never hurts to ask. I'd just hope they don't say it was damaged upon installation. I'm sure they'll still work with you, but you'll eat all the bills.

Cliffs:
Bought Pypes in late July. These are my first set of V8 headers, ever.
Save for giving them a cursory glance, I did not inspect them thoroughly.
Had them installed at a small shop.
After getting them installed, I noticed the headers were banging against the frame of the car. I chalked it up to needing to adjust the axle backs.
Brought the car by ProDyno in early November and was informed of the fitment and exhaust leaks.

I would have brought them by sooner, but I work full time and in Grad school. I don't know what free time is. People tell me about it and say it's nice.

I purchased the headers through Lethal. They told me to call Pypes and deal with them on the issue. Called Pypes. Asked what I could do about it. They said send pictures and if deemed a defect, they'd send me an RMA number and me send them the headers. They'd send me a different set once they receive my set. And that's when I posted here, asking for ideas and inspiration.

And that's where I sit today. Here is a picture.
Taken from the passenger side. The passenger side header is tucked up near the frame rail. I hope this shows how the driver's side is angled downward.

1520741_182295475311081_1358616245_n.jpg

Last edited:

Jeffk

forum member
Reaction score
PYPES... I hope you have better luck with their customer service than I did.

If you're really in a bind and can't handle paying to get Dan's guy to swap them out again and again I'd be happy to help you if you want to bring it by the house. I'm about 1.5 hours from you. I don't think Dan is a huge Pypes fan either.

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
I would be going after the shop that did the install too. They should have known they were not fitting right and told you before they buttoned the car up, period. I’ve run a few shops and had one of my own (motorcycle stuff though) and I’ll tell ya, you have all the power. If you take them to small claims court they will loose (I never had to go to small claims court because of my shop, just the ones I worked for-shitty owners). The deep pockets rule applies almost 100% of the time.

Drkmrkiv

forum member
Reaction score
I would be going after the shop that did the install too. They should have known they were not fitting right and told you before they buttoned the car up, period. I’ve run a few shops and had one of my own (motorcycle stuff though) and I’ll tell ya, you have all the power. If you take them to small claims court they will loose (I never had to go to small claims court because of my shop, just the ones I worked for-shitty owners). The deep pockets rule applies almost 100% of the time.

Honestly, you may think so, but it'll be hard.

I could argue "fitness for particular purpose" against the shop... Maybe.

Going after a small shop is pretty hard. I can claim implied warranty claims, etc. etc.

It really just comes down to me making a mistake. I did not inspect the headers closely upon receipt.

jmstang66

Mayhem Mustang Winner
Reaction score
like I told you yesterday man...I haven't seen too many sets of Pypes that didn't have fitment issues...from catbacks on 96-98 cars, to headers on the newer cars..seems there has always been fitment issues..never seen it like that though..hope they work it out with you man

Drkmrkiv

forum member
Reaction score
That's the thing. I've heard Pypes back in the day had a fair amount of issues but seemed to have gotten their products straightened up over the last few years. Pypes owners on here gave me the reassurance that I'd get a decent fitting product.

strictly180

forum member
Reaction score
like i said before i didnt have any fitment issues with my headers @ all. did you call mike zimmerman?? he was the one who helped me out and they went out thier way for me. i actually bought my whole setup from them @ one of the local swap meets. one of the reasons why i went with the pypes setup was cuz of wbt.

Last edited:

wbt

forum member
Reaction score
I'd get your money back from Pypes and go with Stainless works or Kooks.

He is going to have fitment issues with those brands as well and they don't have the proper primary tube placement.

He is better off sticking with Pypes and getting the drive side header sorted out.

Someone earlier mentioned using a CC to buy another brand of header so there is only 1 labor charge. How about the OP working out a deal with Pypes to purchase a replacement header and sending the original back for credit once swapped. If for some reason Pypes doesn't uphold the agreement dispute the charge after the original is sent back.

Low risk and both sides get what they want.

Drkmrkiv

forum member
Reaction score
He is going to have fitment issues with those brands as well and they don't have the proper primary tube placement.

He is better off sticking with Pypes and getting the drive side header sorted out.

Someone earlier mentioned using a CC to buy another brand of header so there is only 1 labor charge. How about the OP working out a deal with Pypes to purchase a replacement header and sending the original back for credit once swapped. If for some reason Pypes doesn't uphold the agreement dispute the charge after the original is sent back.

Low risk and both sides get what they want.

Can you explain the lack of proper primary tube placement? Yes, that is a good idea about the charge.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
I have to ask this question. Are you sure that the headers you supplied were installed on your car?

vincent518

forum member
Reaction score
The only thing worse than pypes quality is there customer service. Here are assume pics of some junk they sent me.
hybyjuge.jpg
8ejy5e7y.jpg
6e3abade.jpg
8emazu2a.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

wbt

forum member
Reaction score
The only thing worse than pypes quality is there customer service. Here are assume pics of some junk they sent me.
hybyjuge.jpg
8ejy5e7y.jpg
6e3abade.jpg
8emazu2a.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

This is on what year model car? Their 2011+ stuff is damn good.

Scott_0

forum member
Reaction score
I'd get your money back from Pypes and go with Stainless works or Kooks.
dont fool yourself, they have their fair share of fitment issues as well, but at the price they charge.......any fitment issue is inexcusable

Jeffk

forum member
Reaction score
dont fool yourself, they have their fair share of fitment issues as well, but at the price they charge.......any fitment issue is inexcusable

I'm not fooling anyone. I had a set of Pypes that wouldn't fit my 09. I contacted Pypes asking to BUY one header. It turned into a shit storm because their crap is mass produced somewhere. (overseas?) And the customer service sucked ass with Mike Zimmerman basically saying that I didn't know what the fuck I was doing and that I must be installing it wrong.
Since both myself and the OP are in NC as is Kooks if he had a problem with their product he could drive to their shop in Statesville and probably have a new piece in his hand immediately. I bought a set of Kooks off a member here and surprise, surprise, they fit like they were actually made for the car!

I'm not knocking Pypes just to be a dick and I didn't come in the thread at full blast. I really just posted to offer up my garage and help removing/installing whatever he decided to do since it can get costly paying a shop to do it.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back